Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Apr 12, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #1,638 of 2,532
Hi! How much battery life are you normally getting when using the 300r?

Unfortunately it's a difficult question to answer accurately. It all depends on how you use the player.

Normal FLAC usage through the 3.5mm socket (balanced switched off or not used) about 10-11 hours usage for me.
FLAC through balanced (so using more power) about 7 hours.
HD music through the balanced connection. About 6 hours, maybe less.

I'm basing this on the number of albums I'm getting through, I don't literary time it I'm afraid.

This is with all the extras switched off, so no wifi, Bluetooth, etc.

On standby, when I forgot to switch it off. It only lost 15% over six days so that was quite good, again with wifi switched off, etc.

If you are streaming, that's a different matter. I don't use music streaming services but on here most people seem to get 3 hours or far less.

As I mention I don't use streaming services because I mainly use the player walking to work, on the plane to the UK or at the office, and as wifi is not available I just don't use it.

I bought the 300R as a replacement for an iPod Classic so I use it purely as a music player. Streaming is nice but I can't see me using it that much.

Yes it does take a little getting used to, coming from an iPod Classic where you can listen to music for days on end without battery trouble but there you go.

Hope that helps anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,639 of 2,532
Hi! How much battery life are you normally getting when using the 300r?

Search this thread for zombicube. I posted results of a few battery-drain tests earlier this year. In my normal usage (flacs and podcasts on unbalanced headphones, screen almost always off), I measured drain of about 6% per hour.

More recently, I have been running the AccuBattery Pro app, and it tells me my overall average drain is 2% per hour (listening, sleeping, and deep sleep). Not sure I believe that, but there you go.

Anyway, my lifestyle is such that I charge the thing every few days, and never worry that I'll be "stuck" with no music when the urge to listen strikes.

Apr 12, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #1,640 of 2,532
Unfortunately it's a difficult question to answer accurately. It all depends on how you use the player.

Normal FLAC usage through the 3.5mm socket (balanced switched off or not used) about 10-11 hours usage for me.
Hope that helps anyway.

Wow.. I don't have any canz that use balanced anyway, didn't know I could turn that off.. Thanks for the tip, I am sure that will save a bit of battery!

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,641 of 2,532
Wow.. I don't have any canz that use balanced anyway, didn't know I could turn that off.. Thanks for the tip, I am sure that will save a bit of battery!

The option is in the main option drop down bar (the one with wifi, etc.) rather than in the music app.

You'll see the option to select balanced and OCG. These can be forcibly switched off.

Admittedly when they are switched on I think they should power on automatically when they detect a connection, however I have noticed an improvement when switching them off completely.

If I'm using the Grado's I turn this option off (like your usage it has a standard 3.5mm connection), It seems to make battery usage better for me.

I then get around 10 hours like I mention above.

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,642 of 2,532
So, I don't get OCG. According to the instructions I read, it's to get balanced sound without having to use balanced cable or connectors. Not sure it makes a whole lot of difference (haven't spent much time A-B'ing it).
Any thoughts?

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #1,643 of 2,532
Yep. It is a known question that there is static noise on some third party apps, especially streaming apps.
Only solution: Try lower gain

Yeah very strange I had never noticed it before, lowering gain last night to Low 1 worked. Very strange. This was on my Lyra II, will have to test with my N40 & CH9T. I've used all 3 streaming and have never heard it.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #1,644 of 2,532
So, I don't get OCG. According to the instructions I read, it's to get balanced sound without having to use balanced cable or connectors. Not sure it makes a whole lot of difference (haven't spent much time A-B'ing it).
Any thoughts?

From what I believe ACG is an enhancement using balanced connected headphones only. It makes no difference via the standard 3.5mm connection.

There are two options, standard balanced and then OCG which although sounds better (via the 2.5mm socket remember) I believe it ramps up the power to get a better, cleaner signal, so you drain the battery faster.

I will admit though the manual does describe this function in pure geek. haha.

There is a subtle difference via a balanced set of connections, however whether it's worth the extra battery drain I'm not sure. At home, in the quiet sure; but on a bus or outside maybe not so much.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #1,645 of 2,532
Guys, its ACG and It's supposed to enhance Bal out even more though I don't really hear a difference, I still use it.

I think I even noticed that Bal out is louder and ACG is more like SE out level

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #1,646 of 2,532
I think this can be classified as a concealed weapon because I could bludgeon the f@#$ out of someone with this. It is seriously solid.

Apr 13, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #1,647 of 2,532
Guys, its ACG and It's supposed to enhance Bal out even more though I don't really hear a difference, I still use it.

I think I even noticed that Bal out is louder and ACG is more like SE out level

Corrected, that's what happens when don't feel like walking to the other room to check it's the right acronym! lol.

Yes I agree though, there is a very subtle difference. I've only used IEM's via balanced, there could be a more noticeable difference with a high dynamic range set of headphones for example.

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,648 of 2,532
Also, I did confirm this morning that when switching ACG to Balanced the volume is increased, seems to be by about 5 steps, using my ear-o-meter lol.

It's also still odd to me that I'm barely noticing the static from Spotify when using Normal and High Gain

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #1,649 of 2,532
Also, I did confirm this morning that when switching ACG to Balanced the volume is increased, seems to be by about 5 steps, using my ear-o-meter lol.

It's also still odd to me that I'm barely noticing the static from Spotify when using Normal and High Gain
Have you turn on the auto volume function? It's under the ACG/BAL option page.
It shall neutralize the difference in volume between ACG and BAL.

ACG and BAL are different modes. There is no better one, just preference and headphone matching.

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #1,650 of 2,532
Have you turn on the auto volume function? It's under the ACG/BAL option page.
It shall neutralize the difference in volume between ACG and BAL.

ACG and BAL are different modes. There is no better one, just preference and headphone matching.

I'll test out the Auto Vol.

Official explanation of the two Balanced Drives:
"Balanced output via the 2.5mm 4-pole jack supports the more standard balanced (BTL) drive as well as the more esoteric Active Control Ground (ACG) drive. ACG drive is a different form of balanced drive where the amp’s cold side actively drives to create an ideally stable GND. Power gains and increased sound separation increase stability for a clean signal and greater sound clarity, especially compared to unbalanced drive."

So both are Balanced and I don't think it's really about headphone pairing. Not using Auto Volume and using Bal instead of ACG so increased vol can net better results for hard to drive headphones like my Amiron, will test out later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back