Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Aug 13, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #20,882 of 37,597

Wow. Grados are a rare sight around here. Especially the 325-series - often see people them dismissing them.
They get fairly little love around these parts, i feel.

Main reason why people do not like Grado is because (i believe) they are very source dependent (how to control the brightness). For portable amp, i think Phatlab Sassy so far is the best one for my Grado. Also, as many people who might already know, Grado is not as genres friendly as many other phones as well, especially if bass was the one they looking for. But for instruments Violin/Cello/Classical, Grado, in my personal opinion, still perform best in term of accuracy and realistic level, and they are very easy to drive.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #20,883 of 37,597
Wow. Grados are a rare sight around here. Especially the 325-series - often see people them dismissing them.
They get fairly little love around these parts, i feel.

Main reason why people do not like Grado is because (i believe) they are very source dependent (how to control the brightness). For portable amp, i think Phatlab Sassy so far is the best one for my Grado. Also, as many people who might already know, Grado is not as genres friendly as many other phones as well, especially if bass was the one they looking for. But for instruments Violin/Cello/Classical, Grado, in my personal opinion, still perform best in term of accuracy and realistic level, and they are very easy to drive.
This is crazy talk I just posted a pic of my 325is like last week! And THEY'RE JUST BRIGHT ENOUGH

so there lol

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #20,886 of 37,597

I cannot elaborate on their source dependants, as I have not tried enough sources to have a good picture of that.
In terms of genre diversity, I would politely disagree. To my taste they can play almost any genre well (in this category, the ATH-AD-series for example is worse). But if there are to show their full potential and do what they were designed to do, it is indeed a fairly narrow type of music, namely little layered, acoustic music.
Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz1V0gaCsK4

What I meant is that Grados are generally overlooked in favour of RS1e. But out of all the Grados, i think the 325-series brings the most 'new' to the table in terms of the Grado sound. Which why I didn't go for the Alessandro, as they somewhat smoothen the highs.
This is crazy talk I just posted a pic of my 325is like last week! And THEY'RE JUST BRIGHT ENOUGH

so there lol

People always find them too bright and piercing. I never found them splashy. Aggressive, in-your-face, timbre-focused, treble focused, FUN...yes...but never hot.
We need more treble heads.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #20,888 of 37,597
Tonight's rig. Disproportionally weird, but for good reason.

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #20,889 of 37,597
What I meant is that Grados are generally overlooked in favour of RS1e. But out of all the Grados, i think the 325-series brings the most 'new' to the table in terms of the Grado sound. Which why I didn't go for the Alessandro, as they somewhat smoothen the highs.

People always find them too bright and piercing. I never found them splashy. Aggressive, in-your-face, timbre-focused, treble focused, FUN...yes...but never hot.
We need more treble heads.
+1000

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #20,890 of 37,597

Oops I thought you had blower before taken
uB0XZ.jpg

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #20,893 of 37,597
I this Ak70 and Mojo? How does it sound? There was one report of the AK70 USB out being crappy/noisy.

Not my stack i took it off Dignis Twitter but it doesn't matter what source it will sound like the Mojo. For A&K the AK70 is the 1st to suppourt USB out, the rest of the 300 line USB out is comming soon some people already got there hand on a pre release firmware and USB work

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #20,895 of 37,597
Not my stack i took it off Dignis Twitter but it doesn't matter what source it will sound like the Mojo. For A&K the AK70 is the 1st to suppourt USB out, the rest of the 300 line USB out is comming soon some people already got there hand on a pre release firmware and USB work
Well the first to test the Ak70, Audionewbi, reported a bad quality USB out. So if you don't know just say it, don't give me conjectures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back