Pitbulls invade old woman's home, chew her face off
Aug 23, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #76 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone found with a pitbull and no lisence should be fined (for each dog), and a second offence means their dog gets neutered. A third offence, they lose the dog.

I don't think we should wait at second offence to get this kind of dog neutered. Unless you are a profesional breeder, you have to get this dog neutered period. This will take care of unwanted puppies, irresponsible breeding & backyard breeders.

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #77 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think we should wait at second offence to get this kind of dog neutered. Unless you are a profesional breeder, you have to get this dog neutered period. This will take care of unwanted puppies, irresponsible breeding & backyard breeders.

OK, start with manditory neutering, the penalty for not complying being $1000 per testicle.

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #78 of 131
Quote:

I still contend there is no good reason you can tell me for owning a pitbull, besides fighting them. And I am against animal cruelty.

There isn't. No one has provided one yet and no one will.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #81 of 131
Quote:

I'll simplify that for you. Pitbull owner = moron owner. Unless the dog is a rescued animal, here is no reason to own a pitbull other than to fight it. If you really want a dog, there are hundreds of breed to choose from that are not pitbulls.

Thats because the majority who have pits buy them for the wrong reason & are iresponsable. It more of a status thing, & thinking you are bad cause you own a pit. All Dogs can kill, bite, & maim but it doesn't become a story unless it's a pit pull. This leads to knee jerk reactions like the misguided poster who thinks we should just kill them all cause a lot of their owners train them to be vicious. My mother had a pit bull mix, but she really looked more pit.. Again.. She bit no one in her 8 yrs on this earth.. She was vicious when needed to be, like protecting her territory, like all dogs do.. We have photos of her sleeping with my moms cat.. She was afraid of my mothers bird.. & was great with kids.. She was NEVER aggressive around children.. She was also female.. Maybe motherly instints. I'm pro pitbull, but I still fear them to a certain extent cause they are very intimidating.. But I just love them.. I love their look etc.. I love all dogs in general.. But German Shepards.. Dobermins, & pits the most.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #82 of 131
Quote:

Let me put it this way. Your neighbor likes cats. Would you have a problem with your neighbor keeping a full grown tiger in their backyard?

See? Pitbulls are dangerous. Add your average idiot to the mix and the problems start. Now give that same idiot say a jack russell terrier, and the problems associated with pitbulls never starts.

I still contend there is no good reason you can tell me for owning a pitbull, besides fighting them. And I am against animal cruelty.

Comparing a pitbull to a tiger?? Face it.. All animals are unpredictable & dangerous. The only reason Pits are more feared is due to how they are trained by their idiot owner.. So you can't become attached to a baby pit cause you think it's adorable, it must be because you want to breed it & train it to fight other dogs? A Pitbull is still a dog.. Has the same wants & needs as a dog, & will give his 'master' loyalty, protection, great companionship & love like other dogs.. Don't knock a entire breed due to some idiot owners..

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #83 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats because the majority who have pits buy them for the wrong reason & are iresponsable. It more of a status thing, & thinking you are bad cause you own a pit. All Dogs can kill, bite, & maim but it doesn't become a story unless it's a pit pull. This leads to knee jerk reactions like the misguided poster who thinks we should just kill them all cause a lot of their owners train them to be vicious. My mother had a pit bull mix, but she really looked more pit.. Again.. She bit no one in her 8 yrs on this earth.. She was vicious when needed to be, like protecting her territory, like all dogs do.. We have photos of her sleeping with my moms cat.. She was afraid of my mothers bird.. & was great with kids.. She was NEVER aggressive around children.. She was also female.. Maybe motherly instints. I'm pro pitbull, but I still fear them to a certain extent cause they are very intimidating.. But I just love them.. I love their look etc.. I love all dogs in general.. But German Shepards.. Dobermins, & pits the most.

You are basing your opinion on one case--your mom's dog.

[size=large]"'When you have a mauling where a 12-year-old child is killed and when 50 to 60 percent of our hearings for vicious and dangerous animals are for pit bulls, you don't have to be a brain surgeon to see we have a problem with pit bulls,' Friedman said."[/size]
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGRODDH561.DTL

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comparing a pitbull to a tiger?? Face it.. All animals are unpredictable & dangerous. The only reason Pits are more feared is due to how they are trained by their idiot owner.. So you can't become attached to a baby pit cause you think it's adorable, it must be because you want to breed it & train it to fight other dogs? A Pitbull is still a dog.. Has the same wants & needs as a dog, & will give his 'master' loyalty, protection, great companionship & love like other dogs.. Don't knock a entire breed due to some idiot owners..

My analogy was that it is disingenuous to compare a pitbull with your average dog. The post I was responding to claimed we might as well ban cats. My POINT was (which you missed) that there are degrees of danger involve. Tigers are related to housecats. But housecats will not rip you apart. Beagles are related to pitbulls, but beagles will not tear you apart.

And no, pitbulls have been bred to be aggressive. That is why they kill the loser in pitbull fights, to preserve the DNA of the most aggressive dog and pass it on. In this thread alone there are stories of otherwise docile pitbulls just attacking and seriously injuring people.

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #84 of 131
Quote:

OK, start with manditory neutering, the penalty for not complying being $1000 per testicle.

The owner or the dog?
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #85 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The owner or the dog?
wink.gif

The dog. Stupidity will take care of its own.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #86 of 131
Pit bulls have been bred for their "aggressiveness" towards dogs, not humans. In fact, breeders that fight their dogs usually kill the ones that are aggressive towards humans. This has created an extremely loyal and loving dog, but one that is prone to problems.

When selectively bred for "aggressiveness", what you actually end up with is a dog with a LOT of instinctual drive. Pit bulls are not "mean"; dogs cannot think that way. They're not doing what they do to be "mean." They're doing what they do because that's what instinct and handling tells them to do.

So you've got this dog with an unending supply of drive and focus, and they are expected to live like a normal house pet. Unfortunately, this is a road to failure and ultimately violence. When a dog cannot appropriately release his drive, it's going to spill out in other areas. In the pit bull's case, it might come out as prey drive directed towards humans.

Dogs that have this level of drive need lots and lots of exercise, and they need a JOB above all else. They do NOT need a "firm hand", harsh training, or any of that nonsense. All they require is a proper outlet for their prey drive, and enough mental challenge to keep them occupied. This might mean four hours of exercise and play a day, but that is the responsibility of owning that type of dog.

Canines are a serious interest of mine, and banning an entire breed is the most laughable thing I've ever heard of. It is the epitome of completely misunderstanding the issue, the problem, and a really bad attempt at solving it. More people die from lightning every year than dog attacks.

Now I'm not trying to downplay the tragedy of dog attacks, but it truly is a case of misinformation and bad ownership. While I don't agree with many of his methods, Cesar Millan does a wonderful service to the pit bull breed. He has many pit bulls that were used for fighting living together peacefully. The simple fact is that they are getting the exercise and mental stimulation they need. They are not "mean" dogs, and have no desire to fight any longer simply because their drive is being fulfilled!

The bottom line is animal cruelty charges need to step up. People need to go to jail for a LONG time for abusing animals. As always, it's the human's fault, and the dog is caught in the middle of it.

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #87 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pit bulls have been bred for their "aggressiveness" towards dogs, not humans. In fact, breeders that fight their dogs usually kill the ones that are aggressive towards humans. This has created an extremely loyal and loving dog, but one that is prone to problems.

When selectively bred for "aggressiveness", what you actually end up with is a dog with a LOT of instinctual drive. Pit bulls are not "mean"; dogs cannot think that way. They're not doing what they do to be "mean." They're doing what they do because that's what instinct and handling tells them to do.

So you've got this dog with an unending supply of drive and focus, and they are expected to live like a normal house pet. Unfortunately, this is a road to failure and ultimately violence. When a dog cannot appropriately release his drive, it's going to spill out in other areas. In the pit bull's case, it might come out as prey drive directed towards humans.

Dogs that have this level of drive need lots and lots of exercise, and they need a JOB above all else. They do NOT need a "firm hand", harsh training, or any of that nonsense. All they require is a proper outlet for their prey drive, and enough mental challenge to keep them occupied. This might mean four hours of exercise and play a day, but that is the responsibility of owning that type of dog.

Canines are a serious interest of mine, and banning an entire breed is the most laughable thing I've ever heard of. It is the epitome of completely misunderstanding the issue, the problem, and a really bad attempt at solving it. More people die from lightning every year than dog attacks.

Now I'm not trying to downplay the tragedy of dog attacks, but it truly is a case of misinformation and bad ownership. While I don't agree with many of his methods, Cesar Millan does a wonderful service to the pit bull breed. He has many pit bulls that were used for fighting living together peacefully. The simple fact is that they are getting the exercise and mental stimulation they need. They are not "mean" dogs, and have no desire to fight any longer simply because their drive is being fulfilled!

The bottom line is animal cruelty charges need to step up. People need to go to jail for a LONG time for abusing animals. As always, it's the human's fault, and the dog is caught in the middle of it.

I am not sure who you are addressing, but I never called pitbulls "mean". In fact I stated they are victims of breeding gone wrong. I think of dogs and all animals as children, who do not understand the complexities of human culture, and need protection and help when animals interact with the cruelest species on the planet: us.

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #88 of 131
I don't understand why people don't get a German Shepherd instead of a pitbull. They are superior in almost every way I can think of. Absolutely stunning animals.

We're on our second shepherd right now. We took her in as a puppy from a farm family that left her outside to fend for herself. Took her through extensive obedience training, and now she is quite literally the perfect dog for our family.

I think most people don't realize that you have to raise a dog. You can't just buy them and expect them to be good. It pays off so much though; for example, when I practiced baseball religiously, she would retrieve every ball I hit hundreds of feet for hours at a time and bring them right back to my feet. She has also stopped a physical advance on my mother by a UPS man (stopped it cold, might I add). It's amazing to watch the level of instinct and intelligence that she has - she plays markedly different with my little sister than with me or my father. Simply an incredible animal.

What can pit bulls possibly have over shepherds? I'd like to see one with the discipline to do this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uRaCv4Njcnk

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #89 of 131
Pitbulls are bred to fight other dogs, not humans. Aphex nailed it on the head, afaik. Pitbulls that show inclination to attack humans are put down by serious breeders.

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #90 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pitbulls that show inclination to attack humans are put down by serious breeders.

Yeah, after they've brutally murdered someone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back