Pie-in-the-sky, if you could have anything, product suggestion thread.
Jan 19, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #121 of 144
It appears many of the portable users use Ipods. The later Ipods have been shown to be able to output digital audio if an external authentication chip is used (ala the Wadia iTransport).

There is a real need for portable HDD-based digital out devices, like the old iRiver HP120.

So my vote is for some sort of portable dock or cable that uses the Apple authentication chip so that Ipods can be used with the Micro Portable or Desktop portable. Or this functionality could be added to those amps, either as standard equipment or as an option.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #122 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by velingara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my vote is for some sort of portable dock or cable that uses the Apple authentication chip so that Ipods can be used with the Micro Portable or Desktop portable.

A HUGE second to this suggestion. I'm waiting anxiously for someone to make such a portable solution.

Jan 20, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #123 of 144
I would like to see either an internal upsampling DAC as an option for the desktop balanced or a standalone upsampling DAC with balanced analog outputs in a desktop sized enclosure with power input compatible with the DPS. See where I am going with this?
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #125 of 144
I believe the word was there was no room in the desktop unit for a max dac and the balanced hardware

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #126 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by velingara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the word was there was no room in the desktop unit for a max dac and the balanced hardware

That is correct, it is both a size and heat issue in the Desktop chassis. It simply can't be done.

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #127 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by drummerboy47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A HUGE second to this suggestion. I'm waiting anxiously for someone to make such a portable solution.

I'll third it, if votes make any difference. A digital out for the unmodified iPod would be a huge advantage: so huge that it makes me wonder whether Apple would leave the field free for a third-party developer ...

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #128 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is correct, it is both a size and heat issue in the Desktop chassis. It simply can't be done.

I believe it can not be done with the current modules (but then again I did not say it had to be the current Max Dac), however unless the Pico is breaking the laws of physics (and the ultra-microDAC is itself pretty small [and I know it is not balanced]) I refuse to believe it absolutely cannot be done. Can't be done currently, can't be done economically, etc. I'll buy, but absolutely can't be done? That just doesn't sound like Tyll
biggrin.gif

Nevertheless, a balanced standalone upsampling Dac in the desktop enclosure should not be that hard, there are already such units out there that are in a comparably sized chasis.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #129 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I refuse to believe it absolutely cannot be done. Can't be done currently, can't be done economically, etc. I'll buy, but absolutely can't be done? That just doesn't sound like Tyll
biggrin.gif

It can be done, but we'd have to put fans in the enclosure and/or holes in the top and bottom of the chassis. Actually, we could have done it and it would work, and we'd have gotten away with it ... for about five years. Then all the power supply electrolytic caps would start being so degraded from the heat that the sound quality would slowly start to suffer and at about 8 years out the gear would be sounding worse than the Home electronics. I wasn't going to build something that was guaranteed to break eventually.

Quote:

Nevertheless, a balanced standalone upsampling Dac in the desktop enclosure should not be that hard, there are already such units out there that are in a comparably sized chasis.

That's doable, just not doneyetable by us.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #130 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can be done, but we'd have to put fans in the enclosure and/or holes in the top and bottom of the chassis. Actually, we could have done it and it would work, and we'd have gotten away with it ... for about five years. Then all the power supply electrolytic caps would start being so degraded from the heat that the sound quality would slowly start to suffer and at about 8 years out the gear would be sounding worse than the Home electronics. I wasn't going to build something that was guaranteed to break eventually.

O.K. I'll buy that (well not literally). That is certainly an answer that makes sense and I can appreciate. I just received my P500 back from PS Audio, who replaced a bunch of caps due to how hot that baby runs. I'll need to give it another inch of breathing room underneath.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's doable, just not doneyetable by us.

I love that answer too. Way to dangle the carrot
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #131 of 144
A portable headphone amp that is in the Refernce-Hornet-CordaMove sound/price/size class but that has an adjustable bass dial(like Lisa amp). That would be the biggest seller ever amoung all portable amps for sure!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #132 of 144
A high-quality amp/dac that gets its power via firewire from my iBook. No muss, no fuss, no batteries. <$500. In other words, something between the Total Bithead and the much more expensive Micro series, to put Headroom back in the competition with so many other new amps on the market. I'd understand if you went USB/PC compatibility instead of Firewire. But Firewire feeds 12 volts and eliminates the need for batteries.

Oh yeah, throw in Dolby Headphone just for giggles.

Tim

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #135 of 144
A change in the model of Maha 9V battery charger sold. The MH-C490F is available with a universal power supply for only a couple of bucks more (part #MH-C490F-DCW). This would, in my opinion, be a better charger to sell at HeadRoom, since international customers could use it as well.

Also, selling the charger as a kit with 4 batteries (think 2006 Micro Stack) for a discount would be nice--even nicer than buying the kit w/3 batteries directly from Maha Energy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back