Pimeta vs. Go-Vibe?
May 26, 2005 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone done this face-off yet? I'm debating the purchase of a Go-Vibe w/ AD8066 opamp to see how it fares versus my JMT Pimeta (AD8620, single buffers, biased to class A). Both are single 9V amps, the Go-Vibe getting around 7080 hours battery life, the Pimeta is more around 12 hours.

I know $70 isn't much to plunk down on an amp to test, but I'm just curious to see if anyone's already pitted them against each other and what the results were. For battery life, the Go-Vibe obviously wins, but I'm really interested to see if the Pimeta is a good deal better with regard to sound quality.

I've been using KSC-75's, HD280's and DT770-80's, so nothing too hard to drive...

May 26, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 4
I have the Go-Vibe with the AD8620, a JMT Pimeta with the AD8620, and a Shellbrook Maxi Moy with (I think) dual OPA227s. I've listened to each out of my 0404 but haven't done any serious comparisons...I can tell you that they ALL sound good to me, but I don't have the most critical ear. I tend to listen to/enjoy music, not analyze it. That, along with the fact that I don't have any experience with the AD8066, probably eliminates me from being the best resource of information on this subject.
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
I have the Go-Vibe with the AD8620, a JMT Pimeta with the AD8620, and a Shellbrook Maxi Moy with (I think) dual OPA227s. I've listened to each out of my 0404 but haven't done any serious comparisons...I can tell you that they ALL sound good to me, but I don't have the most critical ear. I tend to listen to/enjoy music, not analyze it. That, along with the fact that I don't have any experience with the AD8066, probably eliminates me from being the best resource of information on this subject.
biggrin.gif

Actually the 8620 in the Go-Vibe probably allows for a better, closer comparison.

Just so I don't chew through batteries so fast w/ the Pimeta (since I would be using it portably more than plugged into the wall at home), I may end up going the Go-Vibe route. At least I can just order it, do the shoot out and make the decision to either keep both, or sell the Pimeta. I have a feeling that either way, I'll be keeping the Go-Vibe.

So the Maxi Moy sounds as good as the other two?

May 26, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Actually the 8620 in the Go-Vibe probably allows for a better, closer comparison.

Just so I don't chew through batteries so fast w/ the Pimeta (since I would be using it portably more than plugged into the wall at home), I may end up going the Go-Vibe route. At least I can just order it, do the shoot out and make the decision to either keep both, or sell the Pimeta. I have a feeling that either way, I'll be keeping the Go-Vibe.

I tell ya, I'm just a sucker for the Go-Vibe. It's such a fun little amp and packs big sound in a small enclosure, with great battery life to boot. I found myself impressed with the Go-Vibe's sound even after buying a Gilmore Lite...not that the GV was better, but it stacked up pretty darn well considering the price and size!

Quote:

So the Maxi Moy sounds as good as the other two?

I think so. I think the metal case is so cool, though it's heavier than the plastic Go-Vibe and JMT Pimeta. The amp sounds great though, and I'd love to try some 627s in there but battery life would plummet...I'm happy with the 227s for now, they are a nice change of pace from the 8620.
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now I'm trying to decide which one to keep, though. I only listen to headphones at home, so what the heck am I doing with 3 portable amps?
blink.gif
Part of me wants to get something like an M³ or hybrid tube amp, but if I can be happy with the sound of these and save a lot of room then perhaps I should stick with portable amps...there's always the SM 3
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back