Pinkie mod: warning
Jul 18, 2006 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kees

Headphoneus Supremus
I am a long time fan of my HD650/X-can v3 combo. I (still) think it does exceptionally well.
But you know .....
I suddenly needed an Equinox cable. That was good. Expensive, but good...
A bit better control in the bass department. A bit more forward in the midrange. A somewhat livelier overall representation.

Next I thought I needed maybe other tubes. So I tried some. Mullards: GOOD, warm, but a bit wobbly in the lower regions. Philips Miniwatt SQ: Fast, clean, but a bit too cold to my taste. Then came the Russians: 6N23-EB. Great. Controlled bass, speed and great detail.

Well, I guess you know what happend next. Some delicate hints from Mrarroyo (amongst others) showed me the inevitability of the Pinkie Mod.

I like to compliment myself for knowing when to step back and let somebody take over who realy knows his business.
cool.gif

PinkFloyd knows his business.
So I sent the PCB of my X-can to Schotland, Mike did the mod and sent them back.
Top Class, nothing less.

I have been listening to my Pinkie mod now for the past two weeks.
In short:
More detail in every region.
Lower bass.
Exceptional ease in the total representation.

Am I thrilled now?
I should be. The mod is everything I could have hoped for...

But here is what happened:
My HD650/Equinox was plugged in and was REALY shining. Happy. Big smile.
biggrin.gif
Lots of music. Victory dance (easy now).

Then I plugged in my Victor/HP DX1000.
??!!!!@#$#@%%^&**##@@!!!!!!!!!!!!

I changed back to my HD650. Nice.......
NICE????????
Yes: nice. Realy .....nice.

What the Pinkie mod did to the DX1000 is unbelievable.
The DX1000 already had LOADS of bass, but now it is controlled and detailed.
The music has body now. Form and substance. You can actually touch it. It is so much like you are there that it is sometimes scary. It is so life-like that I am still in awe of it.
I am too shocked for a Victory dance.

I have to get used to the idea.
The King is dead.
Long live the king.
blink.gif

So, you want an insanely well sounding mod done on your X-can?
Beware of what you ask for: you might get it.

[size=x-small]it feels sort of empty here, without my Senns. They're still there, but they are not......Thanks a million Mike......[/size]

Jul 18, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 9
Two words - PINKIE RULES. That is all.
lambda.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 9
Just do it... you won't be disappointed and you won't look back - guaranteed!

And... you won't recognize your XCAN v3 afterwards... or, any of your headphones for that matter!

It just gets better and better with burn in.

And... it seems to take the "edge" off the Grados - which is about all they needed. I'm beginning to think the RS-1's are now tops in the up to $700 price range.

But... we'll see if the HD650's can keep up, with another cable change - perhaps the Headphile Black Silver, or Zu to add a bit more clarity.

For now... though it seems the RS-1's have eclipsed them - simply incredible detail, texture and presence.

GF2

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 9
I wonder how the PinkFloyd modded X-Can compares to the Mapletree Earpurist + HD ...

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
I wonder how the PinkFloyd modded X-Can compares to the Mapletree Earpurist + HD ...

A comparison should be able to be done at the upcoming Netherlands mini meet.

Also very interested in the Xcan V3. Due to all the great reviews about it floating around, I can't wait to hear it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide

Funny you should ask
rolleyes.gif
I have both
biggrin.gif

The modded X-Can V3 is an outstanding amp, and a bargain even after the mods and new tubes (Russian 6H23-EB). They make my HD600 and K701 sing. If you have either of those cans you will love it. It also does a very good job with the RS-1 but in my opinion the RS-1 just loves the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD.

The bass is punchy and tight, the music is very detailed and airy. I just love the combination of Grado and Mapletree.

Jul 19, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 9
Congrats on finding not only a great upgrade for your X-Cans amp, but also a magical combo for the JVC DX-1000's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back