"Pimp My Ride" on MTV
Apr 2, 2004 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
I love that stupid show. I can't stop watching and I actually Tivo every one. They do some really goofy stuff to people's cars but the changes are astonishing. The show with the big Caddy is the best one but the new one with the van is nearly as cool. I'm waiting for them to do an older Mercedes or BMW. I've never seen one of those "pimped out" and the guys at West Coast Customs know how to get that "Pimp look". I hate the look but it's stinkin' hilarious to see them do it to somebody's car. Have you seen how bad some of these cars when they start with them. That one Honda was a total wreck. I would love to see somebody I know get their ride "pimped"

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 18
I've seen that show several times. It's entertaining to a certain point, but nowhere near how entertaining Monster Garage is on Disc. Channel. Kind of seems like a rip-off too, considering the good ratings that Monster Garage was getting. It would be nice if it was one hour, so much more detail can be shown (destruction of the car, etc...) Anyway, somehow the show is appealing to me for no particular reason.

One thing I hate about the show is the screaming... god take that out.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 18
I agree that Monster Garage was better, but man is Pimp my Ride a fun show. I'd love to get my old beater on it.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 18
My friend has the perfect car for that show. I wonder how you get intact with the MTV folks?

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 18
I see Monster Garage as more about the characters and Pimp more about the car and the transformation. They give the crew gifts at the end of Monster and during the show you see all the personalities interacting. On Pimp you see the car coming apart and going back together and the reaction of the owner afterwards. I'm glad they did't call it "Extreme Makeover:car edition" or something stupid like that. "Pimp My Ride" is such an original name and describes exactly what they do to the vehicles. The Reaction the Crew at the shop have to some of the junk they bring in is hilarious.

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
Sort of like "Queer Eye for the G** Ride"?

Mitch

Let's play nice.

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 18
pimp?

confused.gif

Do they give you a couple of wh***s to start your new career at the end?

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 18
Tuberoller,

Near LA a few years back I saw an old style pimped out Mercedes SL-500 on the freeway. The thing was lowered, had huge rubber, flares, painted black with a serious case of the "gold package" and the name plate had been changed to SL-1000. Very cool in certain kind of way.

I like the new hot rod show, where they film the crew at Boyd Coddington making custom rides. That all aluminum roadster was really nice. But it sure looks like the guys in the shop all hate each other. Kind of soap opera-ish. Kinda fun though.

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 18
Tuberoller,

I saw the episode with the old '92 Honda Civic. I'm not a big fan of the 'pimp look' for autos either, but I would have liked to have the Honda, without the icky color, the sh***y bass-infested sound system, and the cheesy spoiler. The lambroghini doors on a civic! I think that's what won me over. Definitely a cool show.

*edited for language by mod* censorship Nazis at work

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 18
hey Guru,

Where you been?

I would like to have seen them burn that Civic,but that's just me. I got a buddy who has a 1982 jag XJ6 and that thing is dying to be pimped in the worse way.

Did you here them say they spent $20,000 on that stupid Hi-jet van? That was insane and the three TV monitors and DVD changers was super-stupid. I laughed so hard I hawked a loogey when I saw that thing rolling on those huge wheels. I think they try to make the cars look a bit goofy just to be nit-wits about it.

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 18
I didn't have high hopes, but I watched one and liked it enough to watch a couple more after that. I like how they take a car that is just a total piece and make it interesting and almost nice (in a pimped out ride sort of way). I also like how they try to do something unique for the cars so that every one isn't just "Bright metallic paint, put on 22's, pair of 12's in the trunk, some extra chrome, new seats, done." I thought it was interesting that (the ones I watched) didn't show ANY work done under the hood. I had to wonder about that, since with the condition some of those cars were in, you had to imagine there might be mechanical issues. It struck me as funny that they might spend thousands on bodywork and interior without even touching the driveline. Sputter sputter, bang! Yeah, but LOOK at my ride!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back