PiMETA power supply help needed...
Apr 17, 2004 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
Well, I hope this hasn't been asked 1000 times before, but we're just discussing how to power a PiMETA in Europe over there: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=69300 - so I thought, asking the experienced diy guys/gals might be a clever idea. Problem is: Decent linear regulated DC power supplies over 12 V are hard to find, nowadays, so a little diy solution would be welcome. Personally, I thought about going the standard route with something like a little 30 V transformer -> bridge rectifier (discrete or integrated) -> cap -> 7824 regulator -> cap -> out. I just don't know, whether that would be the right solution for good results... So some help would be very welcome.

Greetings from Hannover & thanks in advance!

Manfred / lini

Apr 17, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Just thinking about it... Jan Meier has the schematic of his power supply on his website.

Dual +/-15V supply, using LM7815/7915. To use it with a pimeta, just scrap the rail splitter and connect directly to +/- rail. The last 2200uF on his schematic can be let aside since equivalent caps are on the pimeta board.

powersupply1mk2.gif

As you're in Germany, you can easily order all the needed stuff quite cheap from Reichelt.

Apr 17, 2004 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 8
you can use that schematic, but make it single supply, not dual and use LM317 instead of L7824

Apr 17, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 8
If you look at tangents STEPS PSU, thats effectively what Glassman is saying. If you're interested, I could build you one and ship it out to Germany for you. PM me if you want a quote, I'm ordering parts for myself soon so now's a good time!

g

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 8
guzzler: Are you refering to the power supply in tangent's PiMETA schematic? If yes, then thanks for the kind offer - but that looks easy enough for me to do that myself and refresh my own soldering skills (or what's left of these
wink.gif
)... I'd still seek for an answer to my original question, though (i.e. whether a simple 78xx based design would be good enough - and if not, then why...).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 17, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 8
guzzler: Hmmm, looks nicely filtered... About how much do you assume it would be?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back