Planars for Rock & Prog?
Dec 15, 2015 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Rocker UK

Head-Fier
I have a few pairs of dynamic driver headphones in the Denon AH-D7000, Shure SRH-1540 and Beyer DT990 so 1 open 2 closed and I love them all.  However I have been toying with the idea of adding a further high end pair, probably open back to balance things up.

I have been considering a few sets notably the HD650 but am not really sure it would add anything to the DT990 as that's still my day to day go to headphone despite being the least expensive? 

So I have also been thinking about planars in the HE-400i, HE-560 and also the Oppo PM3.  Trouble is I can't get to listen before I buy and have simply never heard them.  I listen to a lot of rock and prog music so whatever I get HAS to have sufficient bottom end without being boomy.  The above headphones pretty much define the sound I like as a reference point.

So - can anyone help with:

a) How the planars (or others) would fare with rock - are they sufficient with bass or over detailed lending them better to other genres?

b) I have a budget of around £600 GBP - which of them is the better buy?

Hope you guys can help - thanks!
beerchug.gif

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Have you considered Audeze EL-8 open-backs? I've demoed them a couple of times and have been particularly impressed with them for rock music, having more body to the sound reproduction than a lot of dynamics I've tried around the same price range. I found them to be smooth, but not at the expense of detail and clarity. The low-end packs a punch without being boomy IMO. They're right at the top of your budget, but I personally prefer them to a couple of the other headphones you mention.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 11
While not exactly on your list, I use a set of LCD2's and listen to quite a bit of rock and indie. They hit that sweet spot of bass extension and are extremely smooth without being boomy.

While a little out of your price range, they were clear upgrade to my ears from HD650's and DT880's (600 ohm). I would search around and see if you could find a place to try and audition some planars though if you have never listened to a pair. Might be worth the trip to find out how the look, sound, and feel in person.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 11
I listen to these genres. I should have the ZMF Omni in a couple weeks or so and I will report back here as to how they sound. I've read that the Omni sounds like "how the LCD2 should have sounded." My beef with the LCD2 is that I think it sounds compressed when reproducing vocals. I shall see how the Omni does!

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks guys really helpful.  I hadn't actually considered the Audeze cans as had always assumed that they were out of my range.  I will struggle to demo any of them though so it may be a bit of a shot in the dark.

In the UK the Oppo PM3 gets absolutely rave reviews - any views on those over the HE-560 or the EL-8's - those 3 seem to be the top contenders from your comments and my original feelings.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 11
  Thanks guys really helpful.  I hadn't actually considered the Audeze cans as had always assumed that they were out of my range.  I will struggle to demo any of them though so it may be a bit of a shot in the dark.

In the UK the Oppo PM3 gets absolutely rave reviews - any views on those over the HE-560 or the EL-8's - those 3 seem to be the top contenders from your comments and my original feelings.

One thing to remember is the Oppo PM3 is a closed can while the other two are open and you did say originally you were looking for an open back. I've never heard the HE-650 so someone else can probably offer you a comparison there.

I'm probably in a minority in preferring the EL-8 (both open- and closed-back versions) to the PM3, but there it is. The PM3 is a little too smooth and laid back for my liking, with the genres I listen to most (electronic, rock, hip-hop) - I prefer something a bit more punchy.

I was actually considering the EL-8 CB as a portable myself, but it's just too big and heavy on the head for portable use I decided. That is something to bear in mind actually - EL-8 is pretty heavy, but saying that, very comfortable, and the build quality is excellent.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #9 of 11
Yep you are absolutely right I missed that and I think it's open back I want as I have 2 closed and they are good enough.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back