Pink Noise Burn-In?
Jun 22, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, why Pink for the burn in? Why not white or brown? Is there any particular reasoning?

Pink noise has the same amount of noise in each octave, while white noise has the same amount of noise across all frequencies.

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink noise has the same amount of noise in each octave, while white noise has the same amount of noise across all frequencies.

Is there any significance to the difference in sound and in frequency responses between white and pink I'm seeing in my player?

Pink is even across the frequencies whereas white has a slight upwards incline throughout all frequencies and my ears are inclined to agree.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardbop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any significance to the difference in sound and in frequency responses between white and pink I'm seeing in my player?

Pink is even across the frequencies whereas white has a slight upwards incline throughout all frequencies and my ears are inclined to agree.

Pink noise is perceived as even across the frequencies, but actually thins out a lot the higher you go in frequency. Also notice that on frequency response charts or equalizers, the higher frequencies get "closer" together, this is because the audio spectrum is not linear but logarithmic. White noise has a linear distribution across the frequencies, which gives it much more perceived presence in the higher frequencies.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #19 of 46
Ah ha!
So Pink is an even distribution as far as the human ear hears it and White is an even distribution mathematically.

Am I correct?

How does Brown noise figure in then?

I knew that White had more highs than Pink and Pink more highs than Brown, but I hadn't hear any specific reasoning behind it.

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #20 of 46
This page should answer some of your questions: http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/noise/download.html

I found that in another thread.... Now I've got a minute of pink, a minute of white, and a minute of brown noise all in one burn-in mp3 so that I can just repeat those three.

I certainly don't see how you can go wrong with all three!!

My question is why pink noise over white noise for burn in? Seems like it would "burn-in" a bit more since it's got all frequencies and such...

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Schu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm completely stunned.
basshead.gif
The highs are now there and the low end has cleaned itself up. I never would have believed it if I didn't try it. I don't know how well this works on other types of headphones, but it sure did wonders for these. Maybe I should have tried this on the Vibes before retuning them?

The CK-7 does benefit alot from burn-in.
I only sensed noticeable difference in about 1-2 months of regular listening, and it just gets better and better.
Not a pair of phones that will sound good out of the box.
But the mids and highs do perform rather well, after some time.

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by corsair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CK-7 does benefit alot from burn-in.
I only sensed noticeable difference in about 1-2 months of regular listening, and it just gets better and better.
Not a pair of phones that will sound good out of the box.
But the mids and highs do perform rather well, after some time.

Good to hear Corsair. I'm going to continue the burn-in process but I'm already pretty happy with the sound. I want to compare these with the X3's but they haven't shown up yet.

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah ha!
So Pink is an even distribution as far as the human ear hears it and White is an even distribution mathematically.

Am I correct?

Yes, that is a very good way to put it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by axiom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pink is actually even energy per octave (flat on a logarithmic scale), white is even power in each given Hz interval (flat on a linear scale). This page should help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise

Gatsu, you are describing grey noise (even loudness to the human ears).

Interesting, ya learn something new every day. That grey noise seems to almost be pink noise with the loudness button on.
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #28 of 46
actually I'm also curious about how the pink noise do good job on burning in the cans.But does it required to burn in 100-300 hours with pink noise to complete the burn in process?

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

actually I'm also curious about how the pink noise do good job on burning in the cans.But does it required to burn in 100-300 hours with pink noise to complete the burn in process?

It depends on the phones. On the extreme, many have observed that the K701 has break-in of around 300+ hours; Ultrasone quotes its break-in time as under 70. And of course, with many IEMS, there's none at all.

For additional break-in facts, see my signature below.

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #30 of 46
i just did 4 hours of pink noise on my CK7... now the RHS sounds crisp, but has less bass than the Left canal. Its unbalanced now! Does continual break-in of the CK7 fix this problem up? I don't like the left channel having less clarity and more bass than the right channel.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back