Place to Listen to High-End Headphones in NYC?
Nov 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

JulesK

Head-Fier
The searches I've run in the Forums identify J&R and B&H as places to see a lot of the higher-end headphone on display.  I'm interested in finding a place in NYC (Manhattan, ideally) that will allow me to listen to different models under proper conditions (i.e., a proper headphone amp).  Any recommendations, or is J&R and B&H still the places to try?  And, yes, I'll buy from a place that provides this customer service.  Many thanks.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 14
I'd recommend the place from where I purchased my Focal Spirit Ones recently.  Lyric Hi Fi, 1221 Lexington Avenue, NY 10028 T. (212) 439-1900.

They had many nicies to listen to.  But I was only looking for a closed headphone at the time and the Focal was the only choice I listened to.  They had a hi quality source driven thru an Antique Sound Lab head amp (the one that lists for around $500 ; thinking of picking that up ... but I digress).

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 14
There's also AudioCubes aka "AC Gears".

But the best "place" to listen to headphones is at a meet, not a store. The next NYC-area meet is planned for 4/20 next year: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634922/official-ny-regional-spring-meet-april-20-2013

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 14
But they've gotten much more ''budget' lately.  I bought my ATH-ESW9 headphones there in the past.  They would not carry it today due to its cost (I'm not making that up; the sales people are the ones that told me that).

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
They upgraded their display, and are now driven with a tascam multi track, and the headphones can be unplugged to listen directly from your own source. (PS, if you ask nicely, they will even let you try on the really high end stuff not on diplay such as ED10, ED8, Sigpro etc)

Are you talking about AudioCubes or B&H?

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 14
If sounds like AC Gears from the description to me.

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Surprising.  They won't bring lenses up from stock that they don't have out to try-out on my Pentax anymore; so I go to Adorama and buy from them now.  So surprised they'll take the hi-end phones out.

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 14

Surprising.  They won't bring lenses up from stock that they don't have out to try-out on my Pentax anymore; so I go to Adorama and buy from them now.  So surprised they'll take the hi-end phones out.

They didn't let that happen for me. Had to cough up the money (and return it) to listen.

On a related note, audeze's website lists woo audio as a dealer in elmhurst, queens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back