Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #2,026 of 2,188
They are ok, but in all honesty, I like the SR2 better. The headband on mine is breaking down. There are some companies that make ear pads that make replacements. I think Dakoni does. They don't state for the Pioneer but you can contact them.
What’s an SR2? ibasso?

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #2,027 of 2,188
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #2,028 of 2,188
Apr 14, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #2,029 of 2,188
Have you tried the SE-Master1’s with an upgraded cable?
Yes, I use Whiplash silver/gold 8 braid. The best I have heard in cables.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #2,030 of 2,188
Yes, I use Whiplash silver/gold 8 braid. The best I have heard in cables.
That is a very nice cable! You really like the SR2’s more? Granted I own a few headphones that I think are better

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #2,031 of 2,188
That is a very nice cable! You really like the SR2’s more? Granted I own a few headphones that I think are better
I seem to have to fight with the Pioneer to get them to sound good. The right music and right amp. I don't have that issue with the SR2. The Utopia are a little more open sounding than the Sr2, with the SR2 a little more intimate but it does the music right.

May 16, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #2,032 of 2,188
I seem to have to fight with the Pioneer to get them to sound good. The right music and right amp. I don't have that issue with the SR2. The Utopia are a little more open sounding than the Sr2, with the SR2 a little more intimate but it does the music right.
Surprised to hear you liked the SR2 more, having heard both. Dynamics, imaging, image clarity, resolution all I found to be the Pioneer's camp, whereas the SR2 had an interesting more laid-back sound. That being said I think the Pioneer and SR2 are probably closer to each other than they are the LCD5--which I find to be an absolute technical monster with agreeable tuning without needing to EQ (I have/had to EQ both the Pioneer and SR2). The LCD5 has seemed to knock the Pioneer out of my "favorite" spot.

May 16, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #2,033 of 2,188
I just want to know where can we get replacement pads for our SEM1’s.

May 16, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #2,034 of 2,188
Seems Vesper audio was mentioned before, could be worth a look if you need new pads.

May 16, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #2,035 of 2,188
Seems Vesper audio was mentioned before, could be worth a look if you need new pads.
I reached out to them and I haven’t gotten a response yet unfortunately.

May 17, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #2,036 of 2,188
Surprised to hear you liked the SR2 more, having heard both. Dynamics, imaging, image clarity, resolution all I found to be the Pioneer's camp, whereas the SR2 had an interesting more laid-back sound. That being said I think the Pioneer and SR2 are probably closer to each other than they are the LCD5--which I find to be an absolute technical monster with agreeable tuning without needing to EQ (I have/had to EQ both the Pioneer and SR2). The LCD5 has seemed to knock the Pioneer out of my "favorite" spot.

In my opinion the SEM1 does not need any EQ at all. I think it depends on what sound you are looking for. I'm perfectly happy with what it does.

I once did an extensive A/B testing with my Sennheiser HD800S. Quite a different beast, offering an openness and clarity which very few headphones can compete with. For voice and acoustic solo/duo instrument recordings, the HD800S is superior, hands down. Whatever EQ setting I applied on SEM1, it could never come close when it comes to detail and clarity. So, I decided to sell my SEM1 for that reason, and I nearly did. However... after some time, I found that the SEM1 is much better in most other musical contexts, bringing more body and presence while maintaining the same spacious atmosphere. So, both headphones are great. I'm getting a lot more curious on the LCD5 now though!

May 17, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #2,037 of 2,188
In my opinion the SEM1 does not need any EQ at all. I think it depends on what sound you are looking for. I'm perfectly happy with what it does.

I once did an extensive A/B testing with my Sennheiser HD800S. Quite a different beast, offering an openness and clarity which very few headphones can compete with. For voice and acoustic solo/duo instrument recordings, the HD800S is superior, hands down. Whatever EQ setting I applied on SEM1, it could never come close when it comes to detail and clarity. So, I decided to sell my SEM1 for that reason, and I nearly did. However... after some time, I found that the SEM1 is much better in most other musical contexts, bringing more body and presence while maintaining the same spacious atmosphere. So, both headphones are great. I'm getting a lot more curious on the LCD5 now though!
Yea totally agree you don't have to EQ to get a lot out of it, just for me it was a little bit too hot in the treble in some less-than-stellar production tracks (I would say the same about the HD800 too).

I do recommend giving the LCD5 a go if you ever have the chance, it is veeeeery smooth while having "TOTL" detail (not quite estat-level, but I would put it equal to the Susvara).

That being said, DDs like the Pioneer have a certain fun-factor that is addicting to keep listening to, like you mention. Strong low-end and plenty of space.

Jun 1, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #2,038 of 2,188
I just saw a NOS SE-Master1 listed in rakuten store at just a bit more than ¥123,000. I haven't had the chance to demo this before but i like exemplary quality of (which can sound a bit weird in some cases) Japanese high end headphones so ordered one at this deeply discounted price right away anyway. Will report more after i get hold of the new toys 😀

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #2,039 of 2,188
There was some sort of driver revision that an owner showed pictures of a while ago, I wonder how that panned out sound wise?

I'd be pumped to get a NOS SEM1, but I'd also let the old audiophile nervosa set in, asking which would be better if I was buying the headphones again... or how to find out after which serial number the drivers and assembly parts were changed... are their any posts on the native Japanese forums...

Make sure to show pics of the new SEM1 when you get it!

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #2,040 of 2,188
Just received this baby today :smile_phones:

surprisingly light to wear despite the 460g official figure suggests otherwise. the build quality is superb! the mmcx cable connectors locked with a reassuring "click" and felt very sturdy. the thick 6.3mm cable is very soft and easy to manage. the quality feels much better than most headphones, at least better than ATH-ADX5000, AWAS and AWKT to me.

just listened to a few songs so far and the sound is very lively and there is quite a lot of treble (and also mid-bass) energy. i think many will wish for less treble output, maybe even less mid-bass . . . no idea how much this is related to the air studio tuning. this sounds quite different than most vocal biased cans from ATH but also entertaining for certain music genres. contrary to the sensitivity suggests (94dB/mW @ 45Ω vs 98dB/w @ 60Ω), it's fairly easy to drive and i've to dial down the vol by quite a lot when swapping out d8000pro with this new toy (vol. at ~10 o'clock vs 12 o'clock at low gain from A90).

btw, the s/n # on my unit is 1192. seems sitting in the warehouse for a long, long time already. at just ¥123,000, definitely a better buy than awas/awkt or MDR-Z1r to me if your target is not limited to closed backs.

Attachments

• 20220608_192427.jpg
    20220608_192427.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220608_192257.jpg
    20220608_192257.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220608_185715.jpg
    20220608_185715.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread