place your vote: who are the coolest head-fiers?
Aug 14, 2002 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

isotope240

Head-Fier
i know i am a tool for posting this, but i am trying to kill time while i wait for my order from meier audio. please don't flame me... well, if you do, at least try to be funny.

i guess this could be a question more geared toward newbies like myself, but i thought it would be entertaining.

try not to vote for yourself...

i'll go ahead and start things off by nominating kelly and nick dangerous (in alphabetical order)

Aug 14, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 106
You starting to squirm already ?
biggrin.gif
(It's much too early for that...) You need a major diversion. Especially from here... every post you read only triggers your anxiety regarding your purchase... (How's that for turning the screw ?)
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't know what to tell ya, waiting's a bitch...

And just to shoot the breeze, I think I'd vote for Nick Dangerous. I haven't been around long at all but from posts I've read he's been involved in some cool stuff with other Head-Fi'ers and has contributed greatly to tweaking the sound out of already nice tube based gear.

Hang in there, it'll come !
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 106
hmm... in no particular order (honestly!):

*** JUDE!!! *** [no explanation necessary]

Tyll and the HeadRoom Band (
wink.gif
) [ditto]

MacDEF [just a cool guy, with a cool avatar, plus he did the Outlaw buy thing]

Nick Dangerous [the god of MG Head tuberolling, who introduced me to the Sylvie and Tung Sol...]

Tuberoller [the god of tuberolling in general, and very knowledgeable about damn near everything else audio]

JMT [one of the nicest guys, heck, THE nicest guy I've ever met; not to mention a fellow DIYFSEer]

Tangent [fellow META42 designer and DIYFSEer]

Morsel [fellow META42 designer and generally cool person]

ppl [god of ultra-fi DIY amps]

Kevin Gilmore [another god of ultra-fi DIY]

Jan Meier [source of budget HD600s]

Apheared (or at least when he was still on HeadFi/wize) [god of amp building and caffiene (sp?), WE MISS YOU MAN!]

Most of the mods not mentioned above...

Audio&Me [just cool]

and a bunch more that I can't remember their names at the moment...

*** NOT *** a certain Spanish anti-cable troll [you pretty much screwed up the cables forum for a while there, and contributed nothing worthwhile]

I hope I didn't miss anything!

Aug 14, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 106
ok i want to stop this for a second to ask that you all please post ONLY POSITIVE RESPONSES.
i was stupid not to think about the potential problems that could be raised by my initial post... hopefully a lot of those problems can be avoided if we DO NOT FLAME ONE ANOTHER.

please try to respect this request... i do not want this thread to get ugly; it was supposed to be fun. thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif
actually, i dont have my headphones yet so i really can't use that smiley... how about this one
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 106
Audio&Me used to crack me up, crazy kid.

Some other head-fiers that are aight:

carlo--coolest cat out there
kelly--paranoid texan, what else can you ask for?
JMT--simply one of the nicest people on here!
zanth--another great irc chat buddy

There's a bunch of other's that i can't remember at the moment.

Aug 14, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 106
How about Kwkarth? I find his knowledge very, helpful. I think he's had every headphone amp. the Yoda of Head-fi?

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 106
My vote goes for everyone who logs in and participates.
I wouldn't be listening to my Grados without this forum. I would still be in sony MDR land.
much mahalos and aloha to all!
md

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 106
Hmm, gotta have Nick Dangerous up there. . . if I ever get a tube amp. . .

Neruda and Vertigo. OfCOURSE, jude. JMT, Tangent, carlo, gloco, MacDef, and DAMN. Kelly's just a loveable raccoon.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish that maybe one day, I can be half as good as you guys are.

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
My vote goes for everyone who logs in and participates.
I wouldn't be listening to my Grados without this forum. I would still be in sony MDR land.
much mahalos and aloha to all!
md

Hey, Sony MDR land is a nice place to be!
*hugs V6's*

My vote goes for the always thorough and informative MacDEF.

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 106
ok i feel like a jerk for not mentioning jude because his generous contributions are really what have made all of this possible...

oh and i'd also like to throw in Tim D.
i recently emailed him regarding what i now realize was probably a very annoying topic and he took the time to respond to me privately (twice) with his very helpful insight on the matter. it's nice to know that for head-fiers like Tim D, this isn't all about putting on a show for the message board readers. (and i'm sure the same goes for many more of you guys)

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #13 of 106
Audio&Me-he is my hero and should be yours too.what he is doing right now is far more important than anything he has ever done or said at head-fi.

Jude-it's his world.

JMT- just the nicest,coolest guy on head-fi

Macdef- takes as well as he dishes and another cool guy

Acidtripwow-is always fun to hang out with

Reynman-cool guy from the Chi

Tyll-what would headphone audio be without him?

Coolvij-I still can't believe anyone with his knowledge of jazz could be only 15.

ChenaynayC-I'm smitten after meeting her.

RickG-any Vet is cool with me

Crescendopower-Vet as well

fyrfytrhodges-We do the same job,what's not to like.

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 106
Kevin Gilmore!!!

Anyone that would use a stax omega in a portable system has my vote.

I'd be tempted to put down jude, but as far as I know, he doesn't use vinyl
evil_smiley.gif
(J/K Jude makes the list)

Tuberoller also has some great info, and answers my questions, so he is cool

Jan and lini are cool, just because they live in germany

Nick is cool, because he actually built that oris system

Kkwarth and Neruda are both very cool, just because they are fellow AKG aficinados

Darkangel and Dusty Chalk are both cool, just because they are the only ones here that have even heard of most of the music I like

Joe Bloggs is cool, just because he is the only one here who is as cheap as I am.

RickG, just because he puts his headphones on an Elvis Head
I'll think of more later

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 106
(smacks himself in the forehead)

Tuberoller (aka Fred)

Tubester went out of his way a few months back to send me an old pair of his Stax to try out and see if i would like them since there was a set on ebay. Of course, i bought the set from ebay!

It takes a lot to trust someone you've never met to send out a pair of cans to test out, you're definitely an asset to this establishment
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back