Pizza, 90 minute ETA!!!
Jun 19, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #16 of 53
My father has never tipped before in his life, and he certainly never tips the delivery man. It might just be part of the money-pinching, Asian parent mindset, but he finds it absurd to just hand out money like that when they're already getting paid by the restaurant. I try to tell him that its courteous and kind to do so, but he always just says that only rich people do that sort of thing. So, every time we order pizza I fear I may be eating some saliva and/or boogers with every bite
frown.gif

Didn't Pizza Hut have an actual pizza ordering shop or something in EverQuest?

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
might just be part of the money-pinching, Asian parent mindset

yup
wink.gif

but i dislike tipping as well, i cite steve bushemi as my reference

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #18 of 53
Tipping is a stupid custom, I agree completely. However, I'm not brave enough to buck the system, nor can I convince myself that it's ethical to take advantage of a system I know I'm supposed to pay into, when the one getting screwed isn't some big corporation, but the poor delivery guy. Seen the price of gas nowadays?

I'll be completely honest. Here is my advice for the stiff:

You can get away with it once or twice...we can't read your mind.

It does NOT help to order from different restaurants--everyone that works here worked somewhere else before, drivers shop-hop a lot.

You are safe at hotels if you can spare the karma.

Tipping low (even a buck) will spare you from the more substantial food-modification category retaliation.

Tipping inconistently is the same as not tipping, or, once a stiff always a stiff, so you might as well save the money rather than tip sometimes...and pay attention to who recieves pizza at your address.

If you are nice on the phone, we assume you will tip, so the shrewd stiff is polite.

If you ever move, tip hugely the first order you make, and make sure they know that you just moved there...you might have moved to a stiff's house.

Being a stiff will net you retaliation on some level, on a case by case basis. All of these things have happened to stiffing customers of my (large chain) store, though not necessarily by me:

Putting your pizza on the bottom of the stack, regardless of your geographical location. (ubiquitous)

Failure to be notified of and given specials you are eligible for--saving lots of money now, aren't we?(common)

Skimped toppings. I ALWAYS know where a pizza is going, before I top it.(the rule)

Shaken pop(old standby)

Tipped over flowers(personal favorite)

Accidentally ran over bicycles/scooters/pets(even my manager's done it)

BBs under your car's valve caps to give you flat tires--a carton of 5000 BBs goes a long way. Also nails.(rare)

Tipping a penny may result in the penny being dragged down the side of your nice new Corvette convertible, and left on your dash.(very rare)

Poisoned pets.(very rare, generally reserved for people that think it's amusing to terrorize the pizza guy with their attack dog. Terrorizing me with your attack dog will likely result in me shooting it.)

Pizza transported on the roof of the car to be cold despite being only 5 minutes out of the oven so that the manager doesn't believe you when you call and say your pizza was cold.(best in winter)

Juice from toppings you insisted NOT be on your pizza, on your pizza, so that the manager doesn't believe you when you insist your pizza tastes like banana peppers even though there are no bananna peppers on it--hope you aren't allergic(very effective stiff-stopper)

N-1 breadsticks/wings/etc in an order of N of same.(best when hungry)

Bodily fluids on your pizza (quite popular, but ineffective-reserved for special cases of hatred. Undesirable because generally the customer doesn't find out about it, and thus doesn't get pissed off and stop ordering, which is what's best for everybody)

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #19 of 53
Pizza delivery needs to stop charging a delivery fee if they expect their driver to get a tip. Unless the driver does something above and beyond just bringing my pizza to my door. Why is it that pizza delivery feel entitled to extra payment. Sounds like extortion to me.

LOL, thanks guys, I won't be ordering pizza again for quite some time.

-Ed

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pizza delivery needs to stop charging a delivery fee if they expect their driver to get a tip. Unless the driver does something above and beyond just bringing my pizza to my door. Why is it that pizza delivery feel entitled to extra payment. Sounds like extortion to me.

The problem is that the "delivery fee" is usually pocketed by the establishment. The majority of pizza drivers aren't paid at all beyond tips. Drivers who have company cars or a sign on top of their vehicles seem to be the exception for legal reasons. They get some small hourly wage. There have been previous threads about this.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Pizza delivery needs to stop charging a delivery fee if they expect their driver to get a tip.

I detest delivery fees. Our store has a 1.50 delivery fee of which I get .70. Delivery fees are an evil way to take money out of their drivers' pockets by confusing customers.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #22 of 53
Yikes. I tip the two or three times a year I order, but that list of retaliation spooks me.

How about just buying a pizza stone and a few minutes to make the dough? A whole lot cheaper and you know exactly when it'll be there.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #23 of 53
I've been working at a large pizza chain (starts with a D) as a driver for awhile now, and while I would never even think of doing any of the above listed things, you really should tip your driver. $1-2 minimum. Yes, there is a delivery charge, but it's nothing (a dollar I think). Yes, we get paid an hourly rate, but $6/hour is chicken feed, especially with today's gas prices. And it's not like we only deliver pizzas. We do everything. When not driving, we clean the store, make pizzas, fold boxes, regular crap stuff.

We put up with so much crap, mostly from customers. A new guy at my store hadn't worked there for 2 weeks, and he got a gun pulled on him. When I started I heard so many stories of drivers getting robbed, harassed, guns pulled on them, etc. And this is all on top of regular crap we put up with on a daily basis. People are always scamming us for free pizzas.

What people don't realize is that the pizza costs basically the same whether you get it delivered or pick it up yourself. Don't think of it as a tip, but as a voluntary deliver charge that should be included in the cost of the pizza. You're paying for the convenience. When you order pizza, think to yourself, how much would I pay somebody to deliver this pizza to me, rather than pick it up myself. How much is that service worth to me? We use our gas, use our cars (I just spent $1,200 on new shocks), and we deliver in almost any weather, all while you are sitting comfortably at home. A few weeks ago, there was 2-3 feet of water in the streets around the store, and we were swamped with calls. To summarize: Stop being such a cheap person, and tip your driver. Ok rant off.

As for the online thing, our store has a bell that rings when orders come in, and they immediately get made when they come through. Our store is actually pretty good when it comes to customer service. My advice is to order carry-out from your local place at least once so you can check it out for yourself.

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #24 of 53
im glad i pick up my pizza or eat it there. I love mountain mikes pizza buffet at lunch or a $5 little ceasar or 5-5-5 deal. Forget paying extra for a 5 min drive. At a restaurant i tip 15%+ but i ask a lot like 3-4 drink refills, extra this or that, extra ranch/sauce whatever. I've been known to tip less than 5% like a dollar on a $20 bill too, especially if i have to wait 15 min for my salad/appetizers, then have my entree come 30 sec later.

Jun 19, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #25 of 53
I have better luck ordering online w/ PapaJohns near my house (less than 30 mins). Mostly I pick it up myself but when I do order for delivery, I tip at least $4, my brother and I have been a delivery driver.

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #26 of 53
I will tip a place well if I receive my food fast and it is good. As time goes by I see myself getting my food faster since they know my address and they know I tip well.

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #27 of 53
I rarely order pizza (it's A LOT faster to drive to the other side of the city to pick it up). The food almost always arrives near cold, though I always tip like $2 anyways.

Quote:

Why is it that pizza delivery feel entitled to extra payment.

I kinda agree. You chose the job to deliver pizza, no one forced you. If you're not getting paid enough, find other work. Places like McDs are always hiring, and retail outlets like walmart pay decent money. I used to be a waiter, and I never spit in anyone's food or treated them worse because they didn't tip. It was my job to serve them. If you're willing to act immature and criminal cause some guy doesn't give you a fiver, then you need to grow up.

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #28 of 53
ETA 90 minutes is insane.
In my area they guarantee delivery within 45 minutes, or you get 50% off.

No Pizza Hut though...

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #29 of 53
Pizza delivery drivers take the job expecting tips in addition to salary, it's part of their wage. Is tipping an extra three of four dollars twice a month for pizza delivery so bad? I'd rather feel a bit philanthropic than pocket an extra fiver and feel oh-so thrifty, any day.

I just ordered a pizza from Dominos yesterday, and tipped the driver $4.75. They're always very grateful. I see no reason not to.

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pizza delivery drivers take the job expecting tips in addition to salary, it's part of their wage. Is tipping an extra three of four dollars twice a month for pizza delivery so bad? I'd rather feel a bit philanthropic than pocket an extra fiver and feel oh-so thrifty, any day.

I just ordered a pizza from Dominos yesterday, and tipped the driver $4.75. They're always very grateful. I see no reason not to.

$3 or $4 is a LOT considering you're just buying a pizza. That's like a ~25% tip O_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back