Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jan 4, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #1,096 of 2,187
I  have great repect  toward you phonomat, i have been reading all of the comments here sense first posted about these headphones .Almost purchased these cans myself !  Alot of passion here 

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #1,097 of 2,187

care to clarify that point?

...and I wondered why I don't really come here much anymore, moderator or not, I find it harder and harder to want to be a part of it around here, and don't worry, I won't let the door hit me on the way out.

I agree! Why am I even coming back here... this thread is so full of ignorance and lacking in knowledge and simple reason that it's not even funny. If you need clarification, just read JaZZ's post or several others further back by me and other non-biased owners with actual insight in how measurements work. 

Indeed, the trolls, not having heard these phones and basing themselves on measurments that can be conducted in any subjective way imaginable, have managed to make this thread about one of the greatest phones around useless.
Funny how some can even write a review simply based on measurements. Ears are overrated. 
tongue.gif

Trolls yes, that's what we are. Even though we have, in thorough and respectful efforts, done our best to make a serious point in order to help potential buyers make a decision, as a contrast to the biased and utterly ignorant praises from the likes of yourself. 

I agree bashing something publicly based on measurements alone is a bad idea, but I listened to the Pioneers at two occasions long before Tyll posted his measurements. First time with one friend, second time with two others. We all very much agreed it sounds like a piece of ****. Others commenting negatively also have listening experience. So I can't see where this scoffing is coming from? 

But you don't care do you? All you want from this thread is a choir of cheerleaders shouting out ratification around your precious, expensive toy which for some reason means so much to you. Polar opinions, and ESPECIALLY those backed up by a degree of objectivity (which yours are not, by the way!) hold no place here. You're the god of the world and your opinion is written in truth on stone tablets, there for man to worship unquestionably.

No more from me on this thread, or any thread on HF for that matter. I certainly have better things to do with my time than trying to talk sense into your thick skull. 

Hey and you know? 717 amp, really?

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #1,098 of 2,187

I agree! Why am I even coming back here... this thread is so full of ignorance and lacking in knowledge and simple reason that it's not even funny. If you need clarification, just read JaZZ's post or several others further back by me and other non-biased owners with actual insight in how measurements work. 

Trolls yes, that's what we are. Even though we have, in thorough and respectful efforts, done our best to make a serious point in order to help potential buyers make a decision, as a contrast to the biased and utterly ignorant praises from the likes of yourself. 

I agree bashing something publicly based on measurements alone is a bad idea, but I listened to the Pioneers at two occasions long before Tyll posted his measurements. First time with one friend, second time with two others. We all very much agreed it sounds like a piece of ****. Others commenting negatively also have listening experience. So I can't see where this scoffing is coming from? 

But you don't care do you? All you want from this thread is a choir of cheerleaders shouting out ratification around your precious, expensive toy which for some reason means so much to you. Polar opinions, and ESPECIALLY those backed up by a degree of objectivity (which yours are not, by the way!) hold no place here. You're the god of the world and your opinion is written in truth on stone tablets, there for man to worship unquestionably.

No more from me on this thread, or any thread on HF for that matter. I certainly have better things to do with my time than trying to talk sense into your thick skull. 

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but to call the pioneers a piece of **** makes you wonder whether you really listened to them. Either you're lying or you somehow had a faulty pair.

these headphones are up there with the very best. Some may say they lack here and there but calling them ****? Grow up.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #1,099 of 2,187

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but to call the pioneers a piece of **** makes you wonder whether you really listened to them. Either you're lying or you somehow had a faulty pair.

these headphones are up there with the very best. Some may say they lack here and there but calling them ****? Grow up.

Don't waste your energy. I had a running discussion over at the other place. He attacked me for no reason and said my 009s were XXXX too bright etc etc. He has the 717 amp which I used to own and does sound lean with the 009s. But drive them well with a Carbon or BHSE and WOW. Also they need at the very least a mid range DAC i.e. smooth, fast and detailed at the same time. A budget Meridian Director (which I have heard at a dealers with my amp and HPs) sounds thin and aggressive. Really to be taken seriously, he needs a decent system himself TBH.

A top tier HP must have a decent DAC and amp to match. otherwise all you will hear is the failing in your face of those source components. The Stax 007s can 'save' or 'mask' some of that to an extent. For example would you go and buy a 50K speaker and put a 600 USD DAC in front of it? Basically the top tier HPs can equal that 50K speaker IMO.

TBH if anyone wants to slag off products like this they need more experience with decent gear first. The long list of 'heard' HPs, where was that? In what system?  At a dealer showroom with shed loads of variables? Clarification required please.

IMO It is best to rate reviews from those who have owned the gear or heard at length at home and on a decent Amp / DAC as a starting point, to at least have a chance to rate the upper HPs. I have not heard the SE Master 1 and will try and get a home demo soon. I won't comment on how it sounds yet.

The audio forums and the posts I take in as advice are the ones by owners / previous owners. Show demos a bit of a disaster, too much noise, not your music, too quick etc etc. Dealer demo's are so so as not your own gear. At home demo's if a few hours minimum are good.

IMO this forum is still the best for manufactured gear as there are just more owners who actually have the gear they are talking about. Yeah, many theorise and 'guess' but generally they don't get aggressive or troll. Also the amount of folk who have joined and posting is the biggest of any HP forum TBH. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #1,100 of 2,187
i found out too late, sadly, that there was a sem1 on demo in a store in the city during the month of nov. not sure if or when i'll ever have another chance to try it. :frowning2:

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,101 of 2,187
Soooo, last night I returned to the Master for the first time after several weeks of listening almost exclusively to the Z1R. I'd just bought the new SOHN album, Rennen, and thought I'd listen to one or two songs in bed just before falling asleep. As soon as the first notes hit my ears, I was grinning from ear to ear. (I call it the Pioneer grin, looks something like this:
atsmile.gif
.) My body literally started to release adrenaline, and I got all tingly. In all seriousness, the sound was so visceral as to literally have a physical impact. So very exciting, quite indescribable really. During the past couple of weeks, there had never been a question to me that the Master1 was subjectively the superior headphone, but I had almost forgotten just how good it really is. It plays in a different league, as far as I'm concerned. I was unable to stop and listened to the whole album in one go.

I would like to ask any M1 owners a personal favor: Please get the album Rennen by SOHN if you can, and listen to it through a decent source and your Pio. Redbook will do. If you have any doubts about the prowess of this can (which I doubt), I think it is tailor-made to demonstrate how capable the Master1 really is. I can't even highlight one or two certain songs, the whole album is stellar. Even if you shouldn't like the songwriting or the artist's voice, the sound design and production on this is just to die for and has to be heard. Sounds were exploding all around my head like fireworks, projected into the room with laser-sharp precision; it sounded so out of my head it was almost unbelievable. Now some of this may have to be accredited to the effect of switching back after a prolonged time period, thereby accentuating the M1's relative strengths. But the combination of vast soundstage, pinpoint imaging and full-bodied sound is just generally out of this world. All that was via just the Hugo, btw, and I was fairly sober. 
biggrin.gif

So I guess, for me at least it's open headphones over closed cans any day (assuming it's not a day when construction work is going on in front of your study's window
biggrin.gif
), and the SE-Master1 over any other open headphone I've heard to date. It's just headshakingly amazing. Sorry if I'm gushing again, but last night really made a fresh impression on me, and I felt compelled to share. I guess in a way I still am amazed by the fact that an electronic device can affect me in such a basal manner. It's like I'm astounded by my own capacity for affection for this wonderful object. This has to be my single most rewarding purchase since buying a PS1 and Final Fantasy VII on the same day (whoops, showing my age here; elder members might remember). It's just that good.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #1,104 of 2,187
As recommended
smily_headphones1.gif
, I listened to the album Rennen by SOHN on my SEM1 yesterday and while I really enjoyed it, I started feeling restless already into the 3rd song (Signal) to the point where I actually skipped it.
Turns out that this album unfortunately suffers from the same disease as many other albums today. It's very heavily compressed. See here: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/122207 and the 3rd song almost has no dynamic range at all.
I'm really sad to see (hear) that Loudness War still is not over...
[Edit] The album is still good though, but it could have been even better...

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #1,105 of 2,187
Certainly good enough for me. 
L3000.gif
 I listened to the album again yesterday (even more sober
wink.gif
), and while I certainly notice the compression you mention, I don't find it bothersome and enjoyed the experience very much again. Perhaps there's just so much going on in these tracks that I'm distracted enough. I guess I'm just focusing on different things like general immersion and the encompassing 3-D headstage. That being said, I've always felt that the whole "loudness wars" thing was blown out of proportion. It's never been a big issue for me in the sense that I would go out of my way to get my hands on some different, less compressed master of a record. Anyway, my excitement might have been in large part due to returning to the Master1 after spending so much time with the Z1R. I know it's a terribly clichéd thing to say, but it was like stepping out of a dark forest onto an illuminated clearing. Since I emphasized the quality of the recording, however, I guess it's a fair objection to make. Thanks for giving it a try anyhow! It's cool that you liked it a bit.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #1,107 of 2,187
Speaking of great tracks that sound great on the Pioneer SEM1.

I get goosebumps when I listen to these track on it:

Track 1:

From the album Hurry Up,We're Dreaming ------------------ 

M83 - Midnight City [FLAC]

The song ends on with an epic saxophone solo played by Fitz and The Tantrums' James King, Kick back and listen with SEM1's with a good dac/amp 

Track 2:

From the Westworld soundtrack

Ramin Djawadi - Sweetwater [FLAC]

Track 3:

Bjork - All is full of Love [FLAC]

Track 4:

Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme [FLAC]

Track 5:

From the remastered album The Queen is Dead

The Smiths - Some girls are bigger than other girls [FLAC]

fast track beautifully handled by SEM1s

Other tracks:

Vibrasphere - Ensueno
The Cure - Lullaby
Hans Zimmer - General Zod or Arcade or Look at the stars
Sting - Fields of Gold (LIVE)
Leftfeld - Rino's Prayer
Talvin Singh - Butterfly
DJ Shadow - You Can't Go Home Again
Shigeru Umebayashi - The Echo Game
Bog - Rewired

My setup:

FLAC Music Library > Macbook Pro > Decibel > Sennheiser HDVD800 > Pioneer SE-Master 1

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #1,110 of 2,187
I'm still enjoying the excellent sounding Pioneer SE-M1, I recently listened to some vinyl rips to DSD I made.

I used

Yamaha GT-2000 turntable with Shelter 501 cart as source (pictured) - Klyne 7PX Phono Stage - into Korg MR-2000s 1 bit studio recorder. All vinyl were copied to DSD.

I used JRiver to analyze the dynamic range.

The Phantom Band Checkmate Savage one of my favourite vinyl albums - Dynamic Range is around 13 and sounds much better than the compressed CD copy I have.

Marrs - Pump Up The Volume 45rpm 12 inch vinyl - Dynamic Range only 10 however this classic electronic track really sounds great as a DSD.

A couple of mates commented that they had never heard so much detail in the Pump Up The Volume recording - they all enjoyed the SE-M1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back