Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Oct 11, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #1,891 of 2,532
Does anyone know if poweramp or neutron players bypass androids dac sampling on xdp300? Definitely not a fan of the stock music app UI. Sounds decent. I’m just used to the more user friendly poweramp.

I logged both players audio path and found that poweramp and netron does use android re-sampling. Only UAPP bypass the android SOC and uses the dedicated dac's like the default music player.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,892 of 2,532
My phone only has 32gb total storage, its not expandable, and after some pictures stored on it, there wouldnt be much room for FLAC files. Also, I've read several comments about the Samsung S and Note series (which I have) not being capable of good sound anyway.

JC

If you're still talking bluetooth strictly, that is really independent of the Samsung's "sound". The phone is essentially just a storage device and it'll transmit the music data to your headphones or bluetooth receiver which is what converts it to analog to your headphones. The only thing that really matters is which bluetooth codec the phone is capable of. Most Android Oreo and newer phones now have support for Apt-X and LDAC built-in so those are already very good to great transmission protocols. You would just need a receiver or bluetooth headphone capable of the higher quality bluetooth streaming.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #1,893 of 2,532
Not sure if this has been posted but I was successfully able to root this device using KingRoot. But since I dislike how much "stuff" kingroot places on your device, I used it and then swapped it out with standard Superuser SU and everything seems to work fine now. I was able to install Xposed on this with amplify and greenify to help control battery issues. We'll see how well that works.

I also made a quick adjustment to the Build.prop file by removing the hash from:

audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable = true

I believe this forces the Android OS to use the DAC for all music files now.

Unfortunately the bootloader is locked and I can't access it to do fastboot commands, so I'm a little nervous playing around with System Root and having no way of restoring my system properly. At least i dont think I can. I dont know if Pioneer or Onkyo have ever released a system image of these DAPs

Oct 17, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #1,894 of 2,532
Hi guys - recently purchased an XDP-300-R and am relatively happy with it. One issue I have though is that there seems to be an issue with my screen, in that it seems to be slightly loose. The bottom left corner protrutes from the chassis slightly - I imagine there is some sort of adhesive that keeps it in place that doesn’t work, for whatever reason?

Is there any quick fix for this?

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #1,895 of 2,532
After rooting, installed xposed, and amplify, and modifying a bunch of wakelocks, i am now able to get over 14 hours of playback on balanced output! This is so much better than what I was previously getting.

I'm actually at 12 hours exactly right now, with 4 hours of battery left according to android.

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #1,897 of 2,532
After rooting, installed xposed, and amplify, and modifying a bunch of wakelocks, i am now able to get over 14 hours of playback on balanced output! This is so much better than what I was previously getting.

I'm actually at 12 hours exactly right now, with 4 hours of battery left according to android.

Interesting, so what do xposed, amplify and the wavelocks do to give this bonus (roughly)?

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #1,898 of 2,532
Interesting, so what do xposed, amplify and the wavelocks do to give this bonus (roughly)?

Hello - First off the disclaimer still stands. I don't know if Pioneer and Onkyo have ever released the system images for this player, so doing this is totally at your own risk.

But Xposed Framework allows you to enable and disable mods to the Android system very easily without changing things yourself manually. It is slightly outdated nowadays since Magisk took over the android rooting scene. But there are still apps like Amplify which use Xposed.

What Amplify does is keeps track of everything that is keeping Android awake and draining your battery. Wakelocks and Alarms will periodically wake your device or use more energy than you'd think. Things like periodic checks to the internet or just randomly checking for updates can kill your battery. Many of these things have been resolved in the latest Android devices but since this DAP uses an older Android 5.1 system, many of those are not implemented. So, with Amplify, you can see what is keeping your device awake. It'll also let you know if something is risky to turn off or not.

But when you think you want to disable or limit something, you can set a time limit on it so it can't check multiple times within a certain time period. This helps you determine if it is important or not, so you can always disable or make the time limit longer later. Eventually, you can disable enough non-critical wakelocks, alarms, etc that your phone will not be constantly active and draining battery.

There are a few unknown wakelocks I had disabled that I ended up having to re-enable because they caused issues with Play Store log-in, but I've been successful limiting or disabling many of these wakelocks and now my battery lasts 15-17 hours using balanced music - I can easily last a full day at work. :)

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #1,899 of 2,532
Hello - First off the disclaimer still stands. I don't know if Pioneer and Onkyo have ever released the system images for this player, so doing this is totally at your own risk.

But Xposed Framework allows you to enable and disable mods to the Android system very easily without changing things yourself manually. It is slightly outdated nowadays since Magisk took over the android rooting scene. But there are still apps like Amplify which use Xposed.

What Amplify does is keeps track of everything that is keeping Android awake and draining your battery. Wakelocks and Alarms will periodically wake your device or use more energy than you'd think. Things like periodic checks to the internet or just randomly checking for updates can kill your battery. Many of these things have been resolved in the latest Android devices but since this DAP uses an older Android 5.1 system, many of those are not implemented. So, with Amplify, you can see what is keeping your device awake. It'll also let you know if something is risky to turn off or not.

But when you think you want to disable or limit something, you can set a time limit on it so it can't check multiple times within a certain time period. This helps you determine if it is important or not, so you can always disable or make the time limit longer later. Eventually, you can disable enough non-critical wakelocks, alarms, etc that your phone will not be constantly active and draining battery.

There are a few unknown wakelocks I had disabled that I ended up having to re-enable because they caused issues with Play Store log-in, but I've been successful limiting or disabling many of these wakelocks and now my battery lasts 15-17 hours using balanced music - I can easily last a full day at work. :)
Thanks for that Antdroid. Does this kind of activity still occur with wifi off (I guess so because my battery life is nowhere near yours!)?

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #1,900 of 2,532
Thanks for that Antdroid. Does this kind of activity still occur with wifi off (I guess so because my battery life is nowhere near yours!)?

I leave wifi off unless I use spotify. So it varies. But yea, internet triggers quite a bit of these wakelocks. So does Location Services/GPS. I completely turn those off. Not needed for music playback. The problem with the older android is, even if Wifi and GPS is off, the system or apps still want to do whatever they normally do that requires Wifi and GPS so they ping the system constantly to check if there's internet or GPS available to do whatever they do (scary!). So by disabling or limiting their ability to do that, you can take back a lot of that battery use.

Oct 28, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #1,901 of 2,532
Just got a used one and pretty happy with the floor noise. Almost nonexistent with my most sensitive IEM (Campfire Audio Orion).

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #1,903 of 2,532
Oct 29, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #1,904 of 2,532
Does anyone know how to disable Google Services? Or is it mandatory to have it running?

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #1,905 of 2,532
Does anyone know how to disable Google Services? Or is it mandatory to have it running?

Go to Settings, Apps, then scroll to the right and and under ALL, you should find Google Play Services to disable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back