Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
May 13, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #16 of 2,187
Well, the graph doesn't seem flagship material to me...

May 13, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #18 of 2,187
Almost wish the graph was posted accidentally upside down. But open back...yeah right. Hopefully thats an uncompensated graph kind of like Tyll's uncompensated graphs.

May 13, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #19 of 2,187
That's most likely an uncompensated graph. In compensated, those high areas go down and bass area goes up.

Though, I am still worried about treble.

May 13, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #20 of 2,187
Compensated the treble will go down a little but the bass will still suck :))

May 13, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #21 of 2,187
a preliminary, likely doctored FR graph is by no means the full picture, we don't even know whether or not it's compensated for HRTF, what methodology or equipment was used for measurements, how many samples and measurements per sample were used, octave smoothing amount, or anything like that, its just, a line

if we had an awful impulse response or square waves to go along with it, then maybe, but as of now I'm not going to count these out and I would advise people to at least give these a listen or wait for Tyll's plots first

the HD600/650 has a comparable dropoff in the low end on Tyll's raw FR plots and those sound pretty nice

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

May 13, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #22 of 2,187
They kinda remind me of Sony's SAs and Q010 being trimmed to ultrasounds.

With that huge aluminium cone and PEEK outer rim, that driver won't do bass. Especially not in an open back. 
But I don't know anything, Pioneer on the other hand sure does.

the HD600/650 has a comparable dropoff in the low end on Tyll's raw FR plots and those sound pretty nice

They start dropping of at 150 hz while hd600s actually have a hump at 100 hz. just sayin

May 13, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #23 of 2,187
First Review:

deco-gauche.png

Magazine | Newsletter | Contact

OK

deco-gauche-violet.png

IMAGE AND SOUND
MOBILITY
COMPUTER

pastille-blank.png

Home / Mobility / Headphones
deco-droite.png

[ Monday, April 20, 2015] by Jean-Pierre Labro

Testing the Pioneer SE-Master 1: audiophile high-end

Pioneer revives its tradition of audiophile headphones manufacturer. Its latest model, the SE-Master 1 is a pure delight for the ears and it ranks among the best in its class. Engineers have put everything into this helmet and the result is up to their expertise. A standard master!
note.png

plus.png

entree.png
The audiophile quality plays
entree.png
The sound transparency
entree.png
The bass response
entree.png
The width and depth of the sound stage

creux.png

moins.png

entree.png
No cable locking
entree.png
XLR cable sold separately
entree.png
When will mobile version?

pastille-blank.png

Summary
deco-droite.png

1 - Pioneer SE-Master 1: Musical Transparency

hop price (excluding postage)

Pioneer SE-Master 1: Musical Transparency

Pioneer continues to surprise us with the Pioneer SE-Master 1. Despite financial difficulties and after its merger with Onkyo, it confirms its ability to design audio products or outgoing video of the box. Fans of the Japanese brand will have a thought for Kuro plasma TVs or certain audio-video amplifiers ahead of their time. Pioneer has experienced turbulent years, but it seems that the arrival of Onkyo, a brand also highly appreciated by audiophiles and movie buffs enthusiasts, could enact a new beginning. Pending future achievements, we managed to test the latest Pioneer headset. It is not of any additional headset, here we enter into the world of audiophiles. It is good to know that the Japanese brand has always been present in this area. Thus in 1937 the first dynamic speaker, the A-8, was produced in Japan. And in 1960 came out the SE-1 helmet, a dynamic model completely closed, and the family has expanded over the years 70 and 80 including the Master-1G. So it is natural that Pioneer revives this tradition and gave carte blanche to his house engineers. The only constraint: the pleasure of music.

Unique headphones

To achieve this level of excellence, the slightest element of this helmet was designed and developed with extreme care, each helmet is hand-assembled in the Japanese factory in Tohoku Pioneer. The production is three to four models a day, each copy has a serial number engraved on the head supports. A black box it is the setting it is padded and decorated with a black cloth.

This audiophile enjoys an exemplary finish, so much so that each model has its own serial number. A unique specimen!

The Master SE-1 comes with a cable of three meters in length ending in two MMCX taken, OFC Litz cord is woven. On the other side, a 6 jack plug, gold plated 3 mm is used for connection to an audio device, Pioneer offers an optional XLR cable. A tension rod is mounted on the helmet and another is available in the package, they are different and allow the headphones to adjust by reducing or increasing the pressure side of the helmet. The tension rod has two grooves A and B only one, it is thus possible to adjust the lateral tension.

The Pioneer SE-1 Master comes with a detachable cable type MMCX (Micro Miniature Coaxial) it is woven and a length of 3 meters. It is also provided with an additional tension rod to adjust the lateral pressure from earphones.

Two new transducers

SE-Master 1 has HP of 50 mm, it is aluminum diaphragm 25 micron thickness with a ceramic coating in order to ensure a better rigidity. The edges of the diaphragm are ribbed to reduce distortion and the whole achieves unprecedented frequencies from 5 Hz to 85,000 Hz. The pads are large and deep, the shape memory foam is present, and the weight 500 grams remain present but is forgotten when tapping. The arch system is super duralumin, the wide head headband is adjustable to 14 positions using catch. The shells are made of aluminum 3.5 mm thick, it is one of the elements reduces internal resonances and provides more powerful bass.

The pads are large and deep, they are made ​​of shape memory foam and a soft coating provides extended plays without undue distraction.

Pioneer SE-Master 1: dynamic plays and live

We tested this Pioneer SE-Master 1 with headphone amplifier Pioneer U-05 (800 euros) which also contains a D / A converter upscale able to stream high-resolution audio files from a PC or MAC. We also connected the headphones to an amp Onkyo TX-NR727 with Oppo BDP-103. With the Pioneer amp that the result is most striking, that U-05 is a marvel and its association with the SE-Master 1 makes sparks, one is in love from the first notes. Classical, big band, opera, pop, jazz concerts or SE-1 Master transcribed faithfully and transparency any atmosphere. It only has to be carried away! This is natural in all registers with an innate sense of musicality, sound scenes come to life without excesses and with astonishing presence to sound planning levels. It lives with ease and detail means. The bass are present, the attacks are well reproduced bass and Marcus Miller takes life in your ears. This is also the case for Diana Krall, Melody Gardot and La Callas, rich voice and intensity are at the rendezvous. This would go through many pieces listened to, every time the Master SE-1 revives emotions and unpublished musical sensations. These impressions are also confirmed with the amplifier Onkyo, however there is a cut above with the amp Pioneer U-05. In short, a beautiful beast, not for every budget, it is true, but when you love ...

Features:
- Type: Dynamic Audiophile Headphones open type
- Transducers: two 50 mm diameter HP (neodymium)
- Sensitivity: 94 dB
- Frequency response: 5 Hz to 85,000 Hz
- Impedance: 45 ohms
- Input Power: 1,500 mW (max)
- Cable: OFC litz cable 3m
- Accessories: tension rod B, manual
- Weight: 460 g (without cord)

May 13, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #26 of 2,187
That frequency response graph appears to indicate significant bass roll off and a 10db spoke around 15khz, both of which I find highly disconcerting.  No thanks, I'll buy an HD800 AND a TH600 for that price.  Sad as I've always loved Pioneer as a brand (hifi and car components).   Let's hope the compensated graph/real world listening proves differently.

May 14, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #27 of 2,187
  That frequency response graph appears to indicate significant bass roll off and a 10db spoke around 15khz, both of which I find highly disconcerting.  No thanks, I'll buy an HD800 AND a TH600 for that price.  Sad as I've always loved Pioneer as a brand (hifi and car components).   Let's hope the compensated graph/real world listening proves differently.

Yes.

It is also mentioned that the development took six years... That's quite a lot of time for a single product development. I hope this sounds good.

May 14, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #28 of 2,187
I was going to get a HE1000 but since it is a few months away I pre-ordered the Pioneeer SE-Master1 but no luck so far. Same with a couple of other retailers, they will not take any more orders.

"This is an automated email sent from www.fromjapan.co.jp]

Thank you very much for using FROMJAPAN.CO.JP

We regret to inform you that the item(s) you requested has been either discontinued by the supplier, deleted or outbid.

A refund has been sent from our system to your payment origin for this item. For payments via PayPal, the deposit should enter your account straight away. For credit card payments, the refund has been sent as a cancellation of sale and so should be in your account within 1 week, depending on the processing times of your financial institution.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.

-------------- Item Information --------------

Order No: 1735885D
Item's Link: http://fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail83016.html
Quantity: 1

----------------------------------------------

We hope you come back soon at
http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/"

May 14, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #29 of 2,187
popcorn.gif

May 15, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #30 of 2,187
I was going to get a HE1000 but since it is a few months away I pre-ordered the Pioneeer SE-Master1 but no luck so far. Same with a couple of other retailers, they will not take any more orders.

"This is an automated email sent from www.fromjapan.co.jp]

Thank you very much for using FROMJAPAN.CO.JP

We regret to inform you that the item(s) you requested has been either discontinued by the supplier, deleted or outbid.

A refund has been sent from our system to your payment origin for this item. For payments via PayPal, the deposit should enter your account straight away. For credit card payments, the refund has been sent as a cancellation of sale and so should be in your account within 1 week, depending on the processing times of your financial institution.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.

-------------- Item Information --------------

Order No: 1735885D

Item's Link: http://fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail83016.html

Quantity: 1

----------------------------------------------

We hope you come back soon at
http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/"

Did you try pricejapan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back