Pioneer Monitor 10 (1978) vs Pioneer Monitor 10R (2004) vs Sony MDR V6
Mar 1, 2010 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Deep Funk

Headphoneus Supremus
The Pioneer Monitor 10 (1978) versus the Pioneer Monitor 10R (2004)
+
The Sony MDR V6

Impression by Deep Funk

As with my previous comparative impression I rely on my knowledge, ears and experience. If you want to know why I added my old V6-es to this comparative impression, well lately I haven’t listened to music through my V6-es and I’ve always been curious to how the old Pioneer would hold up against the V6-es. Besides, it also allows for a good bass comparison which is all due to the V6-es for making me a modest bass head. Balance still comes first.

To make this a good comparative impression the old Pioneer and V6 are warmed up with ‘Tubular Bells 1973,’ Black Holes & Revelations and ‘ICP Live at the Bimhuis.’ The last album is one the weirdest albums I ever listened to. It was recorded on the eight of May 2008, ICP 046 for those who are curious.

P.S. I couldn’t resist listening to Guns N’Roses through the V6-es therefore I should add ‘Appetite For Destruction’ and ‘Joyful Rebellion’ to the warm up list. K-os’ second album is one of the most eclectic albums I ever listened to.

Out of the box?
Only the Pioneer Monitor 10r came out of box. The others were bought second hand. The Pioneer Monitor 10r came in a cardboard box with Pioneer written on every side and Monitor 10R on almost every side. The packaging is really good, not as classy as with the CAL!s but really sturdy. There’s also no cutting involved so your hands stay intact. Oh yes, the way the headphone is positioned is really neatly and beautiful at the same time. I actually took out the inside of the packaging to use it for daily storage. Really pretty…

What do you get?
Pioneer Monitor 10 (1978): the collector who sold me the oldies only gave me the Pioneer and a conversion plug, 6.3mm to 3.5mm which was fair enough.
Pioneer Monitor 10R (2004): headphones with removable cable and stereo plug, 6.3mm. That’s all really, not even a travel pouch.
Sony MDR V6: bought from a guy in the business I guess. I bought the headphone, 6.3mm plug, travel pouch, manual and product certificate.

The product?
Pioneer Monitor 10 (1978): headphone constructed of metal, leather, vinyl and plastic which in its overall construction is both strong and intimidating. Its construction is somewhat of a benchmark whenever I compare headphones. Frequency range is 20 to 20.000, SPL 100 decibels and resistance between 4 and 16 ohms, I’m not sure.
Pioneer Monitor 10R (2004): headphone constructed of plastic, some leather, a bit of metal and pleather for the earcups. In the sturdiness competition is as good as the V6 with a better ear cup mechanism. It’s twice as light as the old Pioneer, 275 grams versus 530 without cable which makes the new Pioneer actually really portable. Frequency range is 5 to 28.000, SPL 106 decibels and a resistance of 35 ohms. The cable can stretch up to 7 meters, 2 meters more than the old Pioneer.
Sony MDR V6: headphone constructed out of more lighter materials, plastic, leather a bit of metal, aluminum if I’m correct and pleather which all weighs 230 grams without cable without sacrificing sturdiness. The headband is very flexible which adds to the comfort of wearing it for longer periods. The cable extends to 3 meters. Frequency range is 5 to 30.000, SPL 106 decibels and a resistance of 63 ohms.

Comfort?
Regarding comfort the V6 wins hands down. It’s light, gently presses on my ears but isn’t always firm enough. Banging your head on some marvelous rock music will cause the V6-es to fall off you head.
The Monitor 10R, like the Monitor 10 is very firm. Both put quite some pressure on your head with the Monitor 10 being the winner, your ears need a pause too. The Monitor 10R is much nicer for the ears and because it’s lighter it’ll stay on your head longer in a headbang competition against the Monitor 10.

Media player
Mediamonkey, standard equalizer with volume on 20% while the laptop delivers 100%.

The sound of music from my ever present laptop
Kagrra - Satsuki
Kagrra - Omou
Guns N’Roses – Welcome To The Jungle
Guns N’Roses – Paradise City
Guns N’Roses – Sweet Child O’Mine
System of a Down – Chop Suey
System of a Down - Toxicity
Kyuss – Apothercaries’ Weight, FLAC
Kyuss – 50 Million Year Trip (Downside Up), FLAC
Kyuss – Capsized, FLAC
Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells 1973 Part One, FLAC
Instant Composers Pool – Op Naar De Mooche, FLAC
Souls Of Mischief – 93’Til Infinity Instrumental
Souls Of Mischief – Almyghty Mighty Pythons
Ella Fitzgerald – Mack The Knife
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
Nancy Sinatra – Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
Joe Cocker – Woman To Woman
Dennis Yost & Classic IV – Spooky
John Fred & His Playboy Band – Judy In Disguise
John Lee Hooker – Boom Boom
Dolly Parton – Letter To Heaven
Muse – Supermassive Black Hole
Muse – Map Of Problematique
Michael Jackson – Thriller
Michael Jackson – Wanna Be Startin’Somethin’
Michael Jackson – Human Nature
John Coltrane – Aisha
Marvin Gaye – T Plays It Cool
Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On?
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five – The Message
Melle Mel & Duke Bootie – The Message II (Survival)
Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel – White Lines (Don’t Do It)
Armand Van Helden – NYC Beat
Daft Punk – Around The World (Album Version!)
Laurent Garnier – The Man With The Red Face (Ashley Beedle Remix)
Rage Against The Machine – Bombtrack
Rage Against The Machine – Killing In The Name Of
Curtis Mayfield – Don’t Worry, If There’s A Hell Below We’re All Going To Go
Curtis Mayfield – We People Who Are Darker Than Blue
K-os – Crabbuckit
Miles Davis – So What
Pete Philly & Perquisite – Time Flies
Pete Philly & Perquisite – Mystery Repeats
Marisa Robles & others… - Handel: Variations For Harp
Marisa Robles & others… - Boieldieu: Harp Concerto in Three Tempi: 1 Allegro Brillante
James Brown & The JB’s – Funky Drummer (9 minutes and 15 seconds!)
James Brown & The JB’s – Blind Man Can See It (Long Version!, 7 minutes and 19 seconds)
Tribe Called Quest – Excursions
Beastie Boys – Eggman
Beastie Boys – Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun
Lefties Soul Connection – Organ Donor
System of a Down – Aerials
K-os – Superstar Part Zero

All tracks except those with ‘FLAC’ written behind it are 320 kbps WMAs. For this track list I added a bit of variety, especially regarding vocalists and some of my favourite tracks. Too bad I don’t have any Opera or Fado at the moment. I rip all my music from the CDs.

Pioneer Monitor 10 (1978)
Satsuki: sounds soft, a bit distant, good instrument separation, clear sound and vocals, bass is fine, lovely bass burble, instrument separation is consistently good, the music sounds beautiful.
Omou: idem ditto, bass is a bit monotonous, bass doesn’t go deep enough although it doesn’t necessarily distract from the track, lovely bass burble, soundstage?
Welcome To The Jungle: legendary intro, idem ditto, bass is nice, Axl Rose sounds a bit distant, lovely bass burble although monotonous at the same time, the rythm section towards the end of the track sounds very good.
Paradise City: guitars sound great, low voice during intro sounds low, idem ditto, bass is slightly better on this track, complex musical passages don’t pose a problem.
Sweet Child O’Mine: legendary intro, the intro is a bit difficult for the old Pioneer, idem ditto.
Chop Suey: perfect sound level, for some reason this track sounds perfect, bass is lacking although it doesn’t distract, vocals sound closer, idem ditto.
Toxicity: great intro, drums!, for some reason this track sounds perfect, vocals sound closer, I experience the vocals being more forward followed by instruments and being faced by the music, SoaD and the old Pioneer make a remarkable good team.
Apothecaries’ Weight: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, idem ditto, bass is there, bass is not deep enough yet it sounds O.K.
50 Million Year Trip: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, guitars are perfect, lovely bass burble, this track and headphone are doing weird things to my head by surrounding me with sound from all sides, bass is slightly better on this track.
Capsized: the music is closer and coming at me from all sides, sounds perfect, sound level is perfect, maybe the old Pioneer has a preference for acoustic music?
Tubular Bells 1973 Part One: intro starts soft, clarity, piano and bells and bass fuse beautifully, the track still sounds soft, the sound level is very comfortable, again it’s as if I’m surrounded by instruments and their sound, bass is good, clipping sounds?, the melancholy of the track is captured vividly and the transitions sound perfect, the end is magnificent.
Op Naar De Mooche: live recording, the music is close yet comfortably close, the microphones must have been placed very close to the musicians, the old Pioneer is flawless for everything sounds wonderfully weird and undistorted.
93’Til Infinity: sounds a bit soft, bass is jazzy as it should be for this track, for my ears the fast rhythm section and slow bass create a vibe that’s unimaginably relaxing, flawless.
Almyghty Myghty Pythons: beat and guitar(s) and effects are perfect, bass is held back and fuzzy, no lovely burble, the bass is lacking yet it somehow works O.K.
Mack The Knife: old live recording, a bit soft, Ella Fitzgerald sounds present though, jazzy bass, drums and cymbals/high hats sound good, balanced sound, the old recording is soft yet almost perfect, bass is good.
Superfly: intro is perfect, wah wah effect is working, Curtis Mayfield and the instrumentals sound very close yet live, studio sound?, the old Pioneer does justice to the production and little sounds of the track, Bang Bang: Nancy Sinatra sounds as if her record is playing, flawless guitar, there’s still a little distance between me and the music which makes for comfortable listening.
Woman To Woman: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, flawless music and vocal reproduction to my ears, this is great, bass is good, Joe Cocker sounds great, I’m really enjoying the music as if I’m very close to the performance.
Spooky: intro is perfect, bass is good although monotonous, except for the bass I the old Pioneer is flawless.
Judy In Disguise: intro is perfect, bass is close to perfect, everything else is flawless…
Boom Boom: intro is perfect, bass is tight on this track, flawless, face melt…
Letter To Heaven: time for country, old recording, Dolly Parton sounds perfect, flawless…
Supermassive Black Hole: hmmm yummy, intro is perfect, vocals sound true to the record, good instrument separation, flawless…
Map Of Problematique: intro is perfect, clipping?, vocals sound a bit distant, balanced sound, close to flawless, maybe flawless, this track is tricky…
Thriller: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, bass works, MJ sounds live, clipping?, I can hear every little detail, Vincent Price sounds very close and scary, flawless?
Wanna Be Startin’Somethin’: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, MJ sounds a bit distant, otherwise flawless?, I’m having more and more fun with the old Pioneers.
Human Nature: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, MJ sounds a bit closer, balanced sound, bass is good, the old Pioneer does justice to this track, flawless?
Aisha: the last track for tonight for it is almost 3 AM, intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, a great track to end the day with, I hear every little detail, the solos are natural and the overall sound is live, flawless.
T Plays It Cool: a favourite, sounds very close, almost live, flawless…
What’s Going On: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, Marvin Gaye sounds a bit distant, balanced sound, bass lacks a bit of definition, the old Pioneer does justice to this track.
The Message: intro is perfect, sounds a bit too loud, good bass, vocals and beats are more forward, very balanced, sounds live, flawless?
The Message II: old favourite, clipping?, intro is perfect, sounds a bit too loud, the same as ‘The Message.’
White Lines: intro is perfect, yummy bass, the same as ‘The Message’ really, maybe the bass can be tighter although the bass is good, instrument separation is consistently impressive.
NYC Beat: time for house, clipping?, intro is perfect, rhythm section is very tight, the production sounds very live on a personal level, distorted bass is good, the rendering of this track is close to perfect, the CAL!s have the more fun sound that works for this track.
Around The World: 7 minutes of very funky house, intro could be better?, this track sounds a bit more distant, bass is good, balanced, it’s hard to stay on my chair, close to flawless.
Man With The Red Face: another favourite, intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, the music sounds a bit distant yet comfortable, relaxing sound, flawless?
Bombtrack; yummy, intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, vocals sound a bit soft, balanced, rhythm section and guitars sound flawless, bass is flawless?, flawless?
Killing In The Name Of: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, guitars sound more forward, vocals and instrumentals sound live?, the old Pioneer does justice to this track, flawless?
Don’t Worry, If There’s A Hell Below…: awesome intro, bass burble works, sound level is perfect, Curtis Mayfield sounds a bit distant, balanced sound, instrument separation is still impressive, clipping?, wah wah effect, percussion, flawless?
We People Who Are Darker Than Blue: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, bass isn’t tight enough, bass is O.K., funky part starts off good, bass sounds better, rhythm section is tight, vamp, horns sound good, harp transition, slow part starts off good, flawless?
Crabbuckit: old favourite, intro is perfect, beats and bass sound flawless, jazzy bass, it’s as if the record is playing in my head, sound level is perfect, clipping?, flawless?
So What: intro is perfect, sounds soft, bass is perfectly jazzy, the music sounds close yet distant, sounds live?, clear and relaxing sound, soundstage?, flawless?
Time Flies: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, I’m not sure if the bass is too undefined yet it doesn’t ruin the track, vocals sound natural and live, the track sounds live, very impressive.
Mystery Repeats: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, higher paced track, more forward vocals, bass is good, violins sound lovely, live/in your face sound yet comfortable, flawless?
Handel: Variations For Harp: beautiful intro, sound level is perfect, the harp(s) sounds more forward, very live sound, the old Pioneer sounds relaxing in contrast with a faster paced playing harp which fascinates me, transitions are perfect, flawless?
Boieldieu: Harp Concerto In Three Tempi…: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, the violins are more forward, I hear every little nuance, transitions are perfect, the track sounds live, the old Pioneer loves Classic, I am thoroughly enjoying this track, flawless?
Funky Drummer: time for some James, intro sounds perfect, sound level is perfect, bass could be tighter even though the bass sound quite jazzy, delicious groove, Maceo Parker sounds great, rhythm section is tight, James sounds very close, the track sounds live, the old Pioneer does justice to some mighty deep funk, break beats sound crisp, close to perfect for me.
Blind Man Can See It: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, delicious groove, rhythm section is tight, guitar vamp sounds perfect, bass is good on this track, balanced sound, the track sounds live, the old Pioneer loves old school funk grooves, maybe if the bass was a bit tighter it would be perfect.
Excursions: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, bass is perfectly jazzy, vocals close and crisp, beats are tight, the dark groove sounds perfect, the track sounds live, flawless.
Eggman: intro sounds perfect, the track sounds a bit too soft, vocals are a bit distant, the track sounds somewhat distant, the track sounds almost flawless.
Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun: intro is perfect, sound level is slightly better, the same as ‘Eggman’ for the rest, almost flawless.
Organ Donor: intro sounds perfect, organ plays with your mind, sounds a bit too loud, rhythm section is tight, bass is good although a bit undefined, the directness and groove of the track are captured very vividly, organ sounds awesome, the track sounds live, very impressive.
Aerials: beautiful intro, clear vocals, guitars sound perfect, sound level is perfect, vocals are more forward followed by the instruments, instrument separation is still impressive, as if I’m the microphone yet the track sounds comfortable to my ears, instrumental part is fascinating and sounds live, perfect sound?
Superstar Part Zero: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, jazzy bass is good, beats are hard and precise, vocals sound a bit distant, samples sound great, K-os sounds very close, the track sounds live, flawless?

Pioneer Monitor 10r (2004)
Satsuki: intro is perfect, sounds a bit too loud, vocals are clear, vocals and instruments are more forward, instrument separation is good, dense sound, bass is good?, sounds good.
Omou: intro is perfect, sound level is better, the same as ‘Satsuki,’ bass is tight and good, the track sounds less dense, less forward sound, very good.
Welcome The Jungle: intro is perfect, sounds soft, bass!, vocals sound a bit distant, guitars and rhythm sections sound very good, sounds live and clean at the same time, the part towards the end sounds flawless, flawless?
Paradise City: intro is perfect, sound level is (almost) perfect, the same as ‘Welcome To The Jungle,’ flawless yet lacking something, clipping?, flawless.
Sweet Child O’Mine: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, guitars and rhythm section sound very good, vocals sound distant yet live, bass!, flawless.
Chop Suey: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, forward rhythm section, vocals sound live, guitars sound convincing, very forward sound, the track sounds live, the guitars are awesome, transitions are perfect, perfect?
Toxicity: the same as ‘Chop Suey’, perfect?
Apothecaries’ Weight: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect?, I hear slightly more details?, clipping?, more forward sound?, flawless?, close to perfect.
50 Million Year Trip: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, awesome effects, cymbals!, fast paced balanced sound, bass!, transitions are perfect, vocals are distant yet sound close/live?, slow intermezzo sounds mesmerizing, the groove is perfectly captured, perfect?
Capsized: beautiful short piece, live sound, neutral/cold sound?, close to perfect.
Tubular Bells 1973 Part One: intro is perfect, sounds a bit too soft, bass sounds perfect?, all the (small) transitions sound flawless, as if the record is playing in my head, the music is somewhat distant yet comfortably close, sounds live, the effects are awesome, balanced sound, instrument separation is impressive, more detail?, at least equal to the old Pioneer but better?, it’s slightly better than the old Pioneer for its overall sound and detail, I love the ending...
Op Naar De Mooche: live recording, intro is perfect, again a bit too soft?, as if I’m there comfortably close, flawless, again as good as the old Pioneer but better?, slightly better.
93’Til Infinity: perfect intro, a bit too loud, the groove sounds perfect, bass sounds light and tight, I prefer this sound really, forward beats and a laid back groove, perfect?
Almyghty Myghty Pythons: perfect intro, no bass burble but a very light touch of bass which sounds almost jazzy, I really like this sound for it brings out the beat, harp? and guitars, perfect?
Mack The Knife: old live recording, sounds a bit soft, vocals sound a bit distant followed by the instruments, light and tight bass, still the track sounds live, instrument separation is still impressive, Ella Fitzgerald is captured vividly yet somewhat distant, almost flawless?
Superfly: intro is perfect, sounds a bit soft?, forward guitar/bass followed by rhythm section with a soft sounding yet just loud enough Curtis Mayfield and it works, the track sounds live with all the details and effects, I dig this groovy sound, perfect?
Bang Bang: intro is perfect, sounds a bit too loud yet very pleasant, guitar left and Nancy Sinatra’s vocals right, this sounds really live, vocals sound natural, almost perfect.
Woman To Woman: intro is perfect, again a bit too loud, groove and vocals are captured unbelievably well, the positioning is peculiar as if I’m between the vocalists, flawless rendering of the track, sound stage?, weird yet flawless?
Spooky: perfect intro, again a bit too loud, bass is tight, vocals and instruments sound live and balanced, sounds live, more detail?, almost perfect.
Judy In Disguise: perfect intro, again a bit too loud, forward rhythm section followed by vocals and bass, bass is tight and impressively defined, perfect bass?, the track sounds live and tight, perfect?
Boom Boom: intro is perfect, sounds a bit too loud yet very pleasant, vocals sound crisp and live, guitars sound delicious, rhythm section is tight just like the bass, groovy, perfect.
Letter To Heaven: country time, sound level is perfect, beautiful and lifelike voice, the track sounds live, perfect?
Supermassive Black Hole: I totally dig the intro, sounds a bit too loud, vocals sound distant yet comfortably close, this track sounds very forward, bass is perfect?, just flawlessly captured groove and instrument separation is impressive, perfect?
Map Of Problematique: a favourite, intro sounds perfect, the sound of this track is more distant yet live, the new Pioneer does justice to this track, balanced sound with slightly more forward vocals, perfect?
Thriller: time for a legendary intro, intro is perfect, rhythm section and bass vamp a more forward, MJ’s vocals are bit distant yet it works for the overall sound, I’m speechless, the track just sounds unbelievably good, the track sounds live, Vincent Price sounds just perfect, perfect for my ears.
Wanna Be Startin’Somethin:’ intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, the production of the track is unbelievably good, rhythm section and synthesizers sound perfect, MJ sounds a bit distant yet live, vocals are great, bass and guitars are perfect, enjoying this track in amazement, just perfect.
Human Nature: perfect intro, sound level perfect, the track sounds live, bass is perfect?, rhythm section and synthesizers sound amazing, more forward yet relaxing sound, the vocals couldn’t be better for now, the new Pioneer does justice to this track, perfect.
Aisha: intro is perfect, sounds a bit too loud, lifelike sound, subtle rhythm section and piano accompany the horns like a shadow, the subtle bass sounds perfect?, I slightly prefer this sound more than the old Pioneer, balanced sound, perfect?
T Plays It Cool: a favourite, the track just sounds flawless, the groove and break beat sound so lifelike and forward yet the sound is relaxing, perfect sound level, perfect?
What’s Going On: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, lovely bass burble, smooth, airy and soulful vocals, the vocals sound more forward followed by the bass and rhythm section, the subtle instrumentals sound perfect, the track sounds live, the groove is unbelievable, just perfect.
The Message: intro is perfect, sounds a too loud, the track sounds live, I already prefer the new Pioneer on this track, the bass sounds perfect, vocals are clear and lifelike, vocals are more forward followed by bass and the rest, close to perfect.
The Message II: favourite, intro is perfect, sounds too loud, the vocals are more forward and lifelike, the minimal production accompanied with the electro ‘beeping’ vamp sounds awesome, bass is tight, perfect?
White Lines: intro is perfect, sound level is a bit too loud, I love the bass which is tight and has a low burble, vocals are forward and lifelike followed by bass and rhythm section, the track sounds live and the detail is awesome, the new Pioneer does justice to this track.
NYC Beat: time for house, beats are tight and precise, I hereby declare the CAL!s defeated, cowbells, grinning, vocals are good, bass is tight and fuzzy and hard hitting, I’m loving the bass, guitar sounds awesome, sound effects really work, were the new Pioneer created for house?, climax is perfect, the track sounds live, just perfect.
Around The world: time for some funky robotic house, intro is perfect, bass is tight and fuzzy and hard hitting, beats are tight and precise, funky vamp, I can no longer sit still, the new Pioneer seriously love house, robotic vocals sound true to the record, funky bass!, the track sounds live, climax is perfect, I love the bass burble, the production and little sounds effects sound overwhelmingly fun, speechless, just perfect.
Man With The Red Face: deep house time, intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, the synthesizers and little sounds effects sound amazing, the saxophone really adds to the ‘jazzy’ house vibe, I’m lost for words, beats are tight and precise, percussion sounds lifelike, I’ve just found my headphones for electro and house, perfect.
Bombtrack: deceptive intro sounds perfect, perfect sound level, vocals sounds a bit distant yet live, guitars are more forward followed by vocals and rhythm section at equal footing, from rock to funky breaks to an electric guitar solo it all sounds perfect, instrument separation is impressive for such a dense sounding track, flawless.
Killing In The Name Of: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, vocals sound distant yet live, this track sounds more balanced, better instrument separation, guitars and rhythm section sound perfect, the solo sounds awesome, perfect?
Don’t Worry, If There’s A Hell Below…: bass sounds perfect, intro sounds perfect, I love the sound effects, sound level is perfect, awesome intro, dark bass is prominent followed by the tight rhythm section accompanied by the wah wah effects with Curtis Mayfield somewhere between the bass and the rhythm section, the track sounds live, flawless and maybe better.
We People Who Are Darker Than Blue: laid back intro sounds perfect, sound level is perfect, the vocals are more forward in this track, beautiful transitions, funky break starts good, bass is subtle yet tight, tight rhythm section and horns accompanied by the bass sound funky, transition to slower end sounds beautiful, the merging of the soul groove with classical music sounds unbelievably good, perfect?
Crabbuckit: intro sounds perfect, sounds a bit too loud, vocals sound live, sounds effects, jazzy bass is super tight, transitions sound effortless, beats are tight and precise, the production of the track is really good, just perfect.
So What: time for Miles Davis, beautiful intro, perfect sound level, bass is perfect, rhythm section is tight, the trumpet sounds lifelike, the track sounds live, I just heard something new, the positioning really works on this track, the new Pioneer does justice to this track, perfect?
Time Flies: beautiful intro, perfect sound level, rhythm section and vocals are equally forward, bass is tight and jazzy, the track sounds live, the production is really subtle, perfect?
Mystery Repeats: direct and jazzy and beautiful intro, Hip Hop meets Jazz and Classic, vocals sound very close and live, clipping?, sound level is perfect, the track sounds perfect.
Handel: Variations For Harp: intro sounds perfect, sound level is perfect, the harp sounds live, I hear more other sounds than with the old Pioneers, the transitions sound flawless, the supporting harp plays lower notes?, the lower notes sound tight, perfect?
Boieldieu: Harp Concerto In Three Tempi: intro is perfect, sound level is perfect, the violins sound beautiful, transitions sound swift and effortless, detail, the track sounds live, the track sounds very lively and musical, perfect?
Funky Drummer: time for deep funk, intro sounds perfect, sound level is perfect, horn and guitar vamp are subtle, bass is jazzy and tight, rhythm section is tight, Maceo Parker sounds great, the vocals are somewhat distant yet sound live, the track sounds live, fascinating end, perfect?
Blind Man Can See It: intro sounds perfect, sound level is perfect, bass is subtle yet super tight, rhythm section is tight, simple yet addicting groove, great positioning of instruments which has a very balanced effect, the minimal productions sounds fascinating in the transitions, killer vamp (the end), the new Pioneer does justice to this delicious groove, just perfect.
Excursions, intro sounds perfect, sound level is perfect, forward and live sounding vocals, dark bass and tight rhythm section create an incredibly catchy vibe with a jazzy sound, balanced instrumentals, the track sounds live, just perfect.
Eggman; perfect sounding intro, forward sounding vocals, perfect sound level, funky and tight rhythm section, Jaws sample!, bass is jazzy and funky at the same time, the track sounds live, just perfect.
Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun: intro is impressive, metal like sound, the rock beats sound more forward, lower bass treble sounds really good, bass is really low and tight, the track sounds a bit soft, perfect?
Organ Donor: prepare for the organ!, freaky organ, hard hitting and tight rhythm sections, fat lower bass, positioning and sound effects are awesome, forward sound, the track sounds live, cowbells?, hmmm break beats, just perfect.
Aerials: remarkable track, beautiful intro, sounds a bit too loud, vocals sound forward and live followed by the rhythm section in the middle behind the vocalist and guitars left and right, the sound experience is awesome due to the positioning, instrument separation is still impressive, the track sounds perfect, the instrumental part is really fascinating, rhythm left, flute(s) in the middle?, voices right, the track sounds live and somehow just perfect.
Superstar Part Zero: one of my favourite Hip Hop tracks, intro sounds perfect, sounds a bit too loud, piano vamp, tight hard beats, subtle jazzy bass, forward layered vocals, the track sounds live, creative use of samples, trumpets, complex sounding production with acoustic and vocal samples which is fascinating, the track sounds perfect.

Sony MDR V6
Satsuki: intro is perfect, almost overwhelmingly loud, very forward sound, rhythm section in the middle with guitars left and bass right, more centered positioning, really involving, vocals sound good yet somewhat held back, koto sounds prominent, almost as if the track flies by, I’m not sure what to think about what I just heard.
Omou: the same as ‘Satsuki,’ bass is really filling the track in the lower regions, rhythm section and guitars and vocals sound less present, bass texture is awesome, not flawless but at the moment I’m a bass head, balance is more bass oriented followed by the mid section with clear yet held back highs (the vocalist, check it out), acoustic guitar sounds beautiful, the track sounds good yet unbalanced while still very enjoyable (especially for bass).
Welcome To The Jungle: intro sounds perfect, sound level is perfect, more balanced sound, the guitars on the left and right sound perfect, rhythm section and vocals in the middle sound incredible, the track sounds live, really involving sound, the bass and groove in the last minute of the track made me smile, the V6-es have thing for Guns N’Roses.
Paradise City: intro sounds perfect, I’m thoroughly enjoying this track, balance, the same as ‘Welcome To The Jungle’ regarding comments/observations minus the last minute, bass and guitars shine, a match made in heaven.
Sweet Child O’Mine: sorry I’m speechless, the Pioneers have nothing on the V6-es on the Guns N’Roses tracks, balance, bass texture, guitars and rhythm section sound perfect and Axl Rose somehow just sounds perfect, just perfect.
Chop Suey: intro sounds perfect, sounds almost overwhelmingly loud, for pure involvement and (slight) (im)balance and better low end and impressive instrument separation the V6-es have just made minced meat of the Pioneers.
Toxicity: Sony MDR V6, Awesome!
Apothecaries’ Weight: intro sounds perfect, sound level is perfect, the low end texture really adds to the overall sound of the track, instrument separation is still impressively consistent, the (slight) imbalance with more forward guitars and prominent low end sound is very enjoyable, Sony MDR V6.
50 Million Year Trip: the V6-es do some serious justice to one of my favourite Kyuss tracks, the Pioneers sound good but the V6-es sound so much better here as with the previous track.
Capsized: beautiful acoustics, sound loud and involving without deafening me, no preference.
Tubular Bells 1973 Part One: intro sounds perfect, sound level is perfect, the track sounds more forward, rushed sound yet pleasant sound, bass is subtle yet textured, the track sounds more involving, more prominent low end, the rushed sound makes for a more lively rendering of the track, imbalance, transitions sound flawless, the V6-es really like guitars, after minute 17 the low end really hits your ears and the end starts, the relaxing sound of the old Pioneer sounds better but the lower end texture of the V6-es is awesome. The new Pioneer is the best compromise but its low end doesn’t get close to the awesomeness of the V6-es’ low end.
Op Naar De Mooche: the live sound kicks in right away, sound level is a bit too loud, in your face sound which isn’t deafening but involving, I like sound of the V6-es for it suits the music better, the Pioneers sound too distant compared to the V6-es.
93’Til Infinity: intro sounds perfect, too loud, the track sounds good but the new Pioneer captures the vibe better, bass is perfect, I prefer the ‘Pioneer sound.’
Almyghty Myghty Pythons: intro sounds perfect, sounds too loud, the bass almost ruins the track, the more beats and guitar(?) are more favoured by the rushed sound, O.K.
Mack The Knife: this old jazz recording sounds much more live, I love the bass and rhythm section, Ella Fitzgerald sounds slightly held back?, I’m feeling the swing much more, I have definitely more fun with the V6-es on, lovely piano, I prefer the V6-es for their ‘fun sound.’
Superfly: intro sounds perfect, sounds too loud, in your face sound, the track sounds live, the groovy bass is awesome, involving sound, imbalance, very ‘fun sound’ yet the V6-es don’t do justice to the overall sound of the track with its sound effects.
Bang Bang: intro sounds perfect, too loud, track sounds in your face and live, Nancy Sinatra sounds beautiful, flawless?
Woman To Woman: the track sounds perfect yet too loud, positioning is good, live sound, I really enjoying this track, the bass texture really brings the groove to live, the vocals sound somewhat held back yet forward, close to perfect.
Spooky: the same as ‘Woman To Woman,’ do old pop and rock with bass just sound close to perfect with the V6-es?
Judy In Disguise: again close to perfect, higher paced music sounds better on the V6-es, I’m having fun, too loud that’s all.
Boom Boom: sorry but I’m seriously enjoying this track and comments and observation all lead to one word: perfect.
Letter To Heaven: time for country, a bit too loud and otherwise very involving, the track sounds close to perfect.
Supermassive Black Hole: time for guitar violence, vocals sound live, sounds too loud yet involving, instrument separation is consistently impressive, it’s hard to sit still, close to perfect yet too loud and somewhat imbalanced.
Map Of Problematique: the sound through the V6-es has just the right impact due to the emphasis on guitars and the rhythm section, vocals sound held back yet it works for the overall sound and its impact, close to perfect yet too loud and imbalanced.
Thriller: intro sounds perfect, sounds too loud, MJ sounds more forward, bass vamp, the positioning of the instruments and sound effects could be better, I feel more sound coming in through my right ear which will tire me, clipping, Vincent Price sounds a bit distant yet live, the track sounds close to flawless but the positioning isn’t the best and the track sounds too loud.
Wanna Be Startin’Somethin:’ the same as ‘Thriller’?, I heard new sounds which makes me very happy, bass is perfect, sorry this track sounds better than the previous track, I hear all the details and sound effects, more balanced?, positioning isn’t the best and the track sounds too loud, otherwise flawless.
Human Nature: it’s a slow track yet sounds a bit rushed, the track sounds just as good as the previous track really.
Aisha: time for some jazz, intro sounds perfect, a bit too loud, I hear more than on the Pioneers, the bass sounds jazzy and textured, I like the more forward sound for this track combined with relative loudness of the V6-es, the track sounds live and the positioning works wonderfully good, more balanced, I prefer the V6-es.
T Plays It Cool: intro sounds perfect, sounds a bit too loud, beats and groove are captured perfectly, up tempo break beats sound really good on the V6-es, the track sounds live, a tie between the new Pioneer and the V6-es.
What’s Going On: the track sounds perfect especially with the deeper bass, I love the bass, positioning of the instruments combined with (slightly) held back vocals and beautiful production sounds awesome, the violins sound a bit forward, maybe the new Pioneer is better but the V6-es sound better.
The Message: too loud!, this track sounds perfect, positioning could be better, I love the bass texture, Melle Mel sounds in your face, almost flawless.
The Message II: too loud!, bass is perfect, the same as the previous track: almost flawless.
White Lines: the same as the two previous tracks, instrument separation is consistently impressive, almost flawless.
NYC Beat: time for house, too loud, beats sound tight and precise, clipping?, sound effects and vocals sound good, bass is better than the bass on the new Pioneer, dominant bass, funky guitar lick, not flawless but still very fun sounding, better than the old Pioneers.
Around The World: time for some funky robotic house, too loud, the bass texture is awesome, beats are tight and precise, production and sound effects sound awesome, almost unbearably loud, the V6-es sound like big speakers inches from my ears, almost flawless yet fun sound.
Man With The Red Face: too loud, this track sound wonderful on the V6-es, the layers from the low end up combined with the sound effects and tight rhythm section sound spot on, I don’t even mind the loudness for the track sounds unbelievably good, the saxophone sounds distant yet clear, a tie between the new Pioneer and the V6-es.
Bombtrack: intro sounds perfect, a bit too loud yet very pleasant, vocals sound somewhat held back?, I can finally really hear that subtle bass, positioning could be better, the track sounds live, I definitely prefer the V6-es.
Killing In The Name Of: into sounds perfect, a bit too loud, the texture on the guitars and bass is awesome, the vocals sound a bit held back yet it works for the sound, instrument separation is impressively consistent, the track sounds live, the V6-es somehow sound better than I thought, I love the V6-es on this track.
Don’t Worry, If There’s A Hell Below…: one of the best intros ever, fat textured bass, intro sounds perfect, Curtis Mayfield sounds a bit held back, the bass really adds a to the mood of the track, rhythm section and sound effects sound awesome, positioning could be better, the track sounds more groove/bass oriented which sounds quite good, (slight) imbalance, a tie between the new Pioneer and the V6-es, almost perfect.
We People Who Are Darker Than Blue: intro sounds perfect, bass is slow and textured, vocals sounds a bit held back yet it works, the groove sounds sad, transition to funky part is awesome, I love the bass texture, rhythm section is tight, sounds effect are awesome, the production of this track still amazes me, transition to slow end is beautiful, subtle bass, the track sounds perfect, just perfect.
Crabbuckit: intro sounds perfect, sounds too loud, beats are tight and precise, the bass and guitar almost fuse, bass is deeply jazzy and textured, vocals sound held back, the sound effects and tambourine sound perfect, the overall sound of the track is involving and fun, (slight) imbalance, almost flawless.
So What: intro sounds beautiful, bass sounds fuller and more textured, rhythm section is tight, the groove has a very present low end bass, the solos sound a bit distant yet live, the track sounds so involving that I have to tap my feet, I love the more present swing of the track, piano sounds live, I feel like dancing, the V6-es sound fun and groovy which makes me prefer the V6-es.
Time Flies: beautiful intro, sounds a bit too loud, the subtle rhythm section and details in combination with the deeper textured low end sound incredibly relaxed and groovy, vocals sound just about right although a bit distant, almost perfect.
Mystery Repeats: in your face sound, vocals are more forward, up tempo beats with slow bass in combination with violins creates a catchy hook, a bit too loud, almost perfect due to the rushed sound of the track through the V6-es.
Handel: Variations For Harp: the harps sound beautifully textured, the sound is in your face yet slightly distant, a bit too loud, clipping?, the track sound full and airy(?), live sound, the higher and lower paced parts and transitions between them sound effortless, I really enjoyed the sound.
Boieldieu: Harp Concerto In Three Tempi: high paced intro, the violins sound very vivid, every nuance and transition goes by effortlessly and swiftly, in your face sound yet only a bit too loud, the V6-es sound much more involving and lively compared to the Pioneers, I really enjoy this sound, the V6-es love Classic, perfect?
Funky Drummer: this is a slow track that sounds fast, the bass groove is delicious, rhythm section is tight, guitar vamp, organ, Maceo Parker!, James sounds a bit distant yet live, the track sounds live, there are reasons why I this track is my all time favourite and the V6-es just made me vividly hear why: grooves and break beats, just perfect.
Blind Man Can See It: the V6-es really involve me in my favourite Funk grooves therefore I prefer the V6-es, I love that subtle bass in combination with the rhythm section and guitar vamp.
Excursions: in your face sound, a bit too loud, bass is captured perfectly, rhythm section is tight, vocals sound forward, subtle yet groovy production, I hear more, close to perfect.
Eggman: intro sounds perfect, a bit too loud, bass vamp sounds textured, rushed sound works perfectly, Jaws sample!, vocals and positioning mess with your head, I prefer the involving sound of the V6-es.
Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun: intro sounds perfect, sounds a bit too loud, vocals and positioning mess with your head, distant vocals, the low end has a lot of texture, rhythm section is tight, I like the sound, flawless?
Organ Donor: organ messes with your head, too loud!, tight rhythm section, guitars left and organ right, bass is deep and in the middle, break beats!, dark sounding groove, wicked organ, the track sounds live, rhythm section is in the middle too, the V6-es sound more involving yet don’t deafen me, the V6-es.
Aerials: too loud!, beautiful intro, vocals a bit held back at the expense of the guitars, deep low end, the track sounds rushed, instrumental section starts beautifully, positioning is quite good on this track, better production?, flawless?
Superstar Part Zero: in your face sound, bass is jazzy, held back yet forward vocals, tight and precise beats, high hats?, I hear more, the sound effects and production sound awesome, too loud!, instrument separation is consistently impressive, rushed sound which works with this track, almost flawless due to loudness and imbalance.

In use?
The old Pioneer is built like a tank but well, old and rare so portability is an issue. The weight doesn’t scare me. The weight is still a limiting factor though when using it all day on your head combined with its size and very firm grip on your head. Even my ears need a break with the old Pioneer. For home use the Pioneer is close to perfect. The fact that its grip and condition in my case have some side effects is something I have to live with. Hopefully a repair or similar Pioneer in mint condition are options for later.

The new Pioneer is built like a Toyota Landcruiser compared to the old Pioneer. It’s a lighter version, portable and looks friendlier. Both share a common feature though, your head feels some solid pressure which results in a pause every half hour with the old Pioneer unless I’m thoroughly enjoying my music and a pause every 45 minutes to an hour with the new Pioneers unless… It’s still brand new and the heavy cable is impressive, thank you Pioneer for good and detachable cable. Even though both Pioneers work without amplification, some good power does help to bring the sound to life. My Yamaha MA 10 works and really had effect on the old Pioneer.

The V6-es are comparable with the new Pioneers yet lighter and more flexible which adds to the less tight yet still good grip on your head. For me the V6-es are almost on ear headphones and they fit very snugly around my ears. Your ears are very close to the drivers so long listening sessions at higher volumes or with a lot of bassy and/or beat oriented music will tire you eventually. The softer yet good grip ensures lower pressure which results in much more comfort. A peculiar side effect due to the positioning of instruments on the V6-es is that after a long listen I feel more exerted sound pressure in my right ear. The lower sounds go to the right which can result in a good headache. Music with a lot of bass and/or beats especially can have that effect after a long listen. The cable of the V6 is not detachable and thick and spiraled. The ear pads wear off but if you like the pleather they are perfect.

Conclusion
The old Pioneer, an old heavy headphone has some qualities which make it really special. The way it involves yet lets you hear every possible detail is amazing, especially the positioning of the instruments with some tracks. The old Pioneer shines in slower and mid tempo music and sometimes clips regardless of tempo. The bass is its only weakness in some cases and works very well with older and groove oriented recordings. It may not be the best, its sound is special enough to cause thorough pleasure listening to music to my ears. I can think of myself still having this headphone in the future.

The new Pioneer is a definite improvement, mostly in lightness and sound yet also a bit compromised. For listening to music it delivers good to amazing sound and sometimes has the magic of the old Pioneer. For critical listening I found it a bit less compared to the V6 and the bass is on the new Pioneer is tight and somewhat deep but doesn’t come close the V6 which really textures the bass. The old and new Pioneer both sound relaxing while the V6 has an in your face sound which either works or not. Although the old and new Pioneer involve you, you sometimes want a higher paced sound which the V6 delivers in spades but sometimes misses the essential mood of the track.

The most consistent headphone is the new Pioneer, the best maybe. The old Pioneer has a special sound which sometimes takes you away. The V6 just works perfectly for rock, some old recordings, sometimes live recordings and Funk. Sometimes nothing beats deep textured bass (and a rushed sound). While the old and new Pioneers are more forgiving the V6 just sounds good or doesn’t, ‘Almythy Myghty Pythons’ was O.K. but the bass almost ruined it.

My regards,

Deep Funk

Update 15/03-2010: recently I bought the Philips CD690 and my new Pioneer has been on my head connected to the CD690 a lot lately. I just listened to my old Pioneer with the CD690 and I'm under the impression the CD690 is a better source than the laptop. The Pioneers sound better with the CD690, just as my HD428 does and thereby my laptop as my main source is in the larger part replaced. My next comparative impressions (if any) will probably be made with sound from my CDs in the CD690. Just a small discovery...

Update 24/03-2010: I have to apologize, why? I just listened to some pieces of Miles Davis' 'Bitches Brew' (CD) to compare the new Pioneer with my lately acquired AKG K240 DF. I've come to the conclusion the I made an error of judgement in the conclusion of this comparative impression. The new Pioneer is actually not forgiving for it lets you hear every minute detail if possible and just lets you hear the recording as it was recorded. Even worse, the AKG K240 DF sounds too polite compared too the new Pioneer. I'll dig deeper into this matter...

Update 05/05-2010: again sorry, I made the mistake to call the Pioneer Monitor 10R bass light, it is not. It has ample of bass yet I only found out today. I played 'Angel' by Massive Attack followed by some mean Funk by James Brown & The JB's from 1970. I can not sit still with this music on and Bootsy Collins sounds good. The bassy tracks by Kagrra sound good too, no lack of bass extension or bass definition. The bass does sound better than the bass on the V6. I should find a better method of comparing headphones. I don not like the fact that I made these mistakes comparing headphones.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 39
i wish all reviews were as extensive, but then again i would NEVER be able to make up my mind; right now, it's just close to never...

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 39
good job!
had my eye on the new pioneer for a while now...

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 39
Was having a search and came across this thread. Superb review Deep Funk and a great read.

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 39
A new review will be added soon I think. I must compare that old Yamaha HP1 with my other oldies. According to some the HP1 is somewhat flawed but Rush sounded so much more live. Now for some test tracks... 

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 39
Go for it, you have a lot of music tastes similar to mine. 'Angel' is one of my tester tracks to see if there is distortion with the opening bass line and to see how clearly the 'miaow' sound at 42 seconds comes through.

Both versions of the Monitor 10 are on my wish list.

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 39
Thanks for the detailed review! Been interested in these for a long time. I'm wondering...are the Pioneers closer in sound sig. to the v6 or the DF? I'd love to see some more comparisons of the two Pioneers with the DF. I never found the DF to be overly 'polite'....except maybe in comparison to the v6.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 39
Nope, for some reason the DF just did not sound good on Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" and for some reason my Pioneer Monitor 10R did sound good. I am convinced the new Pioneer is closer to the V6 but better, colder sounding and has sound stage which was tested with the Miles Davis album I mentioned before. Whenever I really want to be sure a track is good as it was recorded, mixed etcetera the new Pioneer is great for close listening, more laid back than the V6 though.  

The old Pioneer however is for me closer to the DF, less polite but brighter. If the old Pioneer had ample of bass like the DF I would not have bought the DF. For me the DF adds a smooth sweetness to the music which makes well recorded music stand out more while gritty and raw sounding music loses some of its edge. Smooth sweetness, colouration whatever you call it the DF should be more neutral/colder sounding to be perfect for me. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 39
My speakers and the v6 are more 'in your face' than the DF. The DF is smoother and I think more true to the recording. If you think the DF is too laid back, you'd hate the k70X. Other than the highs, the rest of the frequency range of the 70X has a more laid back presentation than that of the DF...especially with midrangy instruments, vocals, and drums(snare especially)...too polite, and light and airy, IMO.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 39
Now that you mention it, the DF does sound laid back but that also depends on the recording you are playing. Just so you know, the AKG K701/2 don not interest me. I almost went for the K340 for I prefer the oldies. 

The DF for me is just fine although it adds something to your music which does not always benefit the music. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 39
Just curious...how do you know it's adding something to the recording , and can you describe what it is that you think it's adding?

Quote:
Now that you mention it, the DF does sound laid back but that also depends on the recording you are playing. Just so you know, the AKG K701/2 don not interest me. I almost went for the K340 for I prefer the oldies. 

The DF for me is just fine although it adds something to your music which does not always benefit the music. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:
Just curious...how do you know it's adding something to the recording , and can you describe what it is that you think it's adding?

It is just my ears and my brain, take notice. As I have written before about that 'smooth sweetness' with some recordings it works but my lone Audioslave album just sounded somehow different. The DF is very very neutral but some albums just sound too good or too smooth with a sweet midrange. When certain music sounds too good, should I say eerily perfect with an 'articulated politeness' as if the music is cut in pieces while still sounding enjoyably perfect I just do not like it. Yet my AKG-like sounding JVC HA DX3 did the same although sounding more fun with more textured bass was while being more to my liking.

I like the DF and I slightly detest it. As good as the DF is for me it just sounds too good to be true, at least for me. That is as precise as I can be... (Maybe that is why I for the moment switched to less neutral headphones to enjoy my music more.) 

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #15 of 39
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know if you were speaking objectively or subjectively. Impossible to be completely objective of course. I can very well understand subjectively preferring the v6 over the DF with certain material. Here's an interesting set of opinions on the v6...just goes to show how varied our subjective impressions are: http://www.headphonereviews.org/headphone.php?action=view&headphoneId=74

Users who are viewing this thread

Back