Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
May 15, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #31 of 2,188
Listened to these at the High-End show in Munich... my personal Best-Of-Show, without question. Very comfortable, really good sounding (this was not on the open show floor but in a more quiet demonstration booth upstairs), quite easy to drive. Very good build quality as well. My next major buy for sure.

May 15, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #32 of 2,188
  Listened to these at the High-End show in Munich... my personal Best-Of-Show, without question. Very comfortable, really good sounding (this was not on the open show floor but in a more quiet demonstration booth upstairs), quite easy to drive. Very good build quality as well. My next major buy for sure.

Ok, I suspect I speak for all of us when I say...more info please! 
biggrin.gif
  You've got quite a collection of headphones...care to offer any comparisons off the top of your head?  Also, what gear was being used to drive them at the show?  Thanks!

May 15, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #33 of 2,188
Yes I did. The link to the lowest priced dealer (yodobashi.com) was broken so I went with Fromjapan as they are great at refunding the money and they had a promotional discount going on at the time which brought the price down by $150+ over buying from Pricejapan.

I will wait for a few days now to get some more opinions on the HP but all so far have been positive. One comparison with the HD800 gave the advantage to the Pioneer and Audio.de gave it a 97 . More of a studio reference monitor headphone because of the tuning by AIr Studios. I believe the mids are to die for.

May 15, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #34 of 2,188

biggrin.gif
  You've got quite a collection of headphones...care to offer any comparisons off the top of your head?  Also, what gear was being used to drive them at the show?  Thanks!

I have to mention that while it was not the noisy show floor, it was still not a private listening session. That being said I was surprised that they seemed not to leak as much as the K812, isolation is of course not very high, with the M-1 being an open headphone. The pads are very comfortable, deep and soft. It felt like the Sony Z7 in that regard.

They had two models on show, one with the standard cable ending in a 6,3mm jack, the other sporting the optional balanced cable with 2x XLR, both connected to Pioneers own U-05. An iMac was used as the source, but I did not have a look at the software in use as I prefer to test with my own music. So I connected the standard one to my ifi iDSD Micro, fed from my iPhone. The iDSD in Normal setting (i.e. no Turbo) had no problems driving it to ear splitting levels without distortion.
Bass was deep reaching, with good resolution and very convincing drive, not overdoing it, but not a lean presentation for sure. I liked the mid presentation, female voices (yes, that does exist in EDM and electronics as well, but I had some other titles as well :wink: sounded authentic and with a stable spacial presentation. My biggest regret with the K812, its sometimes gritty treble, was no problem here.

Some random notes...
I did try it with my iPhone without an external helper as well, did work. Quite good actually, but volume maxed out. So quiet recordings with great dynamics might not sound as they should in this case...

Fit is very good, the size selectors on the headband have a button, which you press to release and move to the next bump. So that should stay in place securely even when putting them down.

The small second band is actually changeable, there are two of them in the box: one that is a little tighter, one that is softer. So you can change the pressure by exchanging these band. They snap into the thicker part above the ear cup. Nifty construction.

The box looks good, being all black with glossy black lining.

Build quality seems excellent, no sharp edges, fine selection of materials and stainless workmanship.

The balanced cable is sold as an accessory, going for ~300,- if I remember that correctly.

The connectors on the headphone are MMX style (the guy at the show said its MMX, but it looked even smaller to me), but with a thicker surrounding that looks nothing fragile and snaps securely into place.

The following is to be taken with tons of salt because I did not hear any other headphone in direct comparison, did not hear the Master-1 for too long (I think it was ~20min, but time flew by... so maybe 30min), had some background noise etc.

Bass did somewhat remind me of the TH900, but a bit less (very welcome as the TH900 is a bit over the top for me). Mids and treble seemed cleaner, treble less aggressive (as the TH900 sometimes can be, with the TH600 having a bit more of a problem in that regard).

As mentioned above I think the Pioneer does not exhibit the light treble problems the K812 shows, but its not as efficient. Comfort is on par I'd say.

The T1 does not have such a bass presence. I'm not talking about sheer volume, with the Master-1 bass is more just there. Its by no means drowning out anything, but its impressively present and clear (that it shares with the TH900, but, as I said above, it has just the right amount while the TH900 is too much for me in that regard. I think sound stage may be a bit more intimate with the T1.

Hope that helps a bit... Price in Europe is 2500,- btw.

May 15, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #35 of 2,188
The biggest Surprice for me at the High end

And now we have two HP'S united in ONE!!!

K812+TH 900 = SE MASTER 1

Uniqueness in sound&buildquality and that from PIONEER!!!!!!! IT'S UNBELIVABLE

Regards and sorry for my bad english

NOMAX

May 15, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #36 of 2,188
The biggest Surprice for me at the High end

And now we have two HP'S united in ONE!!!

K812+TH 900 = SE MASTER 1

Uniqueness in sound&buildquality and that from PIONEER!!!!!!! IT'S UNBELIVABLE

Regards and sorry for my bad english

NOMAX

K812+TH 900? Oh dear....

May 15, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #37 of 2,188
^ sounds promising. I have never heard a pioneer product with recessed mids or really bright treble, or even really shy bass for that matter so this may be one to save up for. How about the soundstage?

May 15, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #38 of 2,188
cu on Sunday, dear Pioneer. Looking forward to it. Will be a great day. 

May 15, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #39 of 2,188
  K812+TH 900? Oh dear....

O-Oh It means I will have to sell my TH900, just when I found the sweet spot with Mullard D getter 12au7  in my amp.
confused.gif

Somebody described the soundstage as better than the HD800, if that is to be believed.

May 15, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #40 of 2,188
That sounds VERY promising :wink:

May 15, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #41 of 2,188
Thanks plakat and Nomax for their favorable impressions. That kind of seals it.

May 16, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #43 of 2,188

biggrin.gif

I have to mention that while it was not the noisy show floor, it was still not a private listening session. That being said I was surprised that they seemed not to leak as much as the K812, isolation is of course not very high, with the M-1 being an open headphone. The pads are very comfortable, deep and soft. It felt like the Sony Z7 in that regard.

They had two models on show, one with the standard cable ending in a 6,3mm jack, the other sporting the optional balanced cable with 2x XLR, both connected to Pioneers own U-05. An iMac was used as the source, but I did not have a look at the software in use as I prefer to test with my own music. So I connected the standard one to my ifi iDSD Micro, fed from my iPhone. The iDSD in Normal setting (i.e. no Turbo) had no problems driving it to ear splitting levels without distortion.
Bass was deep reaching, with good resolution and very convincing drive, not overdoing it, but not a lean presentation for sure. I liked the mid presentation, female voices (yes, that does exist in EDM and electronics as well, but I had some other titles as well :wink: sounded authentic and with a stable spacial presentation. My biggest regret with the K812, its sometimes gritty treble, was no problem here.

Some random notes...
I did try it with my iPhone without an external helper as well, did work. Quite good actually, but volume maxed out. So quiet recordings with great dynamics might not sound as they should in this case...

Fit is very good, the size selectors on the headband have a button, which you press to release and move to the next bump. So that should stay in place securely even when putting them down.

The small second band is actually changeable, there are two of them in the box: one that is a little tighter, one that is softer. So you can change the pressure by exchanging these band. They snap into the thicker part above the ear cup. Nifty construction.

The box looks good, being all black with glossy black lining.

Build quality seems excellent, no sharp edges, fine selection of materials and stainless workmanship.

The balanced cable is sold as an accessory, going for ~300,- if I remember that correctly.

The connectors on the headphone are MMX style (the guy at the show said its MMX, but it looked even smaller to me), but with a thicker surrounding that looks nothing fragile and snaps securely into place.

The following is to be taken with tons of salt because I did not hear any other headphone in direct comparison, did not hear the Master-1 for too long (I think it was ~20min, but time flew by... so maybe 30min), had some background noise etc.

Bass did somewhat remind me of the TH900, but a bit less (very welcome as the TH900 is a bit over the top for me). Mids and treble seemed cleaner, treble less aggressive (as the TH900 sometimes can be, with the TH600 having a bit more of a problem in that regard).

As mentioned above I think the Pioneer does not exhibit the light treble problems the K812 shows, but its not as efficient. Comfort is on par I'd say.

The T1 does not have such a bass presence. I'm not talking about sheer volume, with the Master-1 bass is more just there. Its by no means drowning out anything, but its impressively present and clear (that it shares with the TH900, but, as I said above, it has just the right amount while the TH900 is too much for me in that regard. I think sound stage may be a bit more intimate with the T1.

Hope that helps a bit... Price in Europe is 2500,- btw.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.  These are indeed sounding interesting.  Hope to get a listen at London CanJam in August.

May 16, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #44 of 2,188
Thanks plakat and Nomax for their favorable impressions. That kind of seals it.

I know the price is high and its not cheap but i am sure you will love it

Reagrds Nomax

May 16, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #45 of 2,188
Some untrustworthy brief impressions from the Fujiya Avic festival today: http://www.head-fi.org/t/766651/2015-tokyo-fujiya-avic-spring-headphone-festival-report#post_11606743

arnaud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back