Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Oct 4, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #1,876 of 2,532
Quoted to wrong post, how did that happen, Forum bug maybe.

Time to upgrade your profile picture then. :) (BTW I still have the Dunu DN2000j, seen in my profile picture but don't use it much lately, so perhaps I should update mine too.)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,879 of 2,532
I dont know of if i can post a link here. I found the player for 307 euro do you think it is a good price?
If i buy it i will use it with my hd600 . My previous dap was nationite sflo2 that recently died. I now use mainly my meizu mx4 pro with fiio a5 for listening to music with my senn hd600 . will this player be an improvement? Have someone compared it with lgv30+?

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #1,880 of 2,532
I dont know of if i can post a link here. I found the player for 307 euro do you think it is a good price?
If i buy it i will use it with my hd600 . My previous dap was nationite sflo2 that recently died. I now use mainly my meizu mx4 pro with fiio a5 for listening to music with my senn hd600 . will this player be an improvement? Have someone compared it with lgv30+?
307 is a great price. Compared to the V30, the 300R sounds a bit warmer, but also more spacious. Should be an overall improvement.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #1,885 of 2,532
Hiya,

This is a tough one as everyone is different and likes different sound signatures and so on.

I have just purchased a pair of the AKG N40's from Richer Sounds. I was originally looking at the N30's but the price for the N40's were good so I went for it. $180 for a second hand pair is a good price.

I can thoroughly recommend them, very good IEM's. I've been busy at work so haven't managed to use them a great deal, however I've tried the bass filters and with rock and blues they produce a great sound (for me).

Not sure what it is but the 300R seems to produce a sound that's almost clinical. In other words, huge amounts of detail but for me can lean towards the high end of the sound signature. The N40's seem to balance this out.

I tried a set of Brainwavz B400's. Great detail and with classical they sounded superb but again very little in the way of bass or sub bass, which for me became tiring. The hybrid design of the N40's seems to get round this. Decided to sell the B400's on here, need to put the listing together.

Also if it helps I purchased set of the AKG Y50 Bluetooth headphones as a wireless option, and those are a great buy as well. Very happy.

My only extra for the N40's was the balanced cable direct from Japan, it's only available there. Costs an arm and a leg but it was worth it for me.

This is the standard 3.5mm version, I had to ask for the 2.5mm balanced version (seperate link below), no difference in price when I ordered it but I see the price has shot up a bit now (I paid £95 for mine). I know that's a lot but well I love my music so I went for it. You also know that at least it will be a perfect fit, etc. Build quality and detail is lovely, machined plugs, etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-AKG-Earphone-Cable-3-5mm-For-N40-N30-AC-5M-MMCX-1-2M-With-Tracking-Japan/163154692148?epid=18009951848&hash=item25fcc70834:g:wPYAAOSwbwJaElVb&_sacat=0&_nkw=akg+N40+cable&_from=R40&rt=nc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKG-AC-2-5M4-MMCX-1-2M-CN120-2-5-Dark-Gray-AIRMAIL-with-TRACKING/112530014435?epid=2184797000&hash=item1a334fc0e3:g:6wIAAOSwaYpZlp3L&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sacat=0&_nkw=akg+n40+2.5mm&_from=R40&rt=nc

I am about to purchase a 300R and was planning to pair it with the AKG Y50 Bluetooth headphones and using the system for the five days a week I walk for an hour in the pool. However, I jusr read a review of the Y50's that was extremely positive, but said that they found that they worked at a maximum of 5 meters. Bluetooth is rated to work, at a minimum of about three times that distance, which is what I would need. Have you had any better luck with yours? Thanks.

JC

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #1,886 of 2,532
I find that the Bluetooth radio in the player is poor. It drops my headphone connection when the player is in my front pants pocket outdoors. Range is slightly better indoors, presumably thanks to reflections off the structure. You may be able to find a location for the player that gets you coverage while walking around the pool, but I'd test the headphones first with something like a mobile phone that is more generous with the power drain it's programmed to devote to BT radio--if you have any problems with a phone, I'd expect it to be worse with this player.

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #1,889 of 2,532
I am about to purchase a 300R and was planning to pair it with the AKG Y50 Bluetooth headphones and using the system for the five days a week I walk for an hour in the pool. However, I jusr read a review of the Y50's that was extremely positive, but said that they found that they worked at a maximum of 5 meters. Bluetooth is rated to work, at a minimum of about three times that distance, which is what I would need. Have you had any better luck with yours? Thanks.

JC

Hiya,

Yes I would kind of say that's about right. When I leave the player by my laptop I can walk across the room listening to the music, so about four metres I guess. Probably much longer if you were in an open office. I've had zero issues with the player in my pocket, sitting in the bag whilst on the bus or underground, etc.

However it obviously won't work very well with walls, if I walk into the next room that drops to about two to three. My house does have solid stone walls though. I have trouble with wifi in my house for example.

Which is fine for me in all honesty.

Bluetooth is very fickle, there are so many different types, codecs, versions, etc. So I always take some online views with a pinch of salt. What works well for one person, may not work well for others. I've never had any major issues personally though. There is also the huge issue of power. You can only supply a tiny transmitter with so much juice without rapidly draining the battery. So you can have 3 metres of coverage for ten hours or 10 metres of coverage for one hour (I'm joking but you see my point). I've used a mains powered amplifier and the range on that was very good, because it's got a huge Bluetooth antenna in it, and powered by 240v mains, no comparison to a small handheld music player with milliamps running through it.

For example I have a pair or wireless Bluetooth in-ear phones that I use with my running watch (they cost me £95 so a good make). The antenna in the in-ears must be tiny (built into the ear-bud). If I wear them the right way around (with the receiver on the right ear), as I run and the battery runs low, the music starts to cut out when my arm with the watch on moves away from me. It's only for maybe half a second but it took me a while to realise what was happening, so on half marathon events I just wear them the wrong way round, no issues then! :)

Downsides to Bluetooth connection with AKG's? Well there is a very small amount of background noise. On the AKG's it's very (very) low. You only notice it when the music is silent or not playing (if you were wearing them outside it's not an issue). Obviously there is a noticeable difference in musical range and quality when you use the wired over wireless. Especially with Hi-Res.

For the price though I can't complain at all, they are there as a wireless alternative to my lovely N40's and I'm very happy with them.

In my experience I've never used a Bluetooth headset that works over the five to six metre range, and that's with iPhones, Android, PC's and different makes of headset. I think the most I've managed was when I was outside (so I had clear view of the player) was about six or seven.

Around a pool is slightly different, you'll have nothing in the way to disturb the signal. If I think my local pool would allow me to I'd take the player in there and test it for you! lol :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back