Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Oct 7, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #887 of 2,187
Tyll said this:

Oh my...I doesn't look good for the latest Pioneer flagship. The SE Master 1 has a pretty significant spike at 6kHz, but more worrying to me is the amount of ringing I see and hear. I'd characterize these as "zingy". I didn't hear the distortion in the bass, mostly because I wanted to stop listening. Zing!
Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-update-january-2016#X2RILEATVKEHhBHA.99

I wonder how he never heard the shrill in the HD800 treble???

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #888 of 2,187
he acknowledged that the hd800's 6khz treble peak could be problematic on more than one occasion

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #889 of 2,187
I got good new and bad.  

Good news is at RMAF I got my Master1 tested at audio precision.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1lc1CasoL7EMDAxN2FJRHppcmM

Bad news is my Master1 died after the event.  It worked fine at the show.  After I got home and plug the cable back inside,  left side had no sound.  Seems like the MMCX pin on the left side broke. :/

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #893 of 2,187
Yeah I'll be contacting pioneer. I just got these a month ago in akihabara yodobashi. I asked at rmaf pioneer booth and he said try contracting pioneer support if they are able to help. He said they might not be able to since they were purchased in Japan.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #894 of 2,187
I just got off the phone with PioneerUSA and they said they are unable to help me with my Master1 and would have to contact Japan directly.  

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #897 of 2,187
  I got good new and bad.  

Good news is at RMAF I got my Master1 tested at audio precision.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1lc1CasoL7EMDAxN2FJRHppcmM

Bad news is my Master1 died after the event.  It worked fine at the show.  After I got home and plug the cable back inside,  left side had no sound.  Seems like the MMCX pin on the left side broke. :/

​If the pin is on the cable, why not try a replacement cable and see if it works. I had a similar issue but it had to do with the connector inside the HPs. Swap the left side of the cable with the right and see if the left side has sound. That should tell you whether its the cable or the HPs.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #898 of 2,187
Thanks for the idea but that was first thing I tried last week. Sadly the damage pin are on the headphone side.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #899 of 2,187
Thanks for the idea but that was first thing I tried last week. Sadly the damage pin are on the headphone side.

​Like I said they replaced mine under warranty with a new one and there were no issues except that I had to ship it back to Japan.

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #900 of 2,187
Heard the SE1s for the first time today and compared them against the HD800S and Grado PS1000e.

I can honestly say the SE1s have more punch, clarity, musicality. They are a pleasure to listen to with the right amp/dac. For this test I used Sennheiser's own HDVD800.

This pair of headphones may well be the holy grail of headphones in the $2000-$7000 bracket. Absolutely stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back