pimeta or millet for low impedence cans?
Mar 16, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #16 of 21
I agree with dsavitsk. The Millet is very easy to do. The only hard part is finding the necessary parts. I'm not sure about a pimeta, I've never built one - but a Cmoy is definitely harder than the Millet.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Pimeta is/can be portable... Millett isn't...

well to be honest it also can be if a person wanted to bad enough.Just modify the tube to lay sideways instead of straight up and use a DC-Dc converter to step the voltage up.A bit of venting would not hurt either.

Tubes HAVE been used before in low voltage portable apps just look at the first hearing aids
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #19 of 21
I've never built a cmoy, it's too difficult. those freaking pads on teh ratshack board keep popping off... I gave up and instead built a few MINT boards

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
the prob with DIY is that i only have limited experience with soldering from my highschool electronics class, soldring simple kits like strobe lights and the sort. Everyone says that your first amp should be a cmoy then move up the ladder. This will only add to cost as im paying to learn with parts and tools that i dont have yet. I know i could sell to recoup but i feel just jumping into what i want now first and have it done right the first time would be my best bet. I will look into tread to see how much it would add.

Grab some old piece of electronic gear- an abandoned computer motherboard, a cordless phone, whatever, and practice soldering a bit. There is ample information and tutorials out there, soldering is a useful lifelong skill to have even if you don't build your own amp.

A CMOY is harder to build than a Pimeta. Pimeta is a larger project, more complex topology but Tangent's board, the online guide, it is something someone with no experience could tackle if build by-the-book, no substitutions and it would turn out pretty good. I think it will be easier than the Millet Hybrid for a beginner, even easier than the CMOY because with the finished and silkscreened PCB, it's more a matter of fitting the part in the hole rather than understanding the topology. Not that understanding it isn't a very important learning process, but in truth someone who didn't have the slightest idea about how it works could still build one.

Tools- In a pinch a little creativeness can substitute for good tools. Nail clippers instead of diagonal cutters, a wet paper towel and a brick instead of a soldering station, some scraps of wire, a $10 soldering iron and a 2" long coil of solder. Not that I'm trying to talk you into it, but it IS a pretty easy way to get started into DIY so long as you don't sweat trying to respec all the parts, just use the default values and read a few threads about the best opamp for your uses.

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
Grab some old piece of electronic gear- an abandoned computer motherboard, a cordless phone, whatever, and practice soldering a bit. There is ample information and tutorials out there, soldering is a useful lifelong skill to have even if you don't build your own amp.

A CMOY is harder to build than a Pimeta. Pimeta is a larger project, more complex topology but Tangent's board, the online guide, it is something someone with no experience could tackle if build by-the-book, no substitutions and it would turn out pretty good. I think it will be easier than the Millet Hybrid for a beginner, even easier than the CMOY because with the finished and silkscreened PCB, it's more a matter of fitting the part in the hole rather than understanding the topology.

Tools- In a pinch a little creativeness can substitute for good tools. Nail clippers instead of diagonal cutters, a wet paper towel and a brick instead of a soldering station, some scraps of wire, a $10 soldering iron and a 2" long coil of solder. Not that I'm trying to talk you into it, but it IS a pretty easy way to get started into DIY so long as you don't sweat trying to respec all the parts, just use the default values and read a few threads about the best opamp for your uses.

hahaha im living proof of that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back