Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Sep 30, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #706 of 1,082
wow..I'm enlightened. would you mind posting some effective mods with photos and instructions you did for the pioneer se-a1000 then ? ill be happy to remove all my mods done so far and implement yours. alternatively, I can buy a new set from amazon so that I can receive nirvana teaching from mod teacher like you on this headphone. quick quick show me some photos of your mods on this pioneer !!

I will if you send me your SE-1K or buy me a pair, which for what it's sound is worth I ain't going through a second effort to unveil what a 3 year sleeper sounds like (not good in my books) and definitely not a poor mans HD650 which is a joke of a claim/title the OP made in the first place.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #707 of 1,082

I will if you send me your SE-1K or buy me a pair, which for what it's sound is worth I ain't going through a second effort to unveil what a 3 year sleeper sounds like (not good in my books) and definitely not a poor mans HD650 which is a joke of a claim/title the OP made in the first place.

popcorn.gif

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #709 of 1,082

yawn.. you made your point. you make it sound so real with your mod advices. haha

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #712 of 1,082

To be fair, he tried modding the Pioneers and preferred the sound. It's not really fair to make a judgement until you do the same.

To enlighten you with a bit of history, I have done the same mods (with different material) when I had these headphones 2 years ago, I even went as far as completely modding the outter grill housing to get a more open sound from them to expand soundstage a bit as there is some congestion on the low-end playing some multi-layered mixed music. For what it's worth all he did was just stuff felt and add foam dampening and immediately = MOAR BASS, when in fact it's taken away other aspects of sound, does he even know what dampening does? What backwave reflection, sibilance and ringing are? 

If you want to do some mods, change out the pads is the first recommendation as earpads are a hit or miss to the sound attributing to the seal around your ears and comfort. The next step is (and I doubt anyone here has the balls to go as far as drilling/punching holes into the housing) is to follow the driver and baffle plate dampening Mark used for his Denon D2/5/7k Lawton mods. I wouldn't recommend stuffing polyfill or cotton balls inside the housing as the housing chamber is quite thin and small, this will stuff up the treble ,make the mids sound funny and cut your soundstage by half.

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #713 of 1,082

these are significantly better than 325. :|

lel.  Tyll used them as an example for a quote on quote "bad" sounding headphone. But then again that is just *one* graph and I can't find any more data on them. I'll assume they're pretty darn good for $50...but can they oust my super duper entry level etys?http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EtymoticEK5.pdf
hehe I don't think so 
atsmile.gif

Oh wow I can't believe I just used an emoticon. What is this 2007? lol I must be tired

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Tyll clearly had a defective pair because my pair sound nothing like his chart would claim.

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #714 of 1,082
Hey all!  I made the foam removal mod, the blu tack mod, and finally the cord mod.  What I did was convert the cord to a plug.  I could not find a perfect fit; I had to have a 1inch plug sticking out... but it works!  I have to say, I can't believe how much difference the cord mod makes.  I compared the stock cable (with a new RS end on it) and a monoprice cable I have, which measures .4 ohm, instead of 2.8 or so.  Wow!  Very nice.  These cans sound very different then where they started, and I am very pleased!  
atsmile.gif

IBJamon

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #715 of 1,082
Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Tyll clearly had a defective pair because my pair sound nothing like his chart would claim.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PioneerSEA1000.pdf

the wrong chart was in the quote, here's the right one.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #716 of 1,082
To enlighten you with a bit of history, I have done the same mods (with different material) when I had these headphones 2 years ago, I even went as far as completely modding the outter grill housing to get a more open sound from them to expand soundstage a bit as there is some congestion on the low-end playing some multi-layered mixed music. For what it's worth all he did was just stuff felt and add foam dampening and immediately = MOAR BASS, when in fact it's taken away other aspects of sound, does he even know what dampening does? What backwave reflection, sibilance and ringing are? 

If you want to do some mods, change out the pads is the first recommendation as earpads are a hit or miss to the sound attributing to the seal around your ears and comfort. The next step is (and I doubt anyone here has the balls to go as far as drilling/punching holes into the housing) is to follow the driver and baffle plate dampening Mark used for his Denon D2/5/7k Lawton mods. I wouldn't recommend stuffing polyfill or cotton balls inside the housing as the housing chamber is quite thin and small, this will stuff up the treble ,make the mids sound funny and cut your soundstage by half.

I'm pretty impressed that your vivid imagination of modding this headphones goes as far as 2 years ago.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #717 of 1,082
Hey all!  I made the foam removal mod, the blu tack mod, and finally the cord mod.  What I did was convert the cord to a plug.  I could not find a perfect fit; I had to have a 1inch plug sticking out... but it works!  I have to say, I can't believe how much difference the cord mod makes.  I compared the stock cable (with a new RS end on it) and a monoprice cable I have, which measures .4 ohm, instead of 2.8 or so.  Wow!  Very nice.  These cans sound very different then where they started, and I am very pleased!  :atsmile:

IBJamon

thumbs up ! Great job brother !. how would you evaluate the sound difference before and after the 3 mods you did ? not sure if you wanna try the 15-20degree tilt mod and the mod7 , anyway both are simpler comparing to the plugs you modded , impressive. crystalT mod the plugs as well. I spent quite a bit of time getting rid of the emanel coating when resolder to new plugs..

also do you reckon the stock cable 2.8 ohms was due to the 6m length or the quality of the stock cable ?

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #718 of 1,082
I'm pretty impressed that your vivid imagination of modding this headphones goes as far as 2 years ago.

And I'm pretty impressed your minuscule amount of knowledge on the headphone mods you've performed really shows that you don't have the slightest clue as to what you are doing and oh yeah do tell me MOAR about the bass. 
size]

To make yourself less of a fool please educate yourself on what dampening does as depicted in the many useful modding threads we have here (especially  in the diy subsection) some with backed up measurements. Please. /unsubbed, what a waste of effort.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #719 of 1,082
popcorn.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #720 of 1,082

I think I'll have one last
popcorn.gif
 before exiting the theater. I think we might have reached the credits, but perhaps there's a little more left in this film?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back