Pinnacle Vacuum Tubes??
Mar 18, 2011 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gridlock

Head-Fier
I just received the Woo WA6 along with the tube upgrades, which includes a pair of Pinnacle 6DR7 power tubes as an upgrade to the Tung-Sol 6CY7.  Anyone heard of Pinnacle vacuum tubes?  There are no markings either on the box or on the tube to suggest where they are made.  Are they a good tube?

Thanks

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
I just received the Woo WA6 along with the tube upgrades, which includes a pair of Pinnacle 6DR7 power tubes as an upgrade to the Tung-Sol 6CY7.  Anyone heard of Pinnacle vacuum tubes?  There are no markings either on the box or on the tube to suggest where they are made.  Are they a good tube?

Thanks

IIRC Pinnacle was a kind of European broker or re-boxer operation back when a tube was just a tube ... they would pick up big stocks of tubes from random European and Russian manufacturers, sometimes from military surplus, relabel them "Pinnacle", and then sell them into the trade via mom-and-pop stores.  So they're a bit of a crapshoot ... some were excellent items, some weren't, depending on the source and the batch received.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 5
     Quote:
IIRC Pinnacle was a kind of European broker or re-boxer operation back when a tube was just a tube ... they would pick up big stocks of tubes from random European and Russian manufacturers, sometimes from military surplus, relabel them "Pinnacle", and then sell them into the trade via mom-and-pop stores.  So they're a bit of a crapshoot ... some were excellent items, some weren't, depending on the source and the batch received.

Wow, that's interesting.  It's quite strange that there is no way to determine their source.  I left a message for Jack and Woo Audio asking about these tubes which he provided, but a little surprised that he would choose these if the source cannot be verified, although I suppose he could listen to each pair to judge for himself, but don't know if he does this.

I tried searching the internet on Pinnacle Vacuum Tubes, but absolutely nothing relevant came up, which is also odd.

Thanks for the info.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 5
^^ I didn't mean to worry you.  It's possible - easy, even - for an expert like Jack to determine the identity of the tube visually.  He's probably passing on only the good stuff.  Which is great - the best NOS bargains are always the premium-but-rebranded items.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
^^ I didn't mean to worry you.  It's possible - easy, even - for an expert like Jack to determine the identity of the tube visually.  He's probably passing on only the good stuff.  Which is great - the best NOS bargains are always the premium-but-rebranded items.

Ah, no worries!  Just curious.  The power tube upgrade was not expensive, but trying to understand where these tubes fit in the performance scheme of things, and whether it would be worth exploring other NOS options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back