Pink Floyd: post interpretations of any of their songs here!
Mar 1, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #17 of 22
When I was around 11 or 12, my cousin bought me THE WALL for Christmas. I got into it immediately, and really started to be effected by the music. I had my own storyline in my head for what was going on, and when I finally got to see the movie, I was pretty amazed at how close I was in several spots. I can't recall too many of those early interpretations, but I just remember crying during the part in "Comfortably Numb"

when I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse
out of the corner of my eye,
I turned to look but it was gone,
I cannot put my finger on it now,
the child has grown,
the dream is gone

For some reason that part aways seemed incredibly sad. There are times when you think you have it all figured out, and you think you have the answer, only to have it snatched away... and you struggle to remember what it was that was taken away.

It's just a shame that the song was nearly ruined by oversaturation (same with pretty much the whole WISH YOU WERE HERE album, I really can't listen to it anymore).

The ending part, right after the Wall comes down, used to just destroy me. And I much prefer the spoken version to the sung version in the movie. But I still maintain that THE WALL is one of the greatest musical achievements of the 20th century. Right up there with the best works in any genre, classical, popular, jazz or whatever.

-jar

Mar 4, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond
i don't do drugs, and i'm really curious as to why floyd is often considered music for "stoners".

Yeh, weird isn't it, real Floyd fans drink tea and eat biscuits when they're listening.... you know Sid Barret used to get off on Candy and currant buns? Drugs and Floyd?? Noooo...... cup of tea and a bun gets me there
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #20 of 22
I've read that "Wish You Were Here" and "Dark Side of the Moon" were written as a tribute to Syd Barrett. Put yourself in their shoes ... your a band with some success, but not yet world class and the founder can't continue with the band because of his mental state. And then you make it BIG!

Listening to the songs as a message from the band to the ex-member under these conditions somehow makes it a bit more understandable. This isn't a song for song breakdown, but rather the albums as a whole.

My 2 cents

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
I didn't figure this out until I saw the documentary DVD, but DSOTM is definitely about life:

Speak To Me -- communication
Breathe -- sort of the "title track", not really about any one aspect
On The Run -- transportation
Time -- uh...time
Great Gig in the Sky -- religion
Money -- uh...'commerce'
Us & Them -- war/violence/crime/politics
Any Colour You Like -- visuals
Brain Damage/Eclipse -- left as exercises for the reader

Note: the words I use are the closest to the concept in the English language, the songs aren't that specifically about those things, the songs themselves are more canonical than that.

It's like if you were to divide life up into a pie chart, then they tried to encapsulate every major piece of the pie. They forgot, however, eating/food/olifactory satisfaction/whatever.

And sex. Well, maybe.

I've also heard Rick Wright comment on Great Gig in the Sky, saying it represented a transformation into the stage of death. I agree, DSOTM is about living, but death is a big part of living. There is a lot you can learn from the process.

Mar 4, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
People on crack playing with sound effects in a studio.

Sacrelige!! It was acid not crack!!
And isn't DSOTM about a girl who gets slurrped by a tornado?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back