Pie-in-the-sky, if you could have anything, product suggestion thread.
Jul 12, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #46 of 144
How about licensing technology from a company like Spectral Audio to make a headphone amp. I would think ultrafast and high bandwidth would really work with the small drivers found in headphones.

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #47 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'll elaborate here.

HeadRoom Audio Gear Protection

Cases and bags made not just for HR amps, but audio devices/accessories in general. Also, many of us have more than one (read several) headphones and/or amps. I'd love to see a nice looking case capable of holding multiple phones in some sort of moldable protective material. Why would this be useful? As an apartment dweller in Manhattan, space is at a premium. I have a fair amount of gear, and Mrs. Monkey doesn't love when it gets spread all over the place. Add a curious Baby Monkey to the mix and you can see the need for a system that would allow one to stow gear in stylish protection while maintaining easy access.

Or how about a case with pre-installed cables. There would be a DAC pouch, an amp pouch, and a DAP pouch. Cable runs from DAP or CD pouch to DAC and AMP. Cable from DAC to AMP. Cases are great but its hard to fit the cables inside, but cables pre-installed, THATS THE TICKET!

Jul 18, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #49 of 144
Since you guys already have your own set of amplifiers but don't have any HeadRoom headphones, I suggest you start your own line of headphones a la ALO Audio and make some perfect "HeadRoom" sound HP+Amp combo a la Grado's RS1+RA1. That would be 1337.

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #50 of 144
Headroom financing.
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #51 of 144
Oh no.... now not only will legions of young adults be tempted into the torturous credit pitfall of credit cards, car leasing, and funiture leasing: BUT ALSO HEADPHONE AMPS.

Get an Amp without having the money.... oh thats dangerouas.... that is dangerous. Very smart go for it!

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #53 of 144
This is already been suggested, but I'd kill for an all-in-one DAP with the quality of a micro-stack, that supports a lossless codec like FLAC.

The current solution of a DVD player + desktop portable/micro stack is hardly portable, and a more portable DAP + amp, which is still a kludge, has inferior sound quality.

It would be good for Headroom to pursue because the market for DAP's is huge. Of course, it would be more expensive than just an amp alone, but I think there is reason to believe that the simplicity of an all-in-one solution would make it an easier sell to the average joe. You don't need to explain what an amp is or what a dac is, you just need to explain that here's a DAP that'll blow your socks off. For the hifi enthusiast, the elegance and sound quality would appeal nicely. It also fits in well with Headroom's existing line of products.

I think it would be pretty successful. I don't think a product like this could compete well in price or in features compared to the myriad of other DAPs out there. But, judging by how many people go through the trouble of modding ipods and carrying around all these wires and extra do-dads to get great music on the go, I think people would be willing to pay a premium. And, to me at least, gee whiz features, like viewing photo's on a 2 inch screen, are more a novelty than anything essential.

Jul 27, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #55 of 144
Tyll, pie-in-the-sky? OK! How about a HR Maxed Balanced Amp in a smaller case, say, 30-40% smaller in width and length. Perhaps a double unit with a separate same-form PSU. Same quality components, only spread out over two separate cases -- similar to the Desktop Amp/DPS, but bigger. The current maxed size is just too big for my headphone listening environments.
hrmb_fsc2.jpg

Also, how about a really cool line of Headroom Headphone stands. Top of the line would be made of Hawaiian koa! Other woods could kick in for different wallets, and maybe even brushed aluminum or chrome. To come up with a killer design, how about a contest for head-fiers. Best design gets one of your amps -- you decide which.

Jul 27, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #56 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll, pie-in-the-sky? OK! How about a HR Maxed Balanced Amp in a smaller case, say, 30-40% smaller in width and length. Perhaps a double unit with a separate same-form PSU. Same quality components, only spread out over two separate cases -- similar to the Desktop Amp/DPS, but bigger. The current maxed size is just too big for my headphone listening environments.

Ah, they do have an upcoming solution! You buy 2 Ultra Micro amps, 2 Ultra Micro DAC's, if you are going all out 4 DPS's for isolation or just 1 if you feel like 'saving', then make yourself a fairly complicated set of cables to route the original and inverted balanced signals to the right place, then make yourself a special balanced headphone cable using two minijack outputs and bam, you have yourself a balanced Ultra Micro thingymjig. Of course, you'd also need something to invert the phase at one of the DAC's - get them to put a phase switch on it!

Or, commission a special order Desktop Balanced with Max electronics and black gate caps. It would probably need some case ventilation, but what's a few ugly holes in a case for great sound?

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #57 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, they do have an upcoming solution! You buy 2 Ultra Micro amps, 2 Ultra Micro DAC's, if you are going all out 4 DPS's for isolation or just 1 if you feel like 'saving', then make yourself a fairly complicated set of cables to route the original and inverted balanced signals to the right place, then make yourself a special balanced headphone cable using two minijack outputs and bam, you have yourself a balanced Ultra Micro thingymjig. Of course, you'd also need something to invert the phase at one of the DAC's - get them to put a phase switch on it!

Or, commission a special order Desktop Balanced with Max electronics and black gate caps. It would probably need some case ventilation, but what's a few ugly holes in a case for great sound?

Is this the pie-in-the-oven response?
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #59 of 144
Dear Santa,

I would like a slim (say 1/4") amp that is sized to dock right onto the back of an iPod. The iPod should snap right on via the dock connector (no annoying dock/IC cable), and the whole assembly should stay together securely and have a removeable belt clip. The amp should run on batteries as long as an iPod does, and both should charge from the same cable, that is, an iPod dock cable.

And I want it to have HeadRoom sound quality and crossfeed, like all your amps do. I know it wouldn't be your best sound quality, but if I could get merely very good SQ, without all the dangly bits usually associated with an amp, that would make it a very viable on-the-go solution for me.

I realize you'd have to rev the amp every time Apple changes the iPod's form factor. I suppose that could get expensive. On the plus side I guess I'd have to buy a new amp every time I upgraded iPods.

Seriously, now that 3D printing/rapid prototyping is coming down in price, I wonder if precision custom casework like this need still be a big barrier, assuming the electronics can be made small enough to fit.

Jul 28, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #60 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stranger things have happened...

100_3201.JPG

Wow! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. I'm afraid to ask: "How?" and "Why?" and "Is this the way to pie in the sky?"
EDIT: And I forgot to add, "What is it?"

Actually, it looks really cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back