Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jan 29, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #1,111 of 2,187
...I'm loving the PRaT of the SEM1 which has awoken a 'beast' in me, been listening to heavy / death metal for the past 24hrs solid (literally!) - which is about as far away from singer / songwriter and acoustic than I can envisage going...

Although Mizuho Lin from Semblant definitely helped sway me :)

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #1,112 of 2,187
This is probably going to come across as VERY naive, but where exactly can one purchase a pair of these headphones? I'm not finding a link through a quick search aside from Japanese and Russian sites, it would seem. :p

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,115 of 2,187
Yes...............when will these be available in the US? 

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #1,116 of 2,187
You guys can't get these in the US yet?
I bought them a year ago from my local Pioneer dealer here in Europe and we usually can't get any of the good stuff here.

By the way, any of the folks enjoying the SEM-1 here that have also had the chance to compare them to the Utopia? What's your opinion?

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #1,118 of 2,187
I've had my pair for about six months, however - I swear that this weekend I actually listened to them more than I have for the whole of the rest of the time that I've had them - Had an immensely enjoyable 'metal' weekend - and the SEM1 lapped it up, far better than I thought they would...

Definitely put a smile on my face, and - that is what I'm after, enjoyment :)

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #1,119 of 2,187
I like metal (and older hardrock) as well and enjoy them for that but I have found them to be an enjoyable listen with any genre I tried them with so far including some nice vocals and classical music.
For me they are my top cans although my others (LA-900, HD650 and MDR-Z1R) have their place as well for my tastes and intended purposes. All very different cans though.
You should try these with a Zana if you can. Headphone heaven to my ears! :)

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #1,120 of 2,187
Waiting for my Zana Deux to be built. Unfortunately they have a backlog, so I have to wait to April/May. Really looking forward to compare the SEM to the Utopia using the ZDS.

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #1,121 of 2,187
I suppose I should stop being lazy, and look at what other amping options there are for the 2x3 pin XLR cable...

Happy enough with the U05 amp, but I am conscious that it is a Jack of all trades...

Whatever I end up with needs USB and optical, which is probably exactly why I am where I am lol

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #1,122 of 2,187
You will be better off terminating the cable into a 4-pin XLR. I guess there are a few good amps with 3-pin XLR outputs, but it will limit your choice.

I guess I will reterminate it too. Even when selling the SEM sometime in the future, I think ppl will pay more for the reterminate cable as for the stock one.

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #1,123 of 2,187
A question regarding the cable...does it also happen to you that the white layer of mesh below the top black layer breaks through at some parts of the cable? If I remember correctly it happened over time.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #1,125 of 2,187
A question regarding the cable...does it also happen to you that the white layer of mesh below the top black layer breaks through at some parts of the cable? If I remember correctly it happened over time.

Under the black sleeving, there is quite a thick, white isolation that appears to be cotton.

The cotton fibers should not break through the sleeving during normal usage and if it does, it probably means that the cable has been bent "too much" so be careful not to pull the cable if there's a loop on it.

If the "damage" is not too big, it should be possible to restore the cable by carefully "massaging" the part where the cotton has creeped out and gently pushing the cotton fibers back in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back