Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Dec 31, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #2,041 of 2,532
I know, he bought them for 350 pounds. I was thinking about getting them but to be honest despite the fact that they are so great, its not my favorite tunning. They are quite bassy and dark at the beginning, but after a while u can hear great cameral soundstage, superb bass extension and beautifully articulated instruments. My type is more light, opened sound, concert hall-like i would say. But if u like a bit darker, very analog sound with very precise soundstage, beautifully rendered soud of an instrument, these cans will fulfill your expectations! But as I said, it was from SE. I bet from normal BAL, they will get even more pronounced sound with even greater dynamics. From ACG mode this has to be a dream sound.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #2,042 of 2,532
Happy New Year everyone

One site I checked quoted the output impedance in balanced mode at 7 ohms but I couldn't find a figure for SE mode so the 300R may have a higher than desirable output impedance value.

If you stick with headphone and IEM models in the suggested impedance ranges you should get a good pairing. A few users have noticed, myself included that some bass is lost with lower impedance IEM's like the Shure SE846.

I've never noticed any hiss with any IEM I've used with this DAP, but you need to look at the sensitivity value for the IEM and not just the impedance. Low impedance, high sensitivity IEM's are most likely to exhibit a hiss issue, although not necessarily with this DAP.

Yes, Low Impedance and High Sensitivity IEM. I was planning using this for my Solaris. IMO, Solaris needs neutral/a bit bright DAP, at last from the one that I have. I noticed when using stack with my note 8 + Bright Amp (NX4 DSD). The sound is much bettee in my ear

Like @SteveOliver ^^ says :wink:.
I don't use IEM's any more but the ones I used were from Trinity and not that critical.

I am still more than happy with the XDP-300R:
Having 2 MicroSD card slots is great
The standard music player is plain simple but doing best what it should be doing; playing music.
BT is not it's best feature but I use it wired 99% of the time anyway.
The amp could use some more power for high impedance cans.
Still get around 11 hours of playtime single ended use.
I understand, Thank you for the point. Myself similar using DAP, wired, not a fan of BT, and just stack an AMP to DAP for high Can...

Will try to find someone that have it, and try with my IEM... prob the best, since then DAP already been around for a while..

Jan 1, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #2,043 of 2,532
@fokta I don't think the 300R will be a good match with the Solaris, I found an impedance graph online, the dark green line is the impedance curve. Notice it starts very low at around 3.2 ohms, as a result I think the pairing will suffer from the same bass issues as the SE846, Solaris may sound OK but different to how it would with other DAPs. Perhaps look at the Sony range or the iBasso DX200.

graph.PNG

Jan 1, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #2,044 of 2,532
@fokta I don't think the 300R will be a good match with the Solaris, I found an impedance graph online, the dark green line is the impedance curve. Notice it starts very low at around 3.2 ohms, as a result I think the pairing will suffer from the same bass issues as the SE846, Solaris may sound OK but different to how it would with other DAPs. Perhaps look at the Sony range or the iBasso DX200.

Highly appreciate....
I will try it if there's a chance...

Means downs to DX200 or R6 pro then...

Again Thank you and happy new year

Jan 1, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #2,045 of 2,532
Now if I could just figure out why most of the time mine does not display album art but other times it displays it all. Every file has an embedded 600 x 600 jpg plus a folder,jpg file.
I can tell how it's going to be when I start it up. If it isn't in the mood to do art it won't do any, or just one or two. If it displays art when I turn it on it tends to do well.
I came from a Fiio X5iii that is quirky in many ways, but album art wasn't one of them. It's always something with these players.
The odd thing is my Samsung S8 doesn't appear to have issues. Fun.

Jan 1, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #2,046 of 2,532
Now if I could just figure out why most of the time mine does not display album art but other times it displays it all. Every file has an embedded 600 x 600 jpg plus a folder,jpg file.
I can tell how it's going to be when I start it up. If it isn't in the mood to do art it won't do any, or just one or two. If it displays art when I turn it on it tends to do well.
I came from a Fiio X5iii that is quirky in many ways, but album art wasn't one of them. It's always something with these players.
That's strange, I have no issues with that, just making sure every file has album art embedded, using MP3TAG to check, and there is a cover.jpg in each directory does the trick.

Happy new year and enjoy the music!

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #2,047 of 2,532

hmm. already Demo it with Solaris, neutral DAP,
almost black background, Bass a bit tight, Mid sparkle more.... and good price.... Tempting.

edit : @SteveOliver U re right, Low Freq is not optimal for Solaris on XDP300R. my Stack combo X5iii +e12a can deliver better Bass. But in Mid is get more detail and High spark detail, Top notch 300R... Good pairing with Andro OG, IMO.

Doing side by side with DX200 AMP1, I prefer DX200, Low freq and Soundstage is stand out compare to 300R. IMO.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #2,050 of 2,532

Very odd, because I had the complete opposite -- during my brief dalliance with the Fiio X5iii, which ended after it kept crashing over an over again, artwork was missing for loads of albums, even box sets which were ripped at the same time and had the same image. Admittedly, my software of choice (CDex) doesn't automatically provide artwork, and so I have to add it manually, but merely saving a copy of the image to the relevant folder and calling it "cover" has always worked fine - it worked for my Cowon X7, worked for my Fiio X5ii, but most definitely NOT for the X5iii (nor, for that matter, the Pioneer 30R, which went straight back when I saw that). I was told, on various forums, that the fault lay in my tagging, but the 300R has had no such problems (and neither has my phone, a Moto G5) so it all seems a bit capricious.

If it's any help at all, we've recently got a new car with an in-car stereo system that only took MP3s, so I spent ages ripping all the old CDs we'd had in the car into MP3s, only to discover that the artwork didn't display. I went through, this time re-tagging them all the tracks so that the artwork would be attached, only to find that it still wasn't displaying some, until I got the images down to 500 x 500 jpg at most. Anything bigger than that, it wouldn't display. I'm not saying this is definitely the problem, and 600 x 600 doesn't seem that way off, but it might be a lead worth following.

Jan 6, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #2,051 of 2,532
Very odd, because I had the complete opposite -- during my brief dalliance with the Fiio X5iii, which ended after it kept crashing over an over again, artwork was missing for loads of albums, even box sets which were ripped at the same time and had the same image. Admittedly, my software of choice (CDex) doesn't automatically provide artwork, and so I have to add it manually, but merely saving a copy of the image to the relevant folder and calling it "cover" has always worked fine - it worked for my Cowon X7, worked for my Fiio X5ii, but most definitely NOT for the X5iii (nor, for that matter, the Pioneer 30R, which went straight back when I saw that). I was told, on various forums, that the fault lay in my tagging, but the 300R has had no such problems (and neither has my phone, a Moto G5) so it all seems a bit capricious.

If it's any help at all, we've recently got a new car with an in-car stereo system that only took MP3s, so I spent ages ripping all the old CDs we'd had in the car into MP3s, only to discover that the artwork didn't display. I went through, this time re-tagging them all the tracks so that the artwork would be attached, only to find that it still wasn't displaying some, until I got the images down to 500 x 500 jpg at most. Anything bigger than that, it wouldn't display. I'm not saying this is definitely the problem, and 600 x 600 doesn't seem that way off, but it might be a lead worth following.

Not really too sure what to suggest.

I’ve album art ranging from about 800x800 to 1200x1200 and it all displays fine on the player.

The only albums that are currently blank are the cd’s dbpoweramp couldn’t find art for. So I need to scan those covers in.

The only two things I can think of are some players will maybe look for a folder.jpg file (as mentioned above) and others prefer embedded data into each file. Just a guess maybe. This player needs embedded data it seems. I can delete the folder.jpg file and it makes no difference. The album art is still there.

One other possibility. Is there a chance that the files you’ve mentioned have two files embedded into them? You can assign multiple images to files via dbpoweramp and the ID Tag properties page. That might confuse the player.

If you like you can upload a few troublesome files to google drive or use wetransfer.com and send me a PM, maybe I’ll spot something you’ve missed.

I’ve had no such issues so far but I have spent a crazy amount of time working on my library since I re-ripped it all some months back. Making sure all the years were correct and so on, I’m currently sorting all the music types as I get things like blues, blues-rock, blues-smooth, and blues-unknown for example. Lol

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #2,052 of 2,532
The problem is not the files, thanks though.

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #2,053 of 2,532
Not really too sure what to suggest.

I’ve album art ranging from about 800x800 to 1200x1200 and it all displays fine on the player.

The only albums that are currently blank are the cd’s dbpoweramp couldn’t find art for. So I need to scan those covers in.

The only two things I can think of are some players will maybe look for a folder.jpg file (as mentioned above) and others prefer embedded data into each file. Just a guess maybe. This player needs embedded data it seems. I can delete the folder.jpg file and it makes no difference. The album art is still there.

Yes, I've never had a problem with file size with the 300R (or my old Cowon X7, my first player to display cover art) only with the Fiio X5iii and the Pioneer 30r. When I went on forums, other people suggested it was the file size, but I knew that didn't make sense. It was only when ripping mp3s specifically for the car that I really ran across the problem, which was a pain. Ever since getting a portable music player, I've used CDex to rip and, more recently, Monkey Media to meddle with the tags, and I used the latter for the car. It was a long, laborious and mainly manual task, but over the last few months I've got it done. Is dbpoweramp worth the money? Just wondering. Faced with the task of adding album art to the mp3s, I did consider buying something that would do it for me.

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #2,054 of 2,532
The problem is not the files, thanks though.

I'm sorry my friend but you're living in denial, haha.

It must be the files. Somethings wrong with them, or the tags are incorrect, or maybe it's the way the tags were applied. Are they FLAC, MP3, or AAC for example. There's always a solution to everything it's just a case of figuring out the reason :)

I've had zero issues with artwork so blaming the player isn't exactly fair matey. These things are sent to try us though and I can understand the frustration.

Anyway, the help is there if you need it my friend, only too happy to help out if you need it :)

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #2,055 of 2,532
Yes, I've never had a problem with file size with the 300R (or my old Cowon X7, my first player to display cover art) only with the Fiio X5iii and the Pioneer 30r. When I went on forums, other people suggested it was the file size, but I knew that didn't make sense. It was only when ripping mp3s specifically for the car that I really ran across the problem, which was a pain. Ever since getting a portable music player, I've used CDex to rip and, more recently, Monkey Media to meddle with the tags, and I used the latter for the car. It was a long, laborious and mainly manual task, but over the last few months I've got it done. Is dbpoweramp worth the money? Just wondering. Faced with the task of adding album art to the mp3s, I did consider buying something that would do it for me.

Hey Adam. Well I had nearly 2,000 CD's to re-rip and I decided that I preferred to spend a few pound and get something solid to work with. I know a lot of people on here prefer to do everything via free software and that's cool but as you've mentioned above it can be fiddly when you have to bounce between different applications.

Yes I found Dbpoweramp pretty good for my needs. It managed to pick up track data and cover art for almost every single CD I own. Including some very old or unusual CD's which I was pretty impressed with. The facility to rip in two file formats at the same time was another feature that attracted me as well. FLAC is great but large in size. I have a running watch so I ripped at 256 AAC at the same time. Nothing like some AC/DC to run a bit faster, lol. :)

Minus points? Well I suppose it would be cool to have the facility to create playlists via an addon application. I know it's a "hack" but the ability in iTunes to make all the songs the same output level would be useful as well. However I can live without that. Playlists can be worked on later.

The application also adds a more detailed "right click" tag application. So when you right click on a file and select ID properties, you get a full window with all the detail, options to load a folder.jpg as image art or it can search the internet for a suitable image. You can add, remove tags as needed as well.

If you find some trouble finding artwork I came across this website which works really well. https://bendodson.com/projects/itunes-artwork-finder/ You can download at ridiculously high resolutions if you wish, but 1000x1000 is good enough for me and a nice balance for file size.

I did previously use Album Art Exchange but that doesn't seem to work for me now, not sure if the site has been taken down or my continual use has blocked my IP address, haha.

Any other questions, give me shout and I'll do my best to answer them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back