Pioneer SE-CLX7 First Impressions & Small Review.
Jan 22, 2011 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

yliu

500+ Head-Fier
I saw these for 60 dollars, so decided to pick these up and give it a try.

Packaging (9/10): The box it comes in looks very cool, shows the IEMs and all the eartips with it. Easy to open.

Build Quality (5/10): Cable is very thin, as thin as the CX300s cable, and the splitting point is also very basic. The IEM housing feels strong, but with a weak cable it's doesn't seem to last long.

Accessories (9/10): S,M,L,XL eartips, and earholders, soft carrying pouch, extension cable. Eartips are soft and comfortable, earholders offer a tight fit.

Comfort (9.5/10): The supplied eartips, and "ear holders" are made out of soft silicone or rubber. If you get the proper combination, the fit is very snug and secure, and very comfortable. Isolation is better than the CX300 or IE8, but not as good as the Etymotic hf5. Microphonics are minimal. It would make a really good sport or active earphone.

Sound (6/10): 
Highs: This is the weakest part of the CLX7 in my opinion. They are really lacking somewhere at 15kHz, and the high doesn't extend at all. Cymbals, snare drums, and some vocals sound really bad, lacking a lot of "airyness" and "crispness". There is also a lot of sibilance, probably the most from the IEMs I heard, straight out of my ipod the hiss is very noticable. Although it is somewhat more detailed than the CX300.
Mids: The mids are very clear, but sometimes it sounds a little tiny. Otherwise it is great.
Bass: The bass doesn't go deep and the most powerful part is the midbass and is not as near as textured as the IE8, although the bass is somewhat tight, and punchy.
Soundstage is flat too, but better than the Etymotic hf5. I would say overall the CLX7s sound is on the balanced but it the lack of high extension can make it sound a little dark. I am very disappionted with the sound, and I wouldn't recommend them unless you find it under 50USD.

There are other much better earphones at much lower price. Considering that the CLX7 sell at 200 dollar MSRP, I have to say that it has the worst value from all the IEMs I bought, the cable is thin and weak, and the sound the bad too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back