Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #946 of 37,569
Quote:
  MERRY CHISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL HEAD FI MEMBERS.I do enjoy the Tera Player!!!

Lucky Baby  
beyersmile.png

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #948 of 37,569
Dec 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #949 of 37,569
Believe it or not, it is somehow possible. It depends on the interface between the transport & the DAC source.
I'm on my iPhone Tapatalk now but if you guys search for Shigzeo's review of the early Go-DAP 4.0 with firmware 1.04, you'll notice he did measurements of (something, can't remember what now) vs the CLAS as transports out to external DAC.
The very same iDevice, depending on whether it's using the Go-DAP or CLAS, outputting to an external DAC/Amp sounded quite different. The Go-DAP sounded quite dull. VentureCraft issued a firmware update v2.0 to improve the situation & did a commendable job but still couldn't match the CLAS.

Thank you for your help Anakchan

I do not know to much theory , but in that practice I compared them ,
As transport the SQ from AK 100 better than dx 100 and iPhone 4S.

I guess , could be the stereo crosstalk from AK 100 is the highest about 120
Compare to my iPhone 4 S about 90.

I heard from AK 100 more detail and has better soundstage and very clean SQ

Minus : only direct AK 100 has not enough power for all rounder.
It is very good for iem and sensitive headphone .

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #951 of 37,569
Thank you for your help Anakchan
I do not know to much theory , but in that practice I compared them ,
As transport the SQ from AK 100 better than dx 100 and iPhone 4S.
I guess , could be the stereo crosstalk from AK 100 is the highest about 120
Compare to my iPhone 4 S about 90.
I heard from AK 100 more detail and has better soundstage and very clean SQ
Minus : only direct AK 100 has not enough power for all rounder.
It is very good for iem and sensitive headphone .

do you really mean transport? doesnt seem like you do, or you have made the mistake of thinking the Dac analogue specs listed apply to the digital out? there is no digital crosstalk, the crosstalk has no effect on digital output. I doubt you will find the AK100 still has lowest crosstalk for low impedance headphones, this is where having a 4 pin jack comes in handy. When you have a high Z output compared to the load impedance, the effect of crosstalk from shared ground and the poor construction of mini phono increases.

You would be superman if you could hear the effects of crosstalk at your worst case 90dB down for the iphone with music playing. put it this way, having your volume turned all the way down is likely to be roughly -40dB reduction on the vast majority of amps, making -90dB signal voltage 100000x lower

(edited, voltage is more appropriate)

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #952 of 37,569
do you really mean transport? doesnt seem like you do, or you have made the mistake of thinking the Dac analogue specs listed apply to the digital out? there is no digital crosstalk, the crosstalk has no effect on digital output. I doubt you will find the AK100 still has lowest crosstalk for low impedance headphones, this is where having a 4 pin jack comes in handy. When you have a high Z output compared to the load impedance, the effect of crosstalk from shared ground and the poor construction of mini phono increases.
You would be superman if you could hear the effects of crosstalk at your worst case 90dB down for the iphone with music playing. put it this way, having your volume turned all the way down is likely to be roughly -40dB reduction on the vast majority of amps, making -90dB signal roughly (more than) 65536 x lower in power than zero volume...

Hi qusp

I do not know exactly , why as transport AK 100 better than my iPhone 4 S?

That's why I said I guess , I am sorry if I make mistake qusp

AK 100 sounding very detail , has analog mid , bass very clean and detail and very low noise

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #953 of 37,569
probably something in the clocking or spdif output circuitry of AK100, jitter will be higher in the peculiar UAC1 version of iphone USB->i2s->spdif conversion also (notice the extra conversion too), even if onboard clock is the same. I prefer well done USB2.0-i2s to spdif in home hi-fi, but doing an spdif output from the source/transport directly without all the smoke and mirrors could easily provide better sound.

no need to apologize, I was just bringing it to your attention and correcting it for the thread, the crosstalk numbers have no effect at all on the digi out connection, left and right signals are combined/interleaved on the same wire/s in digital out, only DSD has it separated (but with a combined clock). so they are already having 100% crosstalk :p, but when the bits are pulled out, a left will not be mistaken for the right

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #954 of 37,569

My portable rig :)

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #956 of 37,569
Yup its a corda!

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #958 of 37,569
One of my favourite portable headphone ultrasone ed 8 ruthenium

Source : iPhone 4 S
Portable amp : Tralucent Audio T1
Portable headphone : ultrasone ed 8 ruthenium
Cable : Lod to Mini van den Hul tone arm cable DIY
Balance cable for ed 8 from whiplash audio twag elite v2
Balance to mini solid core 8 braid DIY

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #959 of 37,569
Very good news for owner fostex hp p1 and cyberlab class solo first edition can works with lightning connector

Source : iPad 4
Dac : fostex hp p1 and cyberlab solo class first edition
Amp : alo continental v2 tube amp
Headphone : ultrasone ed 8 ruthenium
Cable : Ventura craft lightning to USB
Mini to mini 8 braid solid silver core

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #960 of 37,569
Quote:
probably something in the clocking or spdif output circuitry of AK100, jitter will be higher in the peculiar UAC1 version of iphone USB->i2s->spdif conversion also (notice the extra conversion too), even if onboard clock is the same. I prefer well done USB2.0-i2s to spdif in home hi-fi, but doing an spdif output from the source/transport directly without all the smoke and mirrors could easily provide better sound.
no need to apologize, I was just bringing it to your attention and correcting it for the thread, the crosstalk numbers have no effect at all on the digi out connection, left and right signals are combined/interleaved on the same wire/s in digital out, only DSD has it separated (but with a combined clock). so they are already having 100% crosstalk
tongue.gif
, but when the bits are pulled out, a left will not be mistaken for the right

Qusp, thank you for the clear explanation. This is why I love Head-Fi. Us non engineering types have access to a great knowledge base.

Merry Christmas to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back