Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Sep 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #677 of 1,082
I tried the foam removal, thickening of the pads, and the 15 degree and tilt. And such a difference it has been!!!!!! The highs are alot more clear and not so harsh, there is more depth in the music, tighter bass, and clearer sound throughout. I tihnks its more than a 20% increase in quality! +1 to you man!!! But one question. Where the blue tack applied exactly? Can yuo explain it more to me? Thaks <3

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #678 of 1,082
So I know I reviewed these and I think I was a little to nice...

The pioneers are worth what I paid, no less... They were not groundbreaking or amazing... just good. When I compared them to the AD900x I was unfair and probably was too nice (this is an appreciation thread after all) Bottom line is that they don't compare to them... or the Q/K7xx, SR325is, HD6xx, or the DT880 or even the HD598. They are boring, somewhat diffuse and off sounding (mostly on piano) While I did appreciate them, and they are better/as good as lot of cans, just not any mid or high end ones.

/rant

I feel better now. I almost felt like my review could have misled someone...

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #679 of 1,082
kvtaco,

I am curious if your opinion would change with the mods mentioned in this thread.  I was rather disappointed until I started modding them, after which they are a whole new animal.

IBJamon

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #680 of 1,082
I'm open to trying again for the right price... I'm not drinking the kool-aid so I refuse to pay more then $40 for these things... and it would have to be through Amazon so I can send them back.

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #682 of 1,082
Sep 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #683 of 1,082
biggrin.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #684 of 1,082
I am still on the FOTM vibe - although somewhatbass light  certainly better than My AT M50's for imaging/soundstage and I really like the mids on these cans. Had I bought them at the $200 list when they coame out I would have been happy. I don't expect them to sound better than  my DT990's which arrived today though once broken in.

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #686 of 1,082
Radi9red:  I am with pichu on this one:  I don't see where to apply the blu-tac.  I bought some to plan for this mod, took apart my headphone... and I really don't see where to apply it.  Could you please take a picture?

Thank you!

IBJamon

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #687 of 1,082

The pioneers are worth what I paid, no less... They were not groundbreaking or amazing... just good. When I compared them to the AD900x I was unfair and probably was too nice (this is an appreciation thread after all) Bottom line is that they don't compare to them... or the Q/K7xx, SR325is, HD6xx, or the DT880 or even the HD598. They are boring, somewhat diffuse and off sounding (mostly on piano) While I did appreciate them, and they are better/as good as lot of cans, just not any mid or high end ones.

/rant

these are significantly better than 325. :|

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #688 of 1,082

lel.  Tyll used them as an example for a quote on quote "bad" sounding headphone. But then again that is just *one* graph and I can't find any more data on them. I'll assume they're pretty darn good for $50...but can they oust my super duper entry level etys?http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EtymoticEK5.pdf
hehe I don't think so 
atsmile.gif

Oh wow I can't believe I just used an emoticon. What is this 2007? lol I must be tired

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #689 of 1,082

/rant

lel.  Tyll used them as an example for a quote on quote "bad" sounding headphone. But then again that is just *one* graph and I can't find any more data on them. I'll assume they're pretty darn good for $50...but can they oust my super duper entry level etys?http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EtymoticEK5.pdf
hehe I don't think so 
atsmile.gif

Oh wow I can't believe I just used an emoticon. What is this 2007? lol I must be tired

Yep...for $40 to $50 they're a good set of starter 'mid-fi' headphones or nice addition to a collection.  HonestIy, the price/performance is one of its biggest strengths.  I don't have to worry about leaving them out when I run an errand, etc.

That said, I really do like listening to some jazz trio/quartets (especially club/live recordings), simple classical (chamber concertos), and easy going pop (JT, etc.).  They seem to add some 'air' to these...which could be the same as being 'diffuse' now that I think about it! 

However, its really a stretch to put them in the HD6XX, DTXXX, Q/K701 category in my opinion.  One of these cans will be my major Holiday purchase and I can assure you they'll get more air time than the Pioneers...my 990's and 558's already do.

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #690 of 1,082
  radi9red:

I just wanted to say THANK YOU!  I thought that these cans sounded way more bass heavy than I wanted them to... I like to hear 'sizzle' and 'air' when I listen to music, and I was concerned upon getting these that they were another bass oriented set... (yes, I consider them bass heavy, since I have a large head).  I had to mod the monoprice 8323 cans to make them even slightly reasonable to listen to, and now, tearing off that padding... made a huge difference!  Bravo!  I haven't tried the other mods yet, but I knew I had to do something to kill the 'dark' sound.

Thanks again,

IBJamon

Hi IBjamon > you're welcome.   the "double" padding adds to the veil and that results in poor mids and muddy bass.  tearing 1 layer off definitely helps. . and i'm not sure why pioneer did it that way.  Could be something that they overlooked when getting the chinese in china to manufacture them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back