Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #1,621 of 2,532
Install USB Audio Player Pro and uninstall pretty much all apps you won't use as to save battery life. Disable all stock apps that you can't uninstall that you won't need.

I don't have an amp or other dac, is UAPP still worth using? I will be using this mostly via bmw aux port and some Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 250 ohm cans.

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #1,622 of 2,532
I don't have an amp or other dac, is UAPP still worth using? I will be using this mostly via bmw aux port and some Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 250 ohm cans.
Yes, don't actually need an external DAC to use it. On that note, even on high gain this thing is not that powerful, I had to get a balanced cable for my Amiron Home to use with the player. They could get loud enough but lacked any kind of bass or Dynamics in Single Ended.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #1,623 of 2,532
I'm about to start reading all 108 pages of this thread, but I have to ask:

Is the XDP-300R worth it? I'm coming from a FiiO X5 3rd Gen.

It's currently selling on e-earphone for 40,000 yen (about $380 USD). Even after using a forwarding service and shipping to where I am, it'd probably end up costing just $450 USD. I'd like to know before I take the plunge.

edit: never mind, looks like it's been on sale for about $300 quite often. I'll just look around for that
Well they are just DAPs of similar level, so don't expect a big upgrade.
X5iii is more tuned to the 'V shape', has slightly warmer sound and with some brightening on the vocals.
300R is less exciting, more original and give better details. I other words, 300R is a more revealing DAP.

Also, 300R provides less output power, similar to other Japanese DAPs.

On system wise, Pioneer did fewer modifications on the Android system. It didn't provide a channel for third party app to use all of its audio enhancement function. But 300R has a significantly better CPU (snapdragon S801) compare with X5iii, providing much smoothing user interface (apps and system)

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #1,624 of 2,532
Yes, don't actually need an external DAC to use it. On that note, even on high gain this thing is not that powerful, I had to get a balanced cable for my Amiron Home to use with the player. They could get loud enough but lacked any kind of bass or Dynamics in Single Ended.
Would you describe the sound quality enhancement of UAPP over the stick music app?
The "bit pefeper" theory isn't convincing me. (I mean, there is no clue the stock app isn't bit perfect)

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #1,625 of 2,532
I'm about to start reading all 108 pages of this thread, but I have to ask:

Is the XDP-300R worth it? I'm coming from a FiiO X5 3rd Gen.

I'll vote yes for that. I had a FiiO X5 3rd Gen for about 6 - 8 weeks, stepping up from a 2nd Gen. I found the sound on the 3rd Gen MUCH improved over the 2nd Gen, but it was so buggy that it became unusable. Apart from being apparently unable to display the album artwork for many of the albums and splitting up double CDs I'd re-tagged to run as one, at one point I had to re-boot it four times in half an hour. On paper, it was great, but it became such a chore I eventually returned it. I'd been told that the fault lay in my tagging/ripping skills and software, but the 300R handles all the files without a quibble, and everything is pretty much exactly where it should be. And the sound is really, really great. If you can get it for the price you ciited, leap at it. I spent a lot more here in the UK, but still think it was worth it.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,626 of 2,532
How does this compare to AK 70 gen 1 ? I love the sound of ak70. Will this be an upgrade. I don't care about features as all my music is on a SD card. Just pure sound term comparisons, anyone ? Also, the headphone jack issue on the onkyo is present in this one? I will be using only single ended headphones of 32 ohms.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #1,627 of 2,532
Would you describe the sound quality enhancement of UAPP over the stick music app?
The "bit pefeper" theory isn't convincing me. (I mean, there is no clue the stock app isn't bit perfect)
I don't think there actually is any sound ehancment, oddly enough everything seems a little more clear sounding overall but pretty sure its just my brain so I'm not believing it. What I do enjoy is the UI, you can click on the album cover to play/pause and you can fully exit the app by hitting the back button (I'm picky about those things, I hate leaving stuff running in the background esp on a player with a mediocre battery life)

One thing I did though, I unlocked developer options, nothing really looks to enhance the player much but I believe I did turn off animations, just to see if it helps the battery a bit. Only been about a week and when I listen I'm not using the player so doubt it will help but maybe others who have more knowledge about the options will find something of use to us.

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #1,628 of 2,532
Initial notes:
The interface is much snappier than my old Fiio X5 3rd gen, the device is easier to mount than the Fiio even in Linux. I can't go into detail as far as differences in audio as I am not an audiophile. As Lurk650 said it didn't drive my Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium cans until I was at around 90+ volume on low gain. I grabbed some 24bit flacs from 7digital and I am melting into my chair. I disabled a bunch of crap useless google apps and other small things to maximize battery. If it lasts as long as my old Fiio then I'm happy. I also like the fact that to add a micro sd card doesn't require a tool.. goddamn Fiio. I like the button placements and its well visible in direct sunlight. I bought a Sennheiser 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm cable but i haven't tested it out yet. Overall I am definitely pleased, more updates to come.

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #1,629 of 2,532
I still have and use the "ancient" 100R at the office. Based on form factor there's no worry someone is going to walk off with it :laughing:

I'm now deciding between the 300R (because it has balanced out) or its big cousin the Onkyo DP-X1a to add to my collection. Or both. Anyone have the previous 100R and notice major improvements?

I'm going to read thru this thread now....

Apr 11, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #1,630 of 2,532
I've noticed that when not in use it doesn't drain the battery at all but when listening to 24bit music, there is a serious drain and it gets a bit warm.

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #1,631 of 2,532
Initial notes:
. I bought a Sennheiser 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm cable but i haven't tested it out yet..
Doesn't it damage the amp as you are essentially shorting the L- and R- of two different op amps? also, the seperation which 2.5mm provides must be due to seperate grounds. On adding such a cable, wont it screw up the purpose ?

By the way, anyone compared the sound of this with the AK70?

Apr 11, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #1,632 of 2,532
Initial notes:
The interface is much snappier than my old Fiio X5 3rd gen, the device is easier to mount than the Fiio even in Linux. I can't go into detail as far as differences in audio as I am not an audiophile. As Lurk650 said it didn't drive my Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium cans until I was at around 90+ volume on low gain. I grabbed some 24bit flacs from 7digital and I am melting into my chair. I disabled a bunch of crap useless google apps and other small things to maximize battery. If it lasts as long as my old Fiio then I'm happy. I also like the fact that to add a micro sd card doesn't require a tool.. goddamn Fiio. I like the button placements and its well visible in direct sunlight. I bought a Sennheiser 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm cable but i haven't tested it out yet. Overall I am definitely pleased, more updates to come.

As Dexter said, you can not go from SE to Balanced via adapter, it does nothing and can mess up the gear. You need an aftermarket cable (not sure if 880 is detachable).

In SE I needed well over 100 in High Gain to drive the Amiron and while it got loud enough there were no dynamics and bass was way too polite. Balanced essentially doubles the power from 75mW to 150mW and (if you believe in it) helps with separation.

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #1,633 of 2,532
I don't know much about Android because I mostly live in the iOS ecosystem. What are the characters that the android OS doesn't recognize? My flac rip of the "Black Panther" soundtrack CD didn't show up in the player until I deleted a colon ( : ) in the folder name on my micro-SD card.

What other characters are forbidden?

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #1,634 of 2,532
I have no idea why but I'm hearing static/hissing when listening to Spotify now, only when music playing. Uapp is dead silent. Using my Lyra 2 balanced.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #1,635 of 2,532
Really enjoying the player, haven't used it too much as I've been busy re-ripping all my collection to FLAC. With 320 AAC as a secondary file type for iTunes/iPhone, etc.

I'm just curious about one thing that maybe some other users can help me with. My only gripe is sometimes the lack of bass in the sound.

Certainly with hi-res music the sound is detailed, crisp, lots of energy but I can't seem to get to the point whereby there's enough bass in the sound to "fill" the experience. If that makes sense. Something I've noticed with SACD's on my system at home.
Oddly the music in FLAC sounds fuller, more bass is present and the sound is less clinical. Which in some ways I prefer.

I listen to a lot of rock, blues, and when you have a lot of electric guitar you need some bass to balance the sound otherwise I feel the music can become fatiguing to listen to.

I used the bass boost (on it's lightest setting) this morning as an experiment and also made a few custom EQ's. I'm just still playing around really.

Two questions really, what custom settings are you favouring on things like filter, upscaling, etc. and secondly are there any headphones or IEM's that you've found work really well with this player.

I currently own Grado 325i, Soundmagic E10C (huge sound on these little things), and Brainwavz B400 in balanced mode (lovely detailed sound but as mentioned above, very little bass in the sound which depending on the music can make them tiring to listen through).

I was looking at some Sennheiser Momentums but I played the DAP through a demo pair in a local shop and the lower end of the soundstage didn't sound that great. I'm wondering though if they've been damaged by some kids cranking them up too far! lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a basshead, I think I'm just trying to get a slightly less clinical sound out of this piece of kit.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy so far.

EDIT: Sorry I should add I'm going to try the B400's with the comply eartips to see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back