Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Aug 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #601 of 1,082
Quote:
Beats are not longer made by Monster and if you listen to the Monster Inspire headphones (in passive mode) you'd realize you are mistaken to dismiss the company so readily. I know I did, but after listening to the Inspire the company has my grudging respect. Beats are what they are, a running joke. I would 100% expect flat response to be an engineering goal and a marketing theme for most high-end gear.

Would second the Monster comment.  Plus -- if your patient, you can get some very good deals on their IEMs. 

My blue iSports were $29.99 from TigerDirect and I really like them for working out...excellent sound signature for working out, stay put very well, and sweat resistant.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #603 of 1,082
Quote:

completely disagree. Grados don't have the mids necessary, or the soundstage and imaging necessary for anything I listen to. Listening to music like Secret Sphere, Galneryus, Vision Divine, Rhapsody of Fire, etc, or Animals as Leaders, Within the Ruins, Haunted Shores, After the Burial, or Beneath the Massacre, Origin, Odium, Anaal Nakrath, etc. Grados lack the speed and instrument separation necessary for the extremely busy and fast-paced music I listen to. They also lack the powerful crunch necessary for djent, and death metal. Listening to techdeath, and grindcore on Grados is an exercise in futility. Even higher-end Grados like 325i lack everything necessary to really reproduce technical metal.

And oh god, math metal sounds godawful on Grados.

I do adore how hardcore sounds on 'em though. Hardcore Punk, Sludge, and Crust Punk sound awesome on Grados.

A bit late here, but after a few weeks with the Asgard 2 and Grado SR325i, I came to the same conclusion.  I listen to After the Burial quite a bit, and I came to the same conclusion you did with that band.  If the 325i had a bit better detail and soundstage, it would have done fine, but it tended to just 'mush' things up with those genres/bands.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #604 of 1,082
Quote:
Beats are not longer made by Monster and if you listen to the Monster Inspire headphones (in passive mode) you'd realize you are mistaken to dismiss the company so readily. I know I did, but after listening to the Inspire the company has my grudging respect. Beats are what they are, a running joke. I would 100% expect flat response to be an engineering goal and a marketing theme for most high-end gear.

Honestly I don't care or couldn't careless about Beat's or Monster, both craptastic in my books. And I never said Monster/Beat's aimed for a neutral response, I think it's common sense from reviews/reputation and the reception of there products for one to know what there targetted audience is. A large percentage of companies out there that are in the high-end audio market aim for a flat response, how they achieve this objectively with subjective cognitive bias is whole different matter, I always stick by my reference motto with audio, use FR measurements/graphs and objective data to point me in the right direction, use my ear's subjectively to decide if it is good or not.

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #605 of 1,082
Quote:
Honestly I don't care or couldn't careless about Beat's or Monster, both craptastic in my books. And I never said Monster/Beat's aimed for a neutral response, I think it's common sense from reviews/reputation and the reception of there products for one to know what there targetted audience is. A large percentage of companies out there that are in the high-end audio market aim for a flat response, how they achieve this objectively with subjective cognitive bias is whole different matter, I always stick by my reference motto with audio, use FR measurements/graphs and objective data to point me in the right direction, use my ear's subjectively to decide if it is good or not.

Then your "books" are still based on assumptions, despite your claim that you "measure, listen, then decide." Just sayin'

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #606 of 1,082
Quote:
Then your "books" are still based on assumptions, despite your claim that you "measure, listen, then decide." Just sayin'

I don't understand what are you saying, what are you rebutting against? You're making no sense to me as you're pulling things out of thin air. I was originally talking about how companies in the high end sector strive to achieving flat frequency response then you start talking about some of a Beat's headphone or whatever being in passive mode. 
size]

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #607 of 1,082
though shure srh840 measures as a bass-heavy can, they aren't at all. Or at least my pair isn't. it has more oomph than akg k550, for example which is practically anemic, but they aren't anything near what I would consider bassy.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #608 of 1,082
Quote:
though shure srh840 measures as a bass-heavy can, they aren't at all. Or at least my pair isn't. it has more oomph than akg k550, for example which is practically anemic, but they aren't anything near what I would consider bassy.

I found the k550 to have fairly balanced and tight bass, whereas the shr840 felt warm... maybe even a touch woolly. Maybe you're a closet bass lover? lol

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #610 of 1,082
I was obviously kidding! And I know how bad a overly bassy can is with metal (I'm a thrash, prog, speed, symphonic, doom, death, math, folk metal kinda person)

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #611 of 1,082
Also under the Sharp brand in Japan. Model VR-HSA100

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #613 of 1,082
I imagine this must mean there's an OEM that actually did the designing, or else one company licensed the design to the other.

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #614 of 1,082
Quote:
Also under the Sharp brand in Japan. Model VR-HSA100

Wow, learn something new everyday!  Thanks for the good find nick!

Quote:
I imagine this must mean there's an OEM that actually did the designing, or else one company licensed the design to the other.

Hmm, good question.  I know that several of Pioneer's models have been sourced from Foster as of late.  Could this possibly be one of them?

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #615 of 1,082
Quote:

i wouldn't call your post obvious. it's the internet.

lol at then end of a statement literally means lol... lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back