Pink Floyd : Echoes
Nov 10, 2002 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cyanide

Head-Fier
Has anyone who owns this best of 2 cd set listened to "another brick in the wall" that comes right before the song Echoes? Does it seem to you that this recoding has binaural elements to it? Especialy with the children playing in the yard and the army soldiors yelling stuff......

Any comments on how good/bad this recording is compared to the originals are welcomed...

Nov 10, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't have the album, but I downloaded some of the 160kpbs MP3s from the Pink Floyd website right before Echoes was released. The improvement in sound quality is apparent in comparison to the CD versions. It's basically what you'd expect in an entirely reworked remaster -- the instruments sound much more precise, clean, and separated. The frequency extension seems to be improved both ways. Generally sounds much better.

I don't usually listen to music on my computer over headphones, but I'll give it a try and see if I hear the binaural effects you mentioned.

kerely

Nov 10, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 8
I have the 4-LP set of this and yes the ending of 'Another Brick In The Wall' is very good on headphones.

I would bery much doubt if it was binaural, but has some spatial effects mixed in. The children do sound very life like and the fella shouting "You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat. If you don't eat your meat how can you have any pudding?" was amusing to say the least.

The later stuff on that album is has more spatial effect to it than say Arnold Layne or See Emily Play.

I must admit to having listened to this album over and over again many time, during the past month or so. Don't you just love the track "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".

If you're interested in Pink Floyd, it may also be worth listening to some of the stuff from The Alan Parsons Project, who many consider to be almost a fifth member of Floyd due to his large involvement in creating their unique sound and capturing it for all to listen to. I Robot is a great album, as is Pyramid and Eve.

FWIW, the remastering was done with the technical assistance of one Tim De Paravincini of EAR (esoteric audio research) fame.

Original analogue 1/2" tapes were played back using custom tape machines built by The Mastering Lab and Tim De Paravicini.
Custom tube EQ units were also bult by Esoteric Audio Research.
24bit A/D converters were from dB technoilogies fed into a SADiE workstation. Perhaps most highbrow were monitoring DACs by dCS.

Sound As Ever.

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
IIf you're interested in Pink Floyd, it may also be worth listening to some of the stuff from The Alan Parsons Project, who many consider to be almost a fifth member of Floyd due to his large involvement in creating their unique sound and capturing it for all to listen to. I Robot is a great album, as is Pyramid and Eve.

I must concur that "I Robot" is an incredible album. My dad got the album, yes album, when it first came out and I have loved it since the first listen. It was definitely way ahead of it's time when released. The music, vocals, and effects are really good. A definite A list album in my book.

Lord Bless

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 8
i must admit that "shine on you crazy diamond" is my fave also....
I have the original CD (made in 1975 or there abouts) and it sounds to me like its been recorded from a record/vnyl source....
anyone else get that impression with the new "remastered" version in Echoes?

Nov 12, 2002 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 8
I spent an hour at Borders comparing the original Dark Side of the Moon, to Echoes, to the Live album, to the Dance Collections.

believe it or not i preferred The Dance Collection remaster, especially on the track "Money". better presence, better transients, better soundstage, better dynamics. picked it up. good stuff.

obviously the sampler doesn't give you the full song. and listening through Koss TD60's was a study in frustration and pain. but at least it's there, thank god.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back