Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jul 20, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #1,937 of 2,187
Jul 20, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,938 of 2,187
Jul 20, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #1,939 of 2,187
My SEM1 accompanied by Sony PFR-V1 and Questyle QP-R1.
headphones.jpg

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,940 of 2,187
Jul 21, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #1,941 of 2,187
The Pioneer SE-Master1's are simply brilliant directly out of the Chord Dave.

That is a great looking picture. I haven't seen any DAVE owners with the SEM1 before.

It's nice to see the SEM1s getting a bit more love in this thread lately. I hope to follow suit with new pictures of my pair soon enough.

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #1,942 of 2,187
That is a great looking picture. I haven't seen any DAVE owners with the SEM1 before.

It's nice to see the SEM1s getting a bit more love in this thread lately. I hope to follow suit with new pictures of my pair soon enough.
The SEM1 is a great all around headphone. The Dave really makes them sing, great pairing.

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #1,943 of 2,187
Listening to Cafe Blue UN-mastered version great test for any headphone. The Pioneers really shine with this album as the recording is awesome and really natural. No nasty compression here. “To Rich for my Blood” is a great drum test track. Vocals are rendered really well as PB is often dramatic with an amazing vocal range. I know this might sound like an audiophile cliche album - but really the music is really good too!
Is that one of those "unmasters" albums done back like 5-10 years ago? The guys that were focused on like proprietary un-brickwalling the albums to restore dynamic range? I've been hunting those down ever since. They're like rare bootlegs... I didn't know enough at the time to keep my hands on them.

Just a quick update guys, I’m listening to JRiver on Win 10 into RME ADI Pro FS2 (older generation). In balance mode. Wow these headphones have been missed. Just so well balanced for a dynamic driver. I replaced the headband, drivers & ear pads ( included with new drivers). Only my Utopias have more detail- not by much either. These phones are such a great all rounder. Decided to try a few old favourite. The drivers might be an small improvement on the initial drivers that came with the phones in 2015. Very happy I decided to have Pioneer do the maintenance In Japan.
How's the testing going now? I'm always wondering how the new drivers compare to the old ones~ good old Audiophile Nervosa

Jul 21, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #1,944 of 2,187
Hi Benny you may need to hunt down the SACD - here is a link to the title also try Amazon.
https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/...16&utm_medium=009_Patricia&utm_campaign=AS_NL

Regarding the drivers, I wouldn’t get too excited, the sound is very similar to the original. It’s always difficult to compare now with memory. What I can say is the agent here in Australia, asked me at the time I sent them off for repair, if I wanted to forget the repair (due to the cost) and buy a new pair of Pioneer SE-Monitor 5. I’m pleased I stuck with the original SE-1.

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #1,945 of 2,187
Nice, how do you like the pairing?

Thanks. The Questyle is a great companion with its crisp detail. SEM1 delivers as usual. The PFR-V1 works great with vocal recordings thanks to incredible three-dimensional rendering.

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #1,946 of 2,187
For the benefit of SE-M1 owners especially those located in Australia for the repair and new cable I used

Support Powermove
Support Department
Powermove Distribution Pty Ltd
28 The Gateway, Broadmeadows, 3047
t:03 9358 5999 |
support@powermove.com.au
www.powermove.com.a

The cost to replace 2 head drivers, driver enclosures, headband and new cable was not cheap. However Powermove in Australia had to send the headphones to Pioneer Japan. I assumed because they are hand made. Expect to pay around $1000 US.

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #1,947 of 2,187
I'm enjoying the SEM1's with the Hugo 2

IMG_1251.jpg

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #1,949 of 2,187
Aug 11, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #1,950 of 2,187
Yeah, some stock cables are really bad and really hamper the sound. The stock cable on the SE-Master1 isn’t that bad, but I‘m wondering if anyone is using an aftermarket cable. I normally pair my headphones with silver cables because I like details and clarity. Based on what I’m hearing, I’m think that a good cooper cable might be a better choice. Interested in knowing what cable everyone is using.
I'm using the Kimber copper with mine, though that's just what my pair came with (I got mine second-hand). I can't comment on sound differences, but it's pretty nice, pretty ergonomic, easy to manage, well-built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back