Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jan 29, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #1,396 of 2,532
Well, battery life is an issue when it comes to DAPs like the ones we are talking about here.

I personally think that ca. 15h of playback, let it even be 11-12 with WiFi on, is still pretty decent.

You just need to keep in mind to charge it up a bit from time to time, or have it USB connected to your workstation (at your work for example).

If I remember correctly, Sony Walkman's always stood out when it comes to battery life, especially the NW-ZX2.

I think it is today a standard compromise, to have a device with good components or with a good battery life.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #1,397 of 2,532
Well the only thing I noticed was when I pushed slightly more on the earphones the sound generally improved so I'm probably going to try a set of comply tips to see if a better seal makes a difference..

the first time i inserted headphone plugs into the jacks on the 300r was that i thought i was going to cave the top in i had to put so much pressure to get them to seat. and yes, if you only think you have the plug engaged, the sound will be very bad.

/guy

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #1,398 of 2,532
Well, battery life is an issue when it comes to DAPs like the ones we are talking about here.

I personally think that ca. 15h of playback, let it even be 11-12 with WiFi on, is still pretty decent.

You just need to keep in mind to charge it up a bit from time to time, or have it USB connected to your workstation (at your work for example).

If I remember correctly, Sony Walkman's always stood out when it comes to battery life, especially the NW-ZX2.

I think it is today a standard compromise, to have a device with good components or with a good battery life.

surely you're not talking about the 300r when you cite 15h playback, right? most of the people i've heard from are barely getting 3h and that's only with literally everything else off but the sound. i've given up doing anything at all with android as i get only 1-2h if i'm doing anything other than using the music player in the /standalone/ mode.

at any rate, be glad to eat my words if someone would tell me how to get 5h battery life, let alone 15h. :)

/guy

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #1,399 of 2,532
Damn, I looked at it through 100R's perspective, but have also give credit to Onkyo DP-X1 - battery life is really decent and I would say that if it does not squeeze out 15h, it sure provides around 10-12h of playback, but I am speaking here of pretty much only listening to music with screen off.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,400 of 2,532
i admit i haven't done a rundown test and am basing this solely on a few battery diagnostic apps and by tracking how much it discharges under load and when in standby/idle mode. with the screen on at a lower brightness and doing nothing else, it draws up to 400mah. the spec sheet says that the battery is 1630mah. the math is that is h4 operation, at least with the screen on.

pioneer product page: Battery Size: 1,630 mAh / 3.8 V

from a comprehensive review: Playback time About 16 hours (at 96 kHz / 24 bit FLAC unbalance playback)

to get 16h you're going to have to draw less than 100mah, but with the screen off, i can't see the meter on the battery app. (!) i admit it's possible the current draw might drop 300mah down to 100mah without the screen on though.

i'll just have to bite the bullet and run the rundown test.

/guy

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #1,402 of 2,532
well, spent 45 years in electronics of one sort or another and i do love my data. been a ham radio operator (kg5vt) for 55 years.

sorry ... :)

/guy

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #1,403 of 2,532
i just realized what i need to do. i need to reinstall the battery app 'ampere' which i'm pretty sure has a history graph of current over time. i need to start it running in the background and then play music for at least 30-60m and then go back and see how much current it drew allowing for some of that being the app itself.

of course, i won't be able to measure it in that pioneer /standalone/ mode which is supposed to shut down everything on the system except the music player as it would shut down my battery app.

i'll post the results when i have them.

/guy

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #1,404 of 2,532
i just realized what i need to do. i need to reinstall the battery app 'ampere' which i'm pretty sure has a history graph of current over time. i need to start it running in the background and then play music for at least 30-60m and then go back and see how much current it drew allowing for some of that being the app itself.

of course, i won't be able to measure it in that pioneer /standalone/ mode which is supposed to shut down everything on the system except the music player as it would shut down my battery app.

i'll post the results when i have them.

/guy
Running same test. Playing flac off the sd card using stock music app with ampere running and the screen off. Turn screen on every half hour to check ampere and battery percent. After half hour, battery drops from 75 to 71%. When screen is on, Ampere says drain is -210 mA. Can't seen drain number with screen off. Can't figure out how to do that with free Ampere. Will update later. Oh… Wifi is on, connected to my router, with only Podcast Addict as the other thing running (that I know of… I'm not good at Android, so don't know if I've killed all unnecessary processes. Westone W30 at normal listening volume, not balanced.)

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #1,405 of 2,532
i was mistaken in that i can't find a history graph in ampere. but i think there is one in the /settings/battery/ section of the preferences.

/guy

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #1,406 of 2,532
i was mistaken in that i can't find a history graph in ampere. but i think there is one in the /settings/battery/ section of the preferences.

/guy
Not a big deal. There's a graph in the stock battery app, but I can't figure out how to use it in a meaningful manner--can't zoom in or see axis labels. But a few rounds of half-hour checks should give me a decent trend.

(Materials engineer, also a ham AC2VO.)

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #1,407 of 2,532
Not a big deal. There's a graph in the stock battery app, but I can't figure out how to use it in a meaningful manner--can't zoom in or see axis labels. But a few rounds of half-hour checks should give me a decent trend.

(Materials engineer, also a ham AC2VO.)

good deal! that's the best way, i just can never carve out the hour or two to focus on doing it. 73 /guy

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #1,408 of 2,532
btw, that 400ma with display on i cited above was _before_ i went in and ruthlessly uninstalled apps--especially non-essential ones that ran daemons in the background.

so here's you a data point to add. with airplane mode on, display on, player playing a flac from sd1, and ampere running, i'm getting current draw between 300-400mah in real time with the average somewhere between about 350-370mah. that would mean about 4-5 hours of playtime if you wanted to read lyrics or play with the equalizer and see the display while listening.

and i'd take 5 hours as a good result as that's about the minimum i think useful. hopefully your results with the display off will show half that current draw or less because we all know the display is usually the highest current draw on any such device.

also, you didn't mention it, but pioneer furnishes a widget called /standalone/ which the manual says will not allow any background activity and turns off the display. that mode should theoretically be the least battery draining mode of all.

/guy

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #1,409 of 2,532
Completely agree on those points but I am disturbed about not getting the best I can out of it. I love your idea of the Z3 as transport but with USBAPP don't you get bit perfect anyway with pretty much any android source into something like the dragonfly etc?
Yes you do get bitperfect on UAPP with any Android, but Tidal is only streaming through UAPP. Z3, Android 4.4.4 I have a 256gb microsd loaded with Today offline with bitperfect playback to my Dragonfly Red. This is the PRIMARY reason I haven't picked up a DAP. DFR to JDS Labs C5 is my on the go. They are bonded together to the z3 as in my profile photo. I like dark but detailed sig, so when I can sit, I plug the DFR into my Cayin C5. A little darker than the JDS Labs, but wider soundstage. I'm still looking to possibly get another DAC/AMP for portable/stationary use. So a black label instead of a DAP. Only device catching my eye is the Hiby R6. The built in eq and filters with all apps is a plus, but will definitely be waiting for full release. Really happy with my upgradeable setup right now. As I stated, a wonderful transport for $150. And on top of that, it also has APT-X so it's great to take out the case and use as a lightweight audio player for exercise. Can't beat that right now.

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #1,410 of 2,532
Unless it's an option on the listing but that's not a balanced cable?

It's a 3.5mm standard plug.

1. 8 Core handmade cable , middle Resolution high treble, high quality sound.
2. Single Crystal Plated Silver and Copper Upgrade Cable prevents original sound from distortion,ensure the pure sound.
3. Gold plated 3.5mm plug, L bending type.
4. Length:120 cm
5.With a high quality Wooden case.

Only mentioning it in case our friend on here orders one by accident. This cable will not allow connection to the balanced socket (2.5mm in size)

Here's the standard Brainwavz version for comparison:

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...balanced-cable-with-mmcx-connector-2-5mm-jack

It is a MMCX connector too so compatible with the Pioneers (which I believe have the same connection)

EDIT: Looks like this one is MMCX and has a 2.5mm balanced connector.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/***...40db-47e8-bd81-ff78bf3098a8&priceBeautifyAB=3

Thanks for bringing that up. I double checked and triple checked. I BOUGHT THE WRONG ONE!!! :sob: Looks like Im going to have a 3.5mm as well. I will have a look at the one on your link and probably buy that. Will be editing my post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back