Pioneer Elite DV-47A CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD
May 9, 2002 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
I am starting to look for a new source for home. I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to listen to the Pioneer Elite DV-47A ? Your impressions of this piece?

May 9, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 12
I've been using the 47A for 3 weeks now and am very impressed with it's capabilities and and performance for both audio & video. I have played DVD's, DVD-A, SACD, and redbook CD's in it so far.

First of all, unlike older machines it recognises the type of disc it has in the tray quickly, about 3 sec. The 47a has to be hooked up to a monitor of some sort (computer, TV) to change any settings. If you get the opportunity to trial one these make sure you go through the settings and make sure they are optimum for what you're trialing. For regular CD's set HI-BIT to on and set the Legato Pro filter to Standard (these settings do not effect SACD's or DVD's). This is recommended in the manual but at least one pro review I read was not thrilled with the redbook performance, and he had both of these items set to off. If you are trialing multichannel discs with headphones make sure you set the machine to 2 channel, and unless you have a better store than I did do not rely on the salesperson to know anything about the machine, especially how to set it up. One more thing, in order to understand the different Legato Pro settings you will need the manual.

In my opinion setting the HI-BIT and Legato Pro digital filter on is the difference between a good redbook CD player and an excellent one. Set up correctly the 47 A is an excellent player.

I use this machine about 90% for audio only and have been very pleased. Highly recommended.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 12
I've been thinking about this player for my H/T setup ...(freeing up the 9000es for headphone rig!) but, I coulnd't help noticing that it onlt weighs in at about 10 pounds, sounds like alot of plastic to me .....guess you can't have everything

BTW I saw it recently on audiogon for under $750

May 9, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 12
I'd like to know how this player sounds compared to a Sony 9000. Dan Wright apparently thinks this unit has potential, as he is planning on offering mods for the 47A. What would be interesting is a comparison of a modded 9000 vs a modded 47A...

May 10, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for your nice review, 88Sound.
The Pioneer DV-47A can be had new for ~$750.00.
Dan Wright is going to do one for me later next month. Am in the waiting line now. Once I get it broke in I'll post a review here.

May 10, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Do you know if it has an HDCD chip in it?

It does not have an HDCD chip.
frown.gif
It does have everything else though!
biggrin.gif
and at least an HDCD enhanced CD will play in it, like a regular CD.

Dan H,

I will be very interested in your opinion of the Dan Wright mod once you've had a chance to evaluate it. Will you be evaluating an unmodded 47A before you get it modded? I would be interested in your opinion of the difference.

Thanks

May 11, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 12
John
Dan Wright is a highly respected businessman who modifies stereo equipment. Check out,
http://www.modwright.com/
and
http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forum...um.php?forum=4

Dan will do a level II with Bybee filters and a clock upgrade to the DVD player. At this time he has not established what exactly the level II mods will include.

88Sound
I plan to have the new unit sent directly to Modwright, sorry. I'll post what I think after the mod's.
I will use it as my primary CDP along with video DVD's until early next year. Then I want to get a "good" redbook CDP a Cary or Meridian?
If you don't mind can I PE you early next month as to what your feeling is on the Pioneer then?
Thanks Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back