Planars: Ok, I finally get it.
May 26, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #91 of 126
I use the Loki on all my headphones.
It can also reduce.
I don't have the loki. However I DO have the BBE Sonic Maximizer. Its more than an eq and after getting it I would never not have one. That is a big big change from my purest anti-tone control ways. I even use the bass boost on my headphone amp. Heresy!!! But happy.

May 27, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #92 of 126
They must have coined the term because it looks like a wall on a 3D perspective view CSD plots. Calling it a wall really makes no sense. Ringing does however. It looks like some sort of resonance if it's lasting. I really can't take these graphs beyond a grain of salt, so if the 'ortho wall' shows up on a crappy rig, why would I believe it really does exist (unless I heard it before I saw it in measurements)? Instead of supposing something is there on from a crappy measurement rig, it would make sense to prioritize an accurate measurement rig than speculate from a result that accuracy is questionable.

Just because their "rig" may not agree w/ your current favorite site - it doesn't follow that their CSD chart is "equally crappy". Where are the Rtings CSD graphs? I find those charts very interesting and useful when trying to ID to worst areas of ringing. Rtings seems to believe in Frequency over all other concerns. Then Oratory 1990 mucks it up with their "one size fits none" bass bias to meet some arbitrary goal of matching a headphone to some guys listening room. Given they seem to be enlightened on a number of topics, it's a shame that they are so amateurish on that one.

May 27, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #93 of 126
What did you think of the T50RP. I'm thinking of getting the T20.
The T50rp is a great can, with a lot of modding capability. I havnt listened to it in ages so I cannot accurately describe the sound, but it was what got me into planars. Went from them to a he-400, then a EL-8, a isine 10 and now my pinnacle is the LCD-2F. For its price the T50RP is a excellent starting point into the planar world.

May 27, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #94 of 126
I never really noticed a difference between my planars (blon b20) and other dynamic headphones I tried. They just seemed like any other headphone.

May 27, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #96 of 126
The T50rp is a great can, with a lot of modding capability. I havnt listened to it in ages so I cannot accurately describe the sound, but it was what got me into planars. Went from them to a he-400, then a EL-8, a isine 10 and now my pinnacle is the LCD-2F. For its price the T50RP is a excellent starting point into the planar world.

Thanks,

What do you consider the best you've owned?

May 27, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #98 of 126
Do keep in mind that the M1060C is among the bassiest or possibly even the bassiest closed back planar headphone available and there are not many options available in the same category (of bassy closed planars). The ones I know of are Audeze Mobius, Aeon Flow Closed ReTuned version, LCD-XC, LCD2C Closed Back. I have the last one and it's not nearly as bassy as the M1060C.

Have to take that last bit back as I tried the LCD2CCB with a balanced (4 core copper) cable for the first time today and that makes it closer to the M1060C on bass while also having more accurate mids. Puts it on first place of my headphones. Wasn't really expecting such a big change with the balanced cable.

Edit: OTOH, the M1060C responds better/more to the increased bass slam from an OTL tube amp. Oh well, too many good headphones :beyersmile:

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #99 of 126
LCD-2F, and the isine 10, listening to the 2F now lol.
Forgive my ignorance, is "2F" an unofficial/informal reference to the regular "LCD-2" model?

May 27, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #100 of 126
I use the Loki on all my headphones.
It can also reduce.
I wanted to say thanks, I ordered a Loki based on your info. It wasn't on my radar before.

May 27, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #101 of 126
Forgive my ignorance, is "2F" an unofficial/informal reference to the regular "LCD-2" model?

I think it refers to a Fazor version of the LCD2.

May 27, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #103 of 126
I wanted to say thanks, I ordered a Loki based on your info. It wasn't on my radar before.

Enjoy, it is a damn fine piece of gear.
Wouldn't want to miss it in my system anymore.

May 27, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #104 of 126
Oratory 1990 has this theory that headphones should match speakers in rooms re: bass.
I think I red that Oratory's target curve is mostly based on Harman curve. Which I think is currently based partially on speakers in a room and the test about how average people prefer their headphones. Generally people preferred more bass, and more treble on expense of midrange. Ad that consumer preference to need for bass if you want to simulate speakers, you get one bass heavy target curve. Again, correct if I'm wrong but it is my understanding that Rtings uses similar curve. It leads to ridiculous claims, such as Audeze's LCD headphones needing a bass boost and so on. I'm not saying they're wrong though. It is a matter of taste. Personally I prefer boosted bass, especially in low subbass region. Because of my speaker background I'm always after that visceral impact and some added subbass makes headphones just a tad closer to speakers(IMO).

Overall I however find Oratorys eq's most suitable for low volume listening. It's at low listening levels when some bass boost and extra treble comes in handy. I think they should somehow add in Fletcher-Munson curve because as it is I think Oratory/Rtings/Harman is just a V-style/Low volume listening kind of thing.

May 27, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #105 of 126
Personally I prefer boosted bass, especially in low subbass region. Because of my speaker background I'm always after that visceral impact and some added subbass makes headphones just a tad closer to speakers(IMO).

Same. You may want to try the Tri I3 iems, their sound is like that more than any heaphone I know of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back