pink noise burn-in only deteriorated SQ on planar!?
Nov 29, 2017 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

100+ Head-Fier
I didnt actually believe burn-in would have any effect but since Hifiman recommends 150 hours of use for the 400i to sound their best I wanted to give it a shot.

I left my he400i playing pink noise overnight at slightly higher than normal levels and to my dismay I think it has actually deteriorated the sound quality!

I cant compare without a time machine so I have no way to know for sure but Ive been examining a lot of test tracks I used and Im feeling like the headphones are a lot 'looser' sounding . there seems to be a big drop in dynamics. Less sparkle in highs (vocals lost their magic), more pronounced bass with less texture, poorer overall seperation. The mids seem fuller and may actually sound a bit better but it doesnt make up for everything else...

has something like this happened to anyone else? was 12 hours of uninterrupted pink noise too aggressive of a burn in, particularly for the thin and delicate diaphragm of a planar?
alternatively, are some headphones more susceptible to changes in sound sig from being used?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back