Pink Floyd.... wow just wow....
Oct 11, 2004 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

llmobll

500+ Head-Fier
Why didn't anyone tell me Pink Floyd was so good? huh? why? I haven't been this impressed with a CD since I first heard Shpongle. Although they are different genres, I am completely blown away! I got a hold of this BEST OF CD and well I can't put it down, or turn it off, whatever. Echoes is by far my fav right now.

Edit: For my psychedelic friends: "Keep Talking" is def. worth listening to.

Oct 11, 2004 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by llmobll
Edit: For my psychedelic friends: "Keep Talking" is def. worth listening to.

That beginning is absolutely beautiful. You should also listen to "Marooned" off the Division Bell album, pure genius
eek.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 43
agreed!

Oct 11, 2004 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 43
One of the few band that you have to get "every" album of. I don't think I even have a favourite, just preferred albums for different moods: for example:

final cut: reflective
Dark side of the moon: mellow
Meddle: thoughtful
Wish you were here: musical
Division Bell: political
The Wall: radical

Just to name a few...

Oh and don't forget some of the band members solo albums. A must have is Wet Dreams by Richard Wright. Wow... its just "super mellow".

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Oct 11, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

I got a hold of this BEST OF CD and well I can't put it down, or turn it off, whatever.

Pink Floyd is well known for creating masterpiece concept albums. "The Best Of" collections do not do Floyd justice.

Oct 11, 2004 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Pink Floyd is well known for creating masterpiece concept albums. "The Best Of" collections do not do Floyd justice.

Agreed. The "Best Of" collection can only be viewed as a sampler - you have to listen to their complete albums to truly appreciate the beauty and diversity of their music.

Oct 11, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 43
Proof. Quote:

Why didn't anyone tell me Pink Floyd was so good? huh? why?

Sorry.

Oct 11, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

I got a hold of this BEST OF CD and well I can't put it down, or turn it off, whatever.

I'd suggest binning it my friend. I'm serious, there is no such thing as a "best of" Pink Floyd......... each album is an entity, a concept and a meaningful whole...... to chop parts out of a masterpiece and bastardise it into a "best of" meaningless freak show is sick IMO and you will never understand the meaning of their work if you listen to bastardised snippets of their modern day symphonic masterpieces.

Bin that sampler and go buy dark side of the moon as a starter work..... if you're excited by that "best of" crud you'll cream your pants listening to DSOTM.

Sorry if I'm not politically correct but pink floyd's creations cannot be condensed into a ****** "best of" compilation and that is a FACT.

Oct 11, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 43
Yeah, but if it turns even one person on, it's a good place to start.

Are you saying A Collection of Great Dance Songs isn't wonderful?

I agree that the albums are key, but to say that individual songs cannot carry their weight out of context isnt entirely accurate, now is it? That is, in effect, what you are implying.

Oct 11, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 43
I agree with the lot. A best-of is a terrible idea for pink floyd, especially because it's the ALBUM that's good, not the songs. Usually, there are only 1-4 songs per album but they are split into multiple tracks.

Each and every Floyd album is a masterpiece, all crafted in different ways. You have to listen to the entire album, straight through, to get the "Floyd Experience".

Oct 12, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 43
Now that my vinyl rig is up and running, while I'm waiting for my main rig to come home I think i'll do some shopping for the definitive DSOTM platter. Hmm, well maybe not THE best, since my rig isn't set up for the best lol. Let's say, the most bang for the buck vinyl.

Oct 12, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #12 of 43
i think a "best of" album is the best way to get in to any band. even pink floyd. But if you like it for the love of god, get some more.

My favorite album, of all time infact, was Pink floyd's "The Wall", i think that is the best place to start looking at pink floyd, followed by wish you were here, animals, and the darkside of the moon.

I currenlty have 14 of their albums, and love each one.

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Sorry if I'm not politically correct but pink floyd's creations cannot be condensed into a ****** "best of" compilation and that is a FACT.

Right On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 12, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I agree with the lot. A best-of is a terrible idea for pink floyd, especially because it's the ALBUM that's good, not the songs. Usually, there are only 1-4 songs per album but they are split into multiple tracks.

Each and every Floyd album is a masterpiece, all crafted in different ways. You have to listen to the entire album, straight through, to get the "Floyd Experience".

depends on the album really. albums like wish you were here, the division bell, a momentary lapse of reason, even meddle to an extent and some others.. are song-centric enough to not require you to listen to the entire album all the way through to 'get it'.

in fact, i'd say some of their albums are quite lacking.. namely the division bell, more, and a momentary lapse of reason. these aren't "bad" albums by definition (though More comes close), just lacking. i don't think much of their post-waters material deserves the title of 'masterpiece' at all. but then for every flawed album.. you have albums like wish you were here, darkside of the moon, piper at the gates of dawn, and animals that pretty much close the gap.

but yeah, a greatest hits compilation isn't a complete failure for pink floyd, because there are many individually outstanding songs spread throughout their recordings that manage to carry the moods, tones, and textures of entire albums even when taken out of context.. and while it's true that roger waters' mind is something that doesn't really come out at you unless you do listen to the complete work, it doesn't apply to every album. so don't feel too bad about that BEST OF cd, just seems like the pure elitists are at work here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back