Planar Wars 2022: LETSHOUER S12 Vs 7Hz Crinacle Dioko Vs Tin HiFi P1 Max
Jul 27, 2022 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

gadgetgod

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello Friends,

Hope you guys are doing great. Today I am doing a battle among the three budget Planar IEMs of 2022, the latest launched 7Hz X Crinacle Dioko, LETSHUOER S12, and the Tin HiFi P1 Max. I will be posting my thoughts here on this thread. Everyone is welcome to share their thoughts on the other Planars too like the 7Hz Timeless, and more. I am testing these three out as I only have these with me as of now.

Happy posting!!
planar wars.jpg

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 60
First of all Fit,

There is nothing beating the LETSHUOER S12 in this department, it fits like a charm. I just love how easy and comfortable it is. Also, it isolates me properly from the surrounding noises. Tin HiFi P1 Max follows very closely to S12 in terms of fit. Very comfortable and isolating. Dioko is a disappointment in terms of fit. It has a strange oval-shaped shell, not very comfortable, neither much isolating. Still doing some tip rolling for Dioko.

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 60
Talking about their power requirements, I would say LETSHUOER S12 takes the least volume level out of the three. I am using it at around 25/100 volume level on mid-gain on my Shanling M7. P1 Max is at around 35-38/100 on mid-gain, Dioko is easily around 45-50/100 on mid-gain.

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 60
P1 Max shows an emphasis on the Mid-bass in the lower end. The slams are real, they remind me of the slams I used to get from Hifiman Sundara when I got it a few years back. Even with such a slamming Bass response, the P1 Max doesn't feel boomy or overly bassy. I find it to have good clarity in the other regions as well. Mids are slightly more forward in comparison to the S12 here. Treble detailing is smooth and inoffensive yet nicely detailed. I won't say these extend as good as the S12 though in the treble region. Sub-bass presence can be felt but the main bass region has a slamming response. Soundstage-wise, P1 Max has the deepest soundstage among the three.

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 60
Coming to the Dioko,
Soundwise the Dioko has a neat presentation. It has a balanced sound profile, nothing feels much emphasized. Bass region is a little lean, could use more body, but it hits you with quick punches in the mid-bass region. Sub-bass presence can be felt but doesn't go much deep, mid-bass is punchy but not as slamming as the P1 Max. Dioko sounds quite refined and shows good detail retrieval. I would say if P1 Max has fun and musical presentation with a hint of warmth, the Dioko has a balanced, neutral sound signature with excellent detailing for the price. The planar driver here works with good speed and the output shows good texture throughout the frequency band. Treble is a little forward but not offensive to me. I find it rich with details. Soundstage-wise, it has good width, P1 Max still wins it for me in depth.

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 60
It's time for the LETSHUOER S12 now,

S12 is my absolute favorite among the three. It presents you with a rich sound presentation( I would say not as lush as the P1 Max), but it instantly gives a premium feel. Detail retrieval is more or less identical to the Dioko, but the vocals sound lush and clean. I would say the vocals have the most natural presentation on the S12 for me. Also the midrange is a little relaxed compared to the other two frequencies. Lower-end maintains a balance between the mid-bass and sub-bass regions. It goes the deepest among the three. S12 shows good texture in the lower end, and slams in the mid-bass regions are as refined as they can be at this budget. But I would still say, once you listen to the slams of P1 Max, everything else feels dull lol. P1 Max has the best slams among the three hands down. Midrange in comparison to the Dioko and P1 Max feels a little recessed but it doesn't lose anything on the details front. Treble region, some might find it a little lean. I find it to be clean and precise and good for my taste. I don't find the pair to lack body, but it's a little energetic in the treble region.

Speedwise, S12 is identical to the Dioko but with a better bass definition. Soundstage-wise, All three have good width, and P1 Max wins in-depth department. If you are someone who prefers slamming bass response, P1 Max is the one for you, if you want a rich, energetic sound, S12 is the one, and if you want a balanced sound and can do with a little lean presentation Dioko is a good set at a bargain price!!

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 60
It's time for the LETSHUOER S12 now,

S12 is my absolute favorite among the three. It presents you with a rich sound presentation( I would say not as lush as the P1 Max), but it instantly gives a premium feel. Detail retrieval is more or less identical to the Dioko, but the vocals sound lush and clean. I would say the vocals have the most natural presentation on the S12 for me. Also the midrange is a little relaxed compared to the other two frequencies. Lower-end maintains a balance between the mid-bass and sub-bass regions. It goes the deepest among the three. S12 shows good texture in the lower end, and slams in the mid-bass regions are as refined as they can be at this budget. But I would still say, once you listen to the slams of P1 Max, everything else feels dull lol. P1 Max has the best slams among the three hands down. Midrange in comparison to the Dioko and P1 Max feels a little recessed but it doesn't lose anything on the details front. Treble region, some might find it a little lean. I find it to be clean and precise and good for my taste. I don't find the pair to lack body, but it's a little energetic in the treble region.

Speedwise, S12 is identical to the Dioko but with a better bass definition. Soundstage-wise, All three have good width, and P1 Max wins in-depth department. If you are someone who prefers slamming bass response, P1 Max is the one for you, if you want a rich, energetic sound, S12 is the one, and if you want a balanced sound and can do with a little lean presentation Dioko is a good set at a bargain price!!
I had very similar takeaways from my comparative review of S12 and P1 Max.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 60
Sub-bass presence can be felt but doesn't go much deep,
Interesting. Others have said that the sub-bass is overwhelming! Could it be an issue with the tips/seal?

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 60
Interesting. Others have said that the sub-bass is overwhelming! Could it be an issue with the tips/seal?
It might be because the fit is seriously an issue with the Dioko. Atleast for me.

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 60
I have the 7Hz Timeless, Dioko and Hook-X. From all three, the Hook-X is the clear winner in term of sound quality, second place will be the Timeless and the last place is Dioko.
The Hook-X soundstage is a little bit like UM Mest MKII where it just envelope you. The Timeless and Dioko sounds closed in compare to the Hook-X.
The Timeless win in detail retrieval, but the Hook-X is no slouch either. It might be due to our ears perceived there is more detail because the Hook-X has a warmer tone on the mid while the Timeless and Dioko are on the thinner side. This makes male voice sounds more fully bodied on the Hook-X.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #11 of 60
I have the 7Hz Timeless, Dioko and Hook-X. From all three, the Hook-X is the clear winner in term of sound quality, second place will be the Timeless and the last place is Dioko.
The Hook-X soundstage is a little bit like UM Mest MKII where it just envelope you. The Timeless and Dioko sounds closed in compare to the Hook-X.
The Timeless win in detail retrieval, but the Hook-X is no slouch either. It might be due to our ears perceived there is more detail because the Hook-X has a warmer tone on the mid while the Timeless and Dioko are on the thinner side. This makes male voice sounds more fully bodied on the Hook-X.
Wow, this Hook-X getting some good reviews. Would try to get my hands on a unit. Timeless I personally find a little on the bassier side. Dioko I agree is not as good as the other options but it provides a good planar experience at a budget price.

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 60
Very nice comparison. Do you think it makes sense to use graphs to look for a planar that suits my tastes the best based on non-planar experience with IEMs? I mean, according to some people planars are different enough from other types of drivers that it makes it a little bit of "apples to oranges situation". In other words, (according to them) a very similar frequency response in a single dynamic driver set can sound very different than in case of a planar one, in particular regarding sibilance and treble harshness.

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #13 of 60
Very nice comparison. Do you think it makes sense to use graphs to look for a planar that suits my tastes the best based on non-planar experience with IEMs? I mean, according to some people planars are different enough from other types of drivers that it makes it a little bit of "apples to oranges situation". In other words, (according to them) a very similar frequency response in a single dynamic driver set can sound very different than in case of a planar one, in particular regarding sibilance and treble harshness.
Honestly, I don't look at graphs, I believe in what I hear. But I get your point. Back in the day Planars were associated with terms like sibilance or brittle treble(used to have a Sundara, and have heard several different planar-based HPs). Even when I got the Sundara a few friends said it has a bright or fatiguing treble. I find it bright but not fatiguing or harsh at all. In recent times, reality has taken a different turn. Both in HPs and IEMs planars are coming out to be excellent. I have personally owned/tried several different hps and iems(Hifiman Sundara 2021, Ananda, Arya Stealth, Susvara, HE1000SE V2, 7Hz Timeless, Shuoer S12, Tin HiFI P1 Plus/Max, etc). I would suggest you try out the LETSHUOER S12/Z12, Tin HiFi P1 Max if you have around 200$ in your budget. If you are restrained at 100$, Dioko gives a good taste. Although it sounds typical with slight lean notes and definition but overall packs a good experience for the price.

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #14 of 60
I have both the Timeless and Dioko and they need longer tips due to their design. I happened to have a set of AZLA SednaEarFitLights (10mm length from top of tip to bottom of stem) and they seal properly, though are not very comfortable. The AZLA Crystals (I think 8.8mm length) don't seal that well. Shocking that 1.2mm length can make that big of a difference.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #15 of 60
I have both the Timeless and Dioko and they need longer tips due to their design. I happened to have a set of AZLA SednaEarFitLights (10mm length from top of tip to bottom of stem) and they seal properly, though are not very comfortable. The AZLA Crystals (I think 8.8mm length) don't seal that well. Shocking that 1.2mm length can make that big of a difference.
I have recently got Softear Light too. But I got them for my IE600. Main problem with Dioko for me is the strange length of the shells hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back