Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Nov 14, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #1,081 of 2,532
And, is it true that balanced only works with the included music app (not, say, with Neutron or another app from the store)?

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #1,083 of 2,532
And for downloaded music apps like Neutron? (I had read somewhere it only worked with the built in music player app, that's why I'm asking. That could have been incorrect, though...)

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #1,084 of 2,532
And for downloaded music apps like Neutron? (I had read somewhere it only worked with the built in music player app, that's why I'm asking. That could have been incorrect, though...)
My understanding is that it's the dual dac configuration that only works in balanced mode when using the built-in app. Balanced works for all apps, but only uses a single dac. Might be wrong too.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,085 of 2,532
so, it has 2 amps? That would be what "balanced" would mean if the DACs aren't balanced for other music apps. No?

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #1,088 of 2,532
so, it has 2 amps? That would be what "balanced" would mean if the DACs aren't balanced for other music apps. No?

Yes, one DAC+AMP combo for every channel of the balanced out. Haven't tried with downloaded music players. Tbh, I don't see much sense in using 3rd party music apps. The Pioneer music player works perfectly fine and does everything I need. I've used Poweramp in the past, but the Pioneer app is way superior.

Just ordered this and it will arrive 2-3 days.

Can someone enlighten me what's the difference of standard balanced and ACG as I will use immediately the 2.5mm socket.

Thanks.

ACG (active ground control) is much more quiet than standard balanced mode. It also drains more battery. The goal of active ground control is a cleaner output with better separation. I'm using it (because why not), but to be really honest... I can't hear much of a difference, if any.

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #1,089 of 2,532
I like Neutron, I think it sounds better (but tbh haven't done a lot of A/B comparison). Also like its UI, had trouble finding random play in the built in app.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #1,091 of 2,532
This thing has been plugged in for an hour, all its doing is showing the charging image then turns off and goes to a flashing battery icon, does this in a constant cycle. Guess thats what I get for buying used from B&H

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #1,092 of 2,532
ACG (active ground control) is much more quiet than standard balanced mode. It also drains more battery. The goal of active ground control is a cleaner output with better separation. I'm using it (because why not), but to be really honest... I can't hear much of a difference, if any.

That was a great help. I suppose switching into ACG is in the settings? And how long is the play time using ACG?

Can't wait mine to arrive.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #1,095 of 2,532
Check your charger and cable first.
Two different cables on two different chargers with are both good. The device is defective, probably why it was used and B&H didn't bother to check. Either way, I found a Silver version new for $100 less on Amazon. Will be here tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back