Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread
Apr 5, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #31 of 40
Since Pink Floyd is my all time favorite, I had to post.

Someone above offered the opinion that PF was one of the most influential bands of all time. I never saw it that way. In fact, I have always had the opposite impression. I have yearned for the sound of Pink Floyd for over 20 years now, but have never heard anything close, assuming you discount the more "pop" numbers on "The Wall."

Given how beloved Pink Floyd was (and is) by so many, I have often wondered in frustration why they were not more overtly influential.

Now, I'm not a musician so I can't say how Pink Floyd's music may have influencd individual musicians in developing their art, but I have yet to hear music from anyone that comes close to the style and depth of Pink Floyd's work (particularly Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals).

If I'm missing something, please suggest titles. I'll buy cd's based on reccomendations of any hardcore Floyd fan if you tell me it's similar. Thanks.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbamc119
Make sure you check out the high res dvda mlp version of Dark side that has shown up recently. Some say it's better than the SACD.
PM me.

Ive heard the sacd through R10's at the Sony building in Ginza and thought that it was so-so. maybe i wasnt used to hi-fi or whatever. I listened for probably close to an hour to try and get an idea as to why these things cost what they do. i didnt get it i guess.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
Since Pink Floyd is my all time favorite, I had to post.

Someone above offered the opinion that PF was one of the most influential bands of all time. I never saw it that way. In fact, I have always had the opposite impression. I have yearned for the sound of Pink Floyd for over 20 years now, but have never heard anything close, assuming you discount the more "pop" numbers on "The Wall."

Given how beloved Pink Floyd was (and is) by so many, I have often wondered in frustration why they were not more overtly influential.

Now, I'm not a musician so I can't say how Pink Floyd's music may have influencd individual musicians in developing their art, but I have yet to hear music from anyone that comes close to the style and depth of Pink Floyd's work (particularly Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals).

If I'm missing something, please suggest titles. I'll buy cd's based on reccomendations of any hardcore Floyd fan if you tell me it's similar. Thanks.

Being "Influenced" by and being "Similar" to are completey different things.
You say at the beginning of the post that you believe the opposite is true with regard to PF being the most influential band of all time, and then go on to say that you have not been able to find anything that sounds close to them.
I dont think one has anything to with the other.
In my mind, PF is easily one of the most influencial bands in history-regardless of whether we ever anything remotely similar.

As far as bands who I believe have adopted a somewhat similar "style" of play, then try anything and everything by Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Muse and even some Coldplay.

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #34 of 40
I will always find it funny how overrated Head-Fi makes Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd is a magnificent classic rock band. They cleared the path for the 'psychedelic' music of the seventies. They were a fantastic group up until after The Wall. After that, Roger Waters simply took too much control, and the magic was lost.

But... best rock band ever? Best talent of the 60s-70s? You guys have to be joking. This is coming from a HUGE fan too! I have every album by them. My favorites are the entire range between Piper at the Gates of Dawn to Dark Side of the Moon. I simply can't choose one album because they're all so brilliant in their own way. BUT. BUT! BUT! Then you realize that people like Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Todd Rundgren, Traffic, Yes, and Jethro Tull existed, and they simply have much better musical ability than Pink Floyd.

Are Pink Floyd the best rock band ever? Obviously, THAT is debateable. It would be tricky for me to say that Pink Floyd is better than, say, The Beatles, but they're definitely up there. I think a lot of you have to come back down to earth and realize that there's a lot of Classic Rock music that you probably don't know about, that is better than Pink Floyd, is much more musically adept (seriously, Roger and Nick are not the best of musicians - only Dave saves them!), and deserves just as much opportunity as Pink Floyd does. I ponder how somebody can possibly listen to The Wall more than twenty times without going insane. It's not a masterpiece - it's an album!

The proof is in the sales. Almost 60% of Pink Floyd buyers today are new listeners (aka kids and young adults). Only 2% for acts like CCR and Neil Young. People somehow get so caught up in the whole psychedelia/slow-moving-progressions thing that they forget that Classic Rock is made up of more than just Pink Floyd.

I don't mean to thread crap; Pink Floyd deserves the best of recognition for their accomplishments in the rock and roll field. However, I think that you guys are kind of kissing their asses a bit too much. There's other musicians just as worthy of this kind of praise, but it harly goes noticed on Head-Fi.

Back to the show
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #35 of 40
The band is great, I adore their music. But then again...the lunatic is in my head.
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #36 of 40
Aman said:
I think a lot of you have to come back down to earth and realize that there's a lot of Classic Rock music that you probably don't know about, that is better than Pink Floyd, is much more musically adept...
Aman said:
Better than the Floyd?!..That's impossible!
eggosmile.gif

Aman said:
The proof is in the sales. Almost 60% of Pink Floyd buyers today are new listeners (aka kids and young adults). Only 2% for acts like CCR and Neil Young.
Aman said:
Well, Neil Young is still making music as Neil Young. I think a more interesting comparison would be to David Gilmour and Roger Waters as solo artists. I see your observation above as more testament to the greatness of PF - their appeal and impact across generations and demographic groups.

Aman said:
There's other musicians just as worthy of this kind of praise, but it harly goes noticed on Head-Fi.
Aman said:
Of, c'mon! I hardly doubt it.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #37 of 40
I definitely appriciate PinkFloyd who is a great guy. Bought a set a cables from Mike. He was great with the communications and shipped very promptly. The cables came quickly despite coming from St. Andrews to NYC. Highly recommended seller and great member of Head-Fi!

Oh wait, you guys mean the band? In that case they are good too. I have DSotM, which is a seminal recording for sure.

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Being "Influenced" by and being "Similar" to are completey different things.
You say at the beginning of the post that you believe the opposite is true with regard to PF being the most influential band of all time, and then go on to say that you have not been able to find anything that sounds close to them.
I dont think one has anything to with the other.
In my mind, PF is easily one of the most influencial bands in history-regardless of whether we ever anything remotely similar.

As far as bands who I believe have adopted a somewhat similar "style" of play, then try anything and everything by Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Muse and even some Coldplay.

Kwitel,
I realized I was articulating my point poorly when I was posting it, but I was sleepy.
580smile.gif

I wouldn't go so far as to say that influence and similarity are completely apples & oranges, but I do see and appreciate your point. I guess what I was trying to say was that I wish PF influence was more evident, i.e., more music that reminds me of Floyd.

Thanks for the reccomendations. I am somewhat familiar with Muse and Radiohead, love Coldplay, but haven't given Porcupine Tree a listen yet. I will now.

Concerning the posts of others about whether or not PF was the greatest "rock & roll" band or whatever, I think you are missing the boat. Pink Floyd, to me, is almost like a different art form than music, and I never really thought of it as rock and roll or any other genre for that matter. Rock and Roll was the Stones, Zepplin, etc. Floyd was (and remains) magic to be enjoyed solo or with close friends who appreciated the experience. I wish there was a genre Floyd fit in, because that would mean by definition there would be more "music" like it, which was the point I struggled to make.

Take Dark Side for example; it tells a story, and does so in an extraordinarily innovative way. The tracks on Dark Side are not like individual "songs" to me, with the possible exception of my least favorite (Money). I don't think I've ever just listened to a single track from Dark Side; I have to listen to the whole work. I can't listen to it in I-Tunes on my I-Pod because the tracks are out of order, which drives me nuts.

I'm probably babbling again; still sleepy. It's all just subjective opinion, and it's all good. Now, I think I'll pop in Wish you were here and crash.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #40 of 40
Sorry, this is an old and very dead, thread. If someone wishes to start a similar thread to renew the conversation, please feel free to do so, but I'm going to close this one. Otherwise, people just get frustrated when they see others responding to 2+ year old posts as though it's still an active conversation.

I guess you could say this has now officially become a Pink Floyd depreciation thread. Certainly, the band (and their music) is old enough to have depreciated much more significantly than many who posted in this dusty old thread would have us believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back