Pitchfork puts up review of Beatles remasters, including a large section on SQ and wave editor snapshots.
Sep 8, 2009 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
The title says it all. here is the link. The review is pretty informative and even discusses the loudness war a bit.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 18
I don't know, they look pretty "loud" to me compared to the 87 releases.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, they look pretty "loud" to me compared to the 87 releases.

As the review said, they're louder, but the dynamic range seems to be intact, or else you'd see brickwalling or clipping.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 18
I can see a future where actually listening to the stuff won't be necessary. We can just use a screen capture of the waveforms from Audacity or Adobe Audition and we will know everything we need.
wink.gif

I pre-ordered both sets and they should be here tomorrow. While I find the internet scuttlebutt a bit interesting, I'll reserve judgment for when I have actually given these remasters a very good and fair listen -- which is exactly as it should be.

--Jerome

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 18
Listening is overrated. I prefer to use a combination of computer programs to simulate the interaction between my equipment to create beautiful graphs of exactly what I would hear, were I to listen. As another plus, the graphs take up far less room than vinyl, cd, or even lossless files.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 18
Facing a graph editor 8 hours a day at work is more than enough for me. I am looking forward to use my ears when the box sets arrive.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see a future where actually listening to the stuff won't be necessary. We can just use a screen capture of the waveforms from Audacity or Adobe Audition and we will know everything we need.
wink.gif

That's how I "listen" now. Here's my favorite version of "Abbey Road":

original

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 18
Looks good to me.. I don't see any brickwalling, which is the major flaw with remasters these days. I'll know for sure in a couple of days. I'm actually hearing more and more positive stuff about these CD's every day.. I'm looking forward to getting them
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 18
Here's the complete coverage of the Beatles Remastered set by Pitchfork, including the new reviews they put out for the individual albums included in the box set.

Review of the Stereo and Mono boxes

Please Please Me - 9.5

With The Beatles - 8.8

A Hard Day's Night - 9.7

Beatles For Sale - 9.3

Help! - 9.2

Rubber Soul - 10.0

Revolver - 10.0

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - 10.0

Magical Mystery Tour - 10.0

The Beatles Rock Band - 9.5

The Beatles - 10.0

Yellow Submarine - 6.2

Abbey Road - 10.0

Let It Be - 9.1

Past Masters - 9.2

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 18
fyi: The Beatles - 10.0 = The White Album

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 18
I agree with the ratings from Rubber Soul Onwards.

However, id also give a 10 to Hard Days Night. Their best pre-Rubber Soul album IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back