Pioneer PL510 DD TT - any good ?
May 24, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 4

memepool

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seen one of these for sale at $50 sans stylus - is it worth a gamble or is it not very good ?

Well rated in it's day ('78) with the usual issue of a higher mass tonearm making cartridge matching a bit more tricky today. I did find a Pionneer moving coil for 140USD the other day and there are always the Denon's but MM's are thin on the ground these days necessitating vintage or NOS. Might sound a bit dated to you compared to your Rega P3.
If I were you I'd go for something like an old Thorens TD125/126 / SME3009 which will far surpass anything a Rega could ever do and sound wonderful with classical music. check Audigon they go for around 450 upwards.

May 24, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 4

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well rated in it's day ('78) with the usual issue of a higher mass tonearm making cartridge matching a bit more tricky today. I did find a Pionneer moving coil for 140USD the other day and there are always the Denon's but MM's are thin on the ground these days necessitating vintage or NOS. Might sound a bit dated to you compared to your Rega P3.
If I were you I'd go for something like an old Thorens TD125/126 / SME3009 which will far surpass anything a Rega could ever do and sound wonderful with classical music. check Audigon they go for around 450 upwards.

Many thanks for the response, somehow I thought you would be the first to reply
wink.gif

$450 is pretty far out of my budget for an experiment I am afraid, the missus still has her Thorens TD150 back in blighty next to the Rega
icon10.gif
but it would cost a fortune to ship either and both run on 240V so probably not viable. I was really looking for a cheap test of whether I would even like vinyl sound after all these years. But I guess my biggest concern would be low noise and I suppose a cheap TT wont be terribly good on that parameter ?

Many thanks all the same.

May 25, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 4

memepool

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks for the response, somehow I thought you would be the first to reply
wink.gif

Discussing turntables with you ?... far too tempting an opportunity to pass up...
lambda.gif

The Pioneer is a fine starter deck but given that you already have two better tables I just don't think it's going to do much for you.

4-500USD is a lot more to spend admittedly but the TD-125 and 126 were Thorens top of the line tables in the 1970s costing the same or more than the Linn LP12. They make the 150/160, good though these are, look like toys in comparison but are strangely underated.

A TD125 / SME3009 is simply one of the best ways I've ever heard to listen to classical music and will give any digital front end a run for it's money. Settle for anything less and I really think you are wasting your time.

Anyway classic marques like these are really what are know as free Hi-Fi. The way prices are going on the 2nd hand market if you buy a Thorens and sell it on a few months later you are more likely to make a small profit than a loss.

Users who are viewing this thread