Places to listen to/buy headphones in Manhattan
Sep 27, 2002 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Malacola

New Head-Fier
hey guys...

gonna be in Manhattan in the next couple of days, and I've wanted to listen to a couple of pairs of headphones before I make the decsicion which to buy...

Anyone have any reccommendations of good hi-fi stores in the Manhattan area that'll let me try out some Grado's and Senn's?

thanks...

The Turtle Moves

Sep 27, 2002 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 8
Sep 27, 2002 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 8
and there's always harvey's. J&R has senns at the wall of headphones, but it's always messed up. sometimes if you find a salesperson nice enough, they'll let you plug it into your portable.

Sep 27, 2002 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 8
B&H's website shows they have Beyer 770's and 990's "In Stock", for only ~$145, but the spec sheet says they are the older 600ohm versions. Dang!

Sep 27, 2002 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 8
Stereo Connection on Broadway has some Grados and I think I saw some Beyers, but I don't recall Sennheiser. We really need to get a NY meet happening.

(WARNING: DO not go into B&H with an empty credit card. I like that store :) )

Sep 28, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 8
I wouldn't bother with J&R, as their soundboard is usually messed up and not a good place to audition Senns. When I was in Harvey's (on 45th) a couple of months ago, they had several Senns available to listen to, but the only Grados they had were the 125s even though they carry the whole Grado line.

Sep 28, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Not only that, but the "headphone guy" at that Harvey is a total ass and the setup is downright awful (mp3 of some instrumental track -- and you can't even adjust the volume).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back