Pillow Speakers
May 16, 2004 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stubby

New Head-Fier
I hope this post isn't too out of place in a headphone forum but maybe someone could use the info. I bought one of these pillow speakers
http://ccrane.com/soft_speaker.asp several months ago and really like it. I tried closed phones and canal phones but I'm just to restless of a sleeper and can't stand them on me after just a few minutes. If I do make it to sleep it is usually in a totally flat and rigid position and then I'm snoring like mad and the Mrs gives me a shake and wakes me anyway so the purpose is defeated. Also as odd as it sounds they have too much sound isolation. If I'm not quite tired enough for sleep and I'm just listening I find myself opening my eyes and peeking around the room to see whats going on and make sure no monsters are going to get me. Weird huh?
Anyway, surfing the web one day and I stumble on this soft pillow speaker and I figure, what the hey, I'll get one. I really like it. I can lay on my side which is the way I like to sleep, I can listen out of the other ear and monitor the other sounds in the room if I need to and it doesn't disturb the Mrs. I took two safety pins and pinned it fast in the northeast corner of my pillow so it can't move. This turns out to be a good position for me in that after I fall asleep the speaker is out of the way and not under my head the whole time. Also if I get tired of listening I can just move my head off the speaker and it goes quiet. I like to listen to ambient/spacemusic to help me sleep and with the volume at a good acceptable level and my ear away from the speaker I can't hear it which is cool because then I don't have to bother with taking my headphones off and laying them gently on the floor and I just let the cd player play on and shut itself off.
Obviously the speaker is mono but the jack is stereo so both channels are going to the speaker. IMHO the bass is fine and the highs are fine. It doesn't sound like a cheap ,plasticy ,tinny little speaker to me. It sounds quite nice. Keep in mind my selection of music. YMMV with more demanding music.
I've been using it now for over two months and I am more than pleased with it. I not affiliated with the dealer (ccrane) just a happy and sleepy customer.
cool.gif

Hope this is of some use to someone.
Thanx
Eric

May 16, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 14
I've had that pillow speaker from C.Crane for several years. I use it mainly for talk radio sometimes when I can't sleep. They've actually been around since the early sixties.

A very neat little gadget!

smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot
What kind of stuff are you listening too? Could you give names of bands/artists and stuff?

I'll recommend some even though I'm not that guy.

Sigur Ros
Explosions in the Sky
A Silver Mt. Zion
Chroma Key
Mogwai

May 17, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
I'll recommend some even though I'm not that guy.

Sigur Ros
Explosions in the Sky
A Silver Mt. Zion
Chroma Key
Mogwai

i dont mean any disrespect but umm...since when are ANY of those ambient or spacemusic (except maybe sigur ros a little bit)? the most ambient band i personally listen to is tortoise and i dont really know nay others. the ones you listed are more on the rock side of the scale then ambient (but youve listed 4 of my favorite bands there).

anyway...pillow speakers...i dont think i would buy them. i dont listen to music when i sleep anymore. they seem kind of neat though.

May 17, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by furiousgeorge
i dont mean any disrespect but umm...since when are ANY of those ambient or spacemusic (except maybe sigur ros a little bit)? the most ambient band i personally listen to is tortoise and i dont really know nay others. the ones you listed are more on the rock side of the scale then ambient (but youve listed 4 of my favorite bands there).

anyway...pillow speakers...i dont think i would buy them. i dont listen to music when i sleep anymore. they seem kind of neat though.

A Silver Mt. Zion is ambient space post-rock, and Mogwai has some ambient stuff.
Chroma Key is ambient trip-hop, and I guess Explosions in the Sky don't count but I love them.
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 14
what u can do is take some grado's and lay them under ur pillow. you can also put them next to ur pillow since. Turn them up a little bit and u can hear them quite easily. this method works with almost any kind of cans. my a900's leak a lot when they're not on, well, u think this would happen with any kind of headphones that could get loud other than like earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back