Pimeta compare to Xin v7
Apr 9, 2004 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Buster Sword

500+ Head-Fier
Damn you headfi! you got me up to pimeta. The ceiling is Headsaves price of 160. I seen used pimetas that sold 120 here, so NO MORE Higher please.

Can you tell me how much better it is to spend 40 bucks on a pimeta? Oh the price goes to only a 25 difference in Us dollars when you get a AC adaptor for Xin. The man himself says he guarantees a return policy, i havent seen any return policies on pimetas here. And xin says better than Mint, but Pimeta is based on mint too.
I will be using hd555 or hd580 in the near future, when I get some more money, hopefully by that time a real official review of the hd555 will show up. Basically they are both linear. Oh my source is directly from PS2 and my mini hifi system, also my soundcard. I might buy a new receiver. Dont get me into the 1000 dollar range, i wont hear it. (total parts)
thanks!

the good thing is the options on xin, i can have battery, battery booster and a adaptor wall plug. Can the pimeta do that too? i like both. I dont plan on taking my big ol phones around, but options are great.
How is the mW output compared to the battery pimeta? same as the plug? i assume less power
Same question for xin, 7 batteries would power a akg k1000, but what about a power plug? what is the voltage diff

Apr 9, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 15
The pimeta will probably sound better. I have a headsave elite currently and a supermini 6.2 previously. No contest. The elite is just better. Granted, they both would go loud, but output doesn't mean that much if you take sound quality to heart, in this case. (a supermini with akg1000 wouldn't seem right) If you're looking for mainly a home amp, go for the pimeta, or maybe a mint. And it is possible to have the elite use both batteries and a plug. The only thing is that it would be very costly. If you include the Elpac and the custom dual 9v battery adaptor for the amp it'll cost you over $200. If you're gonna use high impedance phones mainly for home, get the Minime and the custom adaptor for portable use/home use.

Apr 9, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks Kirosia. 200 is over the limit. 160 was already capped, that is 60 over ceiling. I guess Pimeta regular will be fine. But funny thing is there is no rating for Pimeta battery life. I need to know how often I have to buy batteries. Thank God for the 99C store selling decent batteries!
And I should Put Team Jpop on my sig, cause I listen to Jpop!

Apr 9, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

And xin says better than Mint, but Pimeta is based on mint too.

I dont remember the PIMETA being based on the MINT, i thought it was the META42 that was most similar to the MINT. The PIMETA's "circuit toplogy is closest to that of the PPA "

I would recommend using rechargeable batteries, it will be alot cheaper in the long run, especially when compared to dollar store batteries.

-ivan c.

Apr 9, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 15
MINT = META42 Is Now Tiny

It uses the same basic topology as the META42.

the PIMETA is to the PPA what the MINT is to the META42

edit: (knew I had something else to add!) second the rechargables for three reasons: save money, should sound better due to the lower output impedance of NiMH to alkaline, and third: better for the environment

as for battery life, I get about 20-30 hours out of my META42 using 9V NiMH rechargables, so I'd say slightly less than 20 hours for the PIMETA

g

Apr 9, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 15
20-30 eh? Wow, the Xin can do 120 hrs. After reading the V7 is a nice improvement over Meta42 xin says, (and V6) i am intrigued now.
However, Pimeta is refined amplifier. I hope I can have money for this. 160 at Headsave..How is warranty?/return

Apr 9, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 15
I've never heard of anyone getting 120hrs out of a V7, it's a rather inflated figure. Remember the V7 uses AA batteries which have typically 10x greater capacity than a 9V PP3. You could construct a PIMETA using AAs for roughly the same battery life.

AFAIK, the HeadSave warranty is very generous, but get in touch with Norm to confirm all the details

g

Apr 10, 2004 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 15
You could wait for the Xin SuperDual to come out (should be pretty soon now, but that's what we've been hearing for a few weeks). I think it will be in the same price neighborhood as the supermicro. The test reports by Bobjew and others of the latest preproduction unit have been very positive. For updates on the xin superdual, check outXin's discussion board

In the price range you're describing, the pimeta is the design to beat, from what I understand. The superdual may be able to do so, but we won't know until the real units come out

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 15
If you're going low-impedance go supermini/dual. If you have high-impedance phones go pimeta. I think you'll notice a better improvement this way.
biggrin.gif

BTW Jpop and Jrock rule, oh yeah .
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 15
I don't like it when I dont get stats to compare to. I need to know how much power does Pimeta have like in mW.
I read that Hd580 will be most efficient at 300mW, true?

I want to spend a grand total of 300. Less is better, obviously.
So hd555+xin might be a good combo 123+120
but Hd580+pimeta would be better. 150+160. I hope I can get this hd580 for 150 new.
Then again, a few people prefer hd555 after owning hd580. My guess is an aftermarket cable will be available sometime in the future.
I think it would be best not to cross the amps on these 2, as one is harder to drive.

Kirosia, btw in your avatar is that your girlfriend, or just some famous jpop singer, model, someone?

Apr 10, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 15
kcaesthete

Thanks a bunch. Hopefully in a month, XIn will be done. I plan on getting this, superdual as it might be better or similar to Pimeta. Lets keep my fingers crossed that it will be within my price range.

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 15
Just spend a liitle more and buy the Porta Corda .
this amp kicks ass seriously and really speaking a permanent part of any collection as the portable option.
Besides it has great resale value as well.

It will be my portable amp for sure.

Apr 12, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 15
Good luck on your amp choice. You could always sell if it doesn't float your boat.

BTW the girl in my avatar is Lee Hyori (Hyolee), a korean pop star. She was formerly of Fine Killing Liberty (FinKL), and is now solo. I'm not a big fan of their/her music, but she is gorgeous.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #15 of 15
hah, kirosia wishes he was dating hyori... me too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back