Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jan 2, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #2,387 of 2,532
Hello everyone! New here on the forum and am looking to buy a used xdp300r in japan. What should I look out for considering its used? Is there any way I can determine when it was manufactured? Thanks!

I would think :
1. That it is completely funtional!
2. That the battery can hold a charge. Not sure how you can test this other than seeing how long battery stays full after charging.

(Not sure about date of manufacture.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #2,388 of 2,532
Hello everyone! New here on the forum and am looking to buy a used xdp300r in japan. What should I look out for considering its used? Is there any way I can determine when it was manufactured? Thanks!

Several users have had issues with the headphone and power jacks breaking loose internally. I would make sure those connections are sound and not loose or moving around at all.

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,389 of 2,532
Several users have had issues with the headphone and power jacks breaking loose internally. I would make sure those connections are sound and not loose or moving around at all.
Power jack as the micro usb port? The headphone jack made me stay away from the onkyo dpx1a since I have read pioneer has made changes to ensure the jacks are secured (or is it still an issue?). I am planning on buying the player from a store (e-earphone) so I can test everything except the battery.

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #2,390 of 2,532
My micro usb port has gradually deteriorated over several years. Right now, it only works with one specific usb cable... which is really weird, but it's better than no cables working. Assuming there is nothing better in my price range when this one finally stops accepting a charge, I will probably replace it with an identical player, but will somehow-to-be-determined attach a short 90-degree extension cable/adapter to the usb port and then only charge from it. This will look ugly and make the player a lot less pleasantly portable. Oh well.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #2,391 of 2,532
Power jack as the micro usb port? The headphone jack made me stay away from the onkyo dpx1a since I have read pioneer has made changes to ensure the jacks are secured (or is it still an issue?). I am planning on buying the player from a store (e-earphone) so I can test everything except the battery.
It's still an issue. Honestly I would stay away from this DAP. Mine sounded fantastic, better than My Sony ZX300, but I was literally scared to use it for fear of breaking it. I did the epoxy mod to strengthen up the jacks and then sold it.

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #2,392 of 2,532
Well that's just a bummer. I can't really afford a new dap so I'm resorting to used units since I can have this dap for around 28000 yen only, minimal to no scratches. But hearing about the issues with the jacks and port breaking, I think I'll take your advice and pass.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #2,393 of 2,532
Well that's just a bummer. I can't really afford a new dap so I'm resorting to used units since I can have this dap for around 28000 yen only, minimal to no scratches. But hearing about the issues with the jacks and port breaking, I think I'll take your advice and pass.
There should be plenty of other choices in the used market in that price range. Keep in mind there are plenty of people who have use the Pioneer without issue, I was one of them, but I was in constant fear of breaking it.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #2,394 of 2,532

I've had mine for two years, and used it every day on the commute to and from work and for long coach and train journeys. This meant it was tucked in my inside jacket pocket or, in the heat of the summer, inside my bag. I have never had a problem or fear regarding the headphone jacks or ports, and consider it one of the most incredible purchases I've ever made, with enthralling sound and amazing capacity and ease of use.

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #2,395 of 2,532
There should be plenty of other choices in the used market in that price range. Keep in mind there are plenty of people who have use the Pioneer without issue, I was one of them.

Yeah, more or less the same here. Been using mine daily for the last two years (very nearly). Two 400GB Micro SD cards, lots of FLAC and Hi-Res music. No issues at all I'm glad to say. Amazing sound, takes some work to get the EQ right (it's revealing nature I've found requires more work sometimes).

My worry I suppose (but this is not unique to the Pioneer) is that eventually that battery will give up, but I use a low amp charger which should help over time. I still get about ten hours of listening a day.

I don't stream though, always music via onboard storage, except for the odd podcast.

However I will say that yes there are aspects of the player that do look delicate. Like the headphone jacks for example, but I'm careful and never had any problems. Listen every day via in-earphones and the 660S's.

Having said that though I've seen £1000 laptops with very poor USB sockets that have been accidentally broken by the owners, etc. So it's not a problem unique to the Pioneer.

I'm repeating myself as I said this in a previous post but I think Apple are probably one of the best at headphone sockets (when their products had them). Two lots of screws holding the socket into a solid piece of metal plus also the screen clamped down over the top to hold the socket in place. Most manufacturers simply solder the socket to the main board and maybe a few small metal tabs holding the socket in place and that's it. Even the iPod Classic had screws holding the headphone socket in place. Shame more manufacturers don't follow this example, I think Sony do though on their DAP's.

Having said that though I would never use it at the gym for example, just too expensive and I would hate to drop the thing. Mind you a lot of us would be like that with a product this pricey, Sony, A&K, etc.

If Sony ever made a DAP with twin micro SD cards I would be very interested for sure. The Fiio M11 is an interesting player as well but the reviews are bit frustrating as they always seem to concentrate on the features rather than the actual sound sometimes. haha.

Shame Pioneer didn't decide to make a 350R for example with APTx HD, stronger headphone sockets, maybe USB-C for charging, a slightly bigger battery (maybe 20% more capacity would be enough). Then it would be almost perfect.

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #2,396 of 2,532
I've had mine for two years, and used it every day on the commute to and from work and for long coach and train journeys. This meant it was tucked in my inside jacket pocket or, in the heat of the summer, inside my bag. I have never had a problem or fear regarding the headphone jacks or ports, and consider it one of the most incredible purchases I've ever made, with enthralling sound and amazing capacity and ease of use.
I was actually in the market for some time when a friend recommended me this specific player. Told me its a great player that should last. There are also a couple of people here that have bought used pioneer's that (seem to) encounter zero problems. I think the biggest risk I'm taking is buying it used and not knowing its previous life. That's why I'm asking if there is a way I can determine the mfg date, knowing these have been around a couple of years. At least I can have an idea how long the player has been used.

Yeah, more or less the same here. Been using mine daily for the last two years (very nearly). Two 400GB Micro SD cards, lots of FLAC and Hi-Res music. No issues at all I'm glad to say. Amazing sound, takes some work to get the EQ right (it's revealing nature I've found requires more work sometimes).

My worry I suppose (but this is not unique to the Pioneer) is that eventually that battery will give up, but I use a low amp charger which should help over time. I still get about ten hours of listening a day.

I don't stream though, always music via onboard storage, except for the odd podcast.

However I will say that yes there are aspects of the player that do look delicate. Like the headphone jacks for example, but I'm careful and never had any problems. Listen every day via in-earphones and the 660S's.

Having said that though I've seen £1000 laptops with very poor USB sockets that have been accidentally broken by the owners, etc. So it's not a problem unique to the Pioneer.

I'm repeating myself as I said this in a previous post but I think Apple are probably one of the best at headphone sockets (when their products had them). Two lots of screws holding the socket into a solid piece of metal plus also the screen clamped down over the top to hold the socket in place. Most manufacturers simply solder the socket to the main board and maybe a few small metal tabs holding the socket in place and that's it. Even the iPod Classic had screws holding the headphone socket in place. Shame more manufacturers don't follow this example, I think Sony do though on their DAP's.

Having said that though I would never use it at the gym for example, just too expensive and I would hate to drop the thing. Mind you a lot of us would be like that with a product this pricey, Sony, A&K, etc.

If Sony ever made a DAP with twin micro SD cards I would be very interested for sure. The Fiio M11 is an interesting player as well but the reviews are bit frustrating as they always seem to concentrate on the features rather than the actual sound sometimes. haha.

Shame Pioneer didn't decide to make a 350R for example with APTx HD, stronger headphone sockets, maybe USB-C for charging, a slightly bigger battery (maybe 20% more capacity would be enough). Then it would be almost perfect.

I think some users here may have already replaced the battery but Im not sure. Also wondering if pioneer will ever make a replacement, and when it will be released

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #2,397 of 2,532
I think some users here may have already replaced the battery but I'm not sure.

Yes I would imagine it's possible. The screen is simply stuck onto the frame (not bonded thankfully), so if you gently heated it you could remove it. However I would imagine that you could mark the edges of the screen easily if you did (guitar picks is the best tool usually). Would be useful to have a spare screen assembly if all goes horribly wrong but that's unlikely.

I've repaired a few of the iPod touches and they have a similar arrangement. The screen is stuck onto the chassis using a black double sided tape. The problem with them is everything is so crammed into those players that trying to get them back together well is a major pain! haha.

But yes after maybe some years of ownership I'll probably give it a shot, if the battery gets to that sort of condition.

Feb 23, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #2,398 of 2,532
About to buy used pioneer XDP300r. What's the latest Android version on this DAP? Are there any mod of higher Android version?

Planning to buy this because of the Snapdragon 801, I think it's better compared to ibasso dx160 with Android 4XX series.

And last, Is this dap can be used as external DAC/amp?

Feb 23, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #2,399 of 2,532
About to buy used pioneer XDP300r. What's the latest Android version on this DAP? Are there any mod of higher Android version?

Planning to buy this because of the Snapdragon 801, I think it's better compared to ibasso dx160 with Android 4XX series.

And last, Is this dap can be used as external DAC/amp?

300r is outdated get the 160 instead. Ibasso has a better trackrecord for releasing updates compared to pioneer. Plus the sound 300r produces is really lacking. I sold mine shortly after pruchasing it due to the sound quality. Its really cold, sterile, literally boring as hell not to mention overly processed sound. If it wasnt for the hypers in my country i would have never even bothered to get this dap. Its also very clunky, and along with its dodgy ports can easily be broken, and as far as i know nobody outside hk can fix this dap.

I dont have that much of an experience with daps but i have owned and tried a couple (ones that are very highly regarded) but amongst those this is not worth the hype now. Sure this was groundbreaking when it launched but now it is just...
A
Big
Fat
NO.

Save your money trust me it will better you in the long run.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back