Pitbulls invade old woman's home, chew her face off
Aug 23, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #61 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't take it personally, just a small shot for a small shot, no worries.

My family picked a pit because they like pit bulls. Between myself, two brothers and father, I don't think there has been more than 1-2 schoolyard fights between us (never threw a punch at anyone myself). There is no macho, chest-thumping going on here. We get along perfectly with our neighbors. There are no enemies in particular, but there are gangs. It isn't a good idea to walk around my neighborhood after dark. The corner a block over is a known drug spot. If the dog at all intimidates these vermin, all the better, but he is, was, and will always be our family member first, not some bodyguard. In fact, if it ever came to it, I think we would all defend him from harm.

If you see macho in that, there isn't any convincing you otherwise.

I suppose not. Actually it makes sense. Sorry to lump you in with those guys.

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #62 of 131
This is exactly the scenario as to why pitbulls have been banned where I live.

Simon

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #63 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly the scenario as to why pitbulls have been banned where I live.

Simon

When the ban went into effect, what happened to the pits/owners in the area at the time? I had a ferret at the time they placed a ban on them in NYC (same time they banned gorillas
biggrin.gif
). We were supposed to give them up or move I suppose. Curious as to what happened in your case.

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #64 of 131
If I remember correctly, and I maybe wrong here, owners had to have the dogs neutered and all further breeding was banned. This is my vague recollection of what happened.

Simon

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #65 of 131
I actually did a bit of research and my previous post is correct, desexing was made compulsory. This will basically mean the breed will cease to exist in Australia.

The following breeds are all restricted breeds I believe. I think this means the same rules apply.

AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
PIT BULL TERRIER
JAPANESE TOSA
DOGO ARGENTINO
FILA BRASILEIRO
PERRO DE PRESA CANARIO

Simon

n.b. This is the limit of my research. Any errors are my doing!

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #66 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I remember correctly, and I maybe wrong here, owners had to have the dogs neutered and all further breeding was banned. This is my vague recollection of what happened.

Simon

Ok, that seems pretty reasonable. I remember back when they banned the ferrets the "Friends Of Ferrets" organization had a small demonstration. I doubt anyone actually complied with the law anyway.

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #67 of 131
Mmm this is just disgraceful.

I remember seeing a thing in the paper which had a list of all the serious dog attacks since 2003, in New Zealand. All but one of them was a Pitbull-Terrier. The one that wasn't a Pitbull-Terrier was a Pitbull-Something else.

This breed should be exterminated somehow. They should be made illegal to have has pets and maybe kept in zoo's.

Sure, sometimes it's the owners fault, but in the most recent case in New Zealand the dog got out of the owners garden, ran down to a nearby river and chomped in a little girls head. The owner said that it was normally a friendly dog, and the neighbors said it was treated very well.

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #68 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pitbulls aren't normally a violent breed.

Pitbulls become violent though because their owner's buy them with the notion they are violent, and then raise them to be violent.

You can train any dog to be passive or aggressive.

Its completely true, look at dog attack statistics from the 1940-1955, The American Bull terrier (Pit Bull) was one of the most popular breeds and they were not known for being vicious (the statistics show it), it happened in the 1980's to present do to it being vogue to have aggressive fighting dogs. The problem is most of these Pits are coming from backyard breeders who want their dogs to be aggressive and are sold to thugs and low life's who want an aggressive mean dog so they appear tough, mean, aggressive etc. Any dog raised with an owner like that will be aggressive including a pug. A American Bull Terrier is not genetically more aggressive then any other game breed. Pit bulls also have one of the Highest passing rates of temperament/aggressiveness tests.

On a side note (my college job is as a dispatcher for a Police Department), 70% of dog at large/aggressive/attacking dog calls I receive that involve a large dog, the caller almost all ways says it is a Pit, and it hardly ever is.

No I do not own a Pit Bull or even want one, I just really can't stand that a dog gets blamed for being raised by Irresponsible owners and Pits get a bad rap because they are commonly owned by thugs such as Michael Vick. Yes some people should not be allowed to have dogs, just like some people should not be allowed to have kids. Any dog breed that is known for its Gameness should not be owned by these type of owners.

devildog1rm6.jpg

Though that dog is definitely evil, I bet he eats babies!!

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #69 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you see the video? Vick would eat that kid for breakfast, and still be hungry.

Hmm, I have misunderstood who Vick is I guess. I thought he was one of the owners. Didn't see the the video, first because I just didn't want to see that poor old lady covered in blood. I have a very vivid imagination myself and do not need the real footage to shock me. Second, I can't even get it to play since I don't have the required plug-in needed.
I don't know who would want a pitbull except for scaring people off. I don't like them. I have seen 2 nice pitbulls in my life though, they were mother and daughter and they were real lovely. But they just look ugly and evil to me.
I think the worst thing about a pitbull is that once they snap there's no stopping. They don't let go (easily). And they have so much power in their jaws...
But to say they should be extinct...I don't know...Maybe put them on an island with heavy criminals or something.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #70 of 131
Wow, this is one of the worst things I've read online in awhile, that's just terrible.
frown.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #71 of 131
Restricting "violent breed" dogs would be a good idea. That way if you don't have a license for the "violent breed" dog, the dog can be impounded on spot. Licenses would have to be issued via courses and constantly maintained. Something along those lines.

It would be a big tool for law enforcement to step in without their hands tied. Responsible owners should still have the ability to own whatever breed they like as well.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #72 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Restricting "violent breed" dogs would be a good idea. That way if you don't have a license for the "violent breed" dog, the dog can be impounded on spot. Licenses would have to be issued via courses and constantly maintained. Something along those lines.

Breeds aren't genetically fixed. That's the idiocy of BSL. Ban pit bulls and their close cousins? Fine. People will roll up their own dysgenic human aggressive breeds by corrupting other breeds, just like they did with the pit bull. Wouldn't really take too much work to create a line of GSDs every bit as bad as pit bulls. Ban those and there still dozens of other breeds that'd be fairly easy to work with.

Short of banning all dogs capable of harming humans, BSL ain't going to work.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #73 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Breeds aren't genetically fixed. That's the idiocy of BSL. Ban pit bulls and their close cousins? Fine. People will roll up their own dysgenic human aggressive breeds by corrupting other breeds, just like they did with the pit bull. Wouldn't really take too much work to create a line of GSDs every bit as bad as pit bulls. Ban those and there still dozens of other breeds that'd be fairly easy to work with.

Short of banning all dogs capable of harming humans, BSL ain't going to work.

Something needs to change so these aggressive breeds of dogs can be addressed when the owners are irresponsible. There needs to either be a massive change in mindset or law enforcement has to have new ways of dealing with the problem. It's broke as hell right now.

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #74 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something needs to change so these aggressive breeds of dogs can be addressed when the owners are irresponsible. There needs to either be a massive change in mindset or law enforcement has to have new ways of dealing with the problem. It's broke as hell right now.

To get a license for a pitbull type terrier, the potential owner should have to register the animal like they would a gun, go through a background check, pay a large fee for the lisence (to offset the damage caused by the breed), part of which would go to mandatory classes on dog training.

Anyone found with a pitbull and no lisence should be fined (for each dog), and a second offence means their dog gets neutered. A third offence, they lose the dog.

Sounds draconian, and it is not the animal's fault that humans bred them for aggression, but it is better IMHO than just banning the dogs.

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #75 of 131
My uncle had a PitBull that he obtained as a puppy from a good family/breeders. Despite giving it a loving home and caring for it very well, it turned on him one day as he was lying down on the floor reading a book! The Pit viciously attacked him UNPROVOKED and mauled his arms, shoulders, and face. After this attack which lasted several minutes, the Pit simply stopped attacking him and calmly sat down on it's 'doggy bed' as if nothing happened! Needless to say, after 7 years of having this dog, my uncle had to make the heartwrenching decision (his wife made him do it) to report the incident and have the dog put down. He now owns a Chocolate Lab!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back